xisto Community
googlue

Are Mobile Phones Dangerous? to the users health...

Are mobile phones dangerous?  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just can't help keeping attacking this calculation! B)

This calculation is completely wrong.

That's because watts = joule / second, so power equals work divided by time.

So you can't say if a mobile phone has a radiation of 3W in one hour, it will have a radiation of 6W in two hours. The power will not depend on time, since the work will increase with time, and as I already said, power = work / time. So power will be constant. That means if a cellphone has a radiation of 3W in one hour, it will also have a radiation of 3W in one year!

This may seem a bit confusing, but it's true. You can't measure watts in time. You must measure the total amount of energy delivered.

So with that, in ten years, the total radiation power will still be 3 watts, right?

Well, not even that. Let's do the calculation once more.

Let's say you talk using the mobile phone 1 hour a day (that is more than I use it in one year, by the way). The average power would then be:

3W * 1h / 24h = 3W / 24 = 0.125 W

...oops.

And by the way, at school I got 6 (the best grade possible) both in my oral exam in mathematics and in our last science test about energy. B)

This calculation is not quite correct. It should be:

1 hr/day x 365 days= 365 hours

1 Watt = 1 Joule/s

365 hoursx 60 mins/hour x 60 secs/min = 1,314,000 secs

1,314,000 secs/year x 3 Watts = 3,942,000 Joules / year

So every year the cellphone emits 3,942,000 Joules, however not all of this gets absorbed by you.

Compare this energy release with that of sunlight:

The Sun emits 1370 Watts per square meter.

1370 Watts/m^2 x 0.5 m^2 = 685 Watts

1 hour x 60 mins/hour x 60 secs/min = 3,600 secs

685 Joules/s x 3,600 secs/hour = 2,466,000 Joules / hour

Compared to the energy of the Sun, the power of the cellphone is negligible. But the cellphone's energy is in microwaves while the Sun's energy is mostly in visible light, so we still can't tell if cellphones are that dangerous. I don't think that cellphones are that dangerous, but if you overuse them too too much they might be dangerous.

This calculation is also not quite correct:

The error is that weight does not accumulate, it only counts when the cars are on the bridge. If the bridge can hold up to 40000 kg, then that means it can hold a maximum of 40 cars at one time. As long as no more than 40 cars are on the bridge at one time, the bridge will not break.

Hope you guys enjoy this physics explanation! :P

Thanks you guys that posted a long time ago! I just love poking fun at people who use arcane calculations to try and make something seem more fascinating.

Okay, radiation does not accumulate over time. It's like light--it doesn't build up. If you turn a light off, it turns off. Also, radiation is pretty constant; radiation will not steadily get worse as you talk on your phone. Another thing: a less powerful source (i.e., a cell phone) will not penetrate as far as a more powerful source (i.e., a microwave oven), no matter how much time is involved, because microwaves do not carve pathways through your skull. So, I don't think that talking for an hour a day on your phone for years is even close to as harmful as sticking your head in a microwave oven for a couple of minutes. If anything, people should be worried about TV radiation....

Are Mobile Phones Dangerous?Are Mobile Phones Dangerous?

Mobile phones are now considered to be one of the most dangerous pollutants of the 21st Century and are more dangerous than smoking and asbestos. Electro pollution is an invisible toxin but it surrounds us. Scientists estimate that we are now daily exposed to 100 million times the EMF of our grandparents. They liken it to being in a room filled with cigarette smoke, but at least you can open the windows and doors for fresh air, it is not so easy for electro pollution! Research shows that these fields have a significant disruptive effect on the natural energy levels of our bodies. Our body?s energy as well as our cellular communication system is altered by the high frequencies of EMF. Man-made radiation magnifies our bodies ?fight or flight? responses compounding the effect on our adrenals and significantly reducing our ability to effectively cope.

After a two-minute mobile conversation, cognitive function (electrical activity) is disrupted in a human brain for up to an hour and the radiation penetrates deep into the brain. A twenty-minute conversation degrades cognitive functioning for up to three hours after a call. The risk of car accidents is four times greater when the driver was using a cell phone or after making a call and shows that heavy mobile users are involved in up twice as many fatal road accidents. Driving while talking on a mobile phone is similar to the hazard of drink driving plus the effects last for hours afterwards.

Continuous exposure to EMF drastically distorts our cellular communication pathways, resulting in abnormal cellular metabolism and ultimately disease. The cell function deteriorates, cell membranes harden, nutrients cannot get in and toxins cannot get out and this breakdown of healthy cellular process leads to biological chaos in our body.

Hundreds of studies have shown the harmful effects of EMF on the immune system, enzyme syntheses, nervous system, learning, moods and behavioural patterns. Some of the biological problems specifically include disruption to the blood brain barrier, genetic damage (birth defects) and increases in cancer. Research has been done showing the risks of behavioural problems in children whose mothers used mobile phones when pregnant and the children themselves who use mobile phones from young. Children with their more vulnerable brains and nervous systems are at the greatest risk. Dr George Carlo, chief scientist of the world?s largest research effort into wireless safety and spent 6 years and $28 million, but became convinced that mobiles are VERY dangerous. He says that in 2006 - 50 000 brain and eye cancers were diagnosed caused directly by mobiles. By 2010 if we do not intervene half a million cases will be directly attributable to mobiles. The good news is that we are at the beginning of the epidemic curve so have the opportunity to intervene.

The largest emerging population of mobile phone users are teenagers and young adults. Dr Carlo?s early findings discovered that using a mobile for 500 minutes per month doubled or tripled the risk of eye and brain cancers. Teenagers have become the unwitting guinea pigs in a massive mobile phone experiment.

-reply by enoch adewale

Yes they are dangerous, 'cos they have radioactive elemetns in it and when it collect's signals it's very dangerous :DBut still, Bilions of peope use phones, and they don't care about how much is the phone dangerous, I don't care eather :)

I dont feel mobiles are so dangerous that using them will make us burn ourself.Its just that v get addicted to them and may be taking technical terms into consideration, our skin near our ears might get discoloured due to heavy usage. I dont know but, i made a wild guess. Apart from that I feel, since the phone is kept attached to ears, may be there exists some sort of bacteria in our ears which start developing due to insufficient air flow. This may make the person to hear less which can be treated well.Other than this, I dont think there would be any serious problem by usage of phones.

In the present era, mobile phones have made our life much more easier than it was earlier. All of us are using cell phones to communicate with each other..even I am using them... rarely there would be a person who is not using cell phones in his life. But since every good thing has its harm also. So I believe that mobile phones are dangerous to our health. First of all they emit harmful radiations which is absorbed by our body and if I am not wrong this radiation can also cause harmful disease like cancer and can also increase the susceptibility to brain tumors or brain cancer. Secondly, the batteries in these mobile phones may also become unstable in extreme heat or in certain circumstances where a battery or other part is defective and these defective batteries can explode also...like a bomb. Recently many cases have been reported when the batteries inside the cell phones have exploded even the one of the best mobile phone provider i.e. Nokia has been found to have such batteries which have exploded... dangerous BL5C batteries. However, these occurrences are extremely rare. Despite of knowing all this I am using cell phones because now I can't imagine my life without my cell phone.

Let's put aside the fact that mobile phones emit radiation and what not. Just think of it this way - using mobile phones on a constant basis disrupts your social life and it becomes an addiction to talk for a long time daily or send a hundred or so messages daily. So if you see it from this angle, using them is really a dangerous activity. Your mind gets disrupted at all times and your head keeps buzzing if you talk too long.

Coming back to the radiation part, there is strong evidence to show that mobile phones are dangerous from this angle as well ;) but still, we can't live a long time without them. So let's just live a shorter life with them :P

View 1 is my view.
Let me give another example:
Cars are driving over a bridge with a frequency of 10 cars per minute. The bridge can handle upto 40000 kg. Each car weighs about 1000 kg.
10 cars = 10*1000 kg = 10000 kg
We then quickly find out that the bridge will break in
40000 kg / 10000 kg = 4 minutes!

:(

yes, a good example.. :) In first place, a weak radio waves can't penetrate the human skin, so there is no point to count foward at all... It just looks big, but it's not.
Edited by Originalas (see edit history)

Cell phones? Yes, they're inconceivably dangerous, they may kill us all. First off, they have a lot of potential as weapons. Smartphones are the new hot thing, and these smart phones can have all sorts of apps... Increasingly powerful apps... It won't be long before we see knife apps, concealed handgun apps, and even grenade apps! Sure, it has great military applications, but other than that it's scary. Plus, they do have a bit of weight, if thrown hard enough at someone's head, they can cause serious trauma.Then there's the radiation. The radiation is toxic to all human beings, and it can turn them into zombies. You may have a sibling or friend already succumbing to the intense rays. Showing mild symptoms, such as being unable to stay too far from the phone at a given time, over-chattiness, and lack of an in-person social life. Soon, phone users will turn green, acquire a taste for human flesh/brains, and smell like sour Mentos. And of course, they emit powerful waves of human carelessness into the atmosphere that create giant red footprints on the surface of the ozone, which make the earth hot and create water that floods the cities and stuff.Cell Phones: They'll kill us all. :)

Edited by Spudd (see edit history)

The fact if mobile phones are dangerous or not probabily started like a rummor that got spread.. and narrow minded people believed it. It's easy to say.. "studies have been made" just for the sake of conversation . That's my personal opinion so NO I Don't think you can get cancer from talking on your mobile phone.A person can get cancer by almost any thing these days.. it's definetely the most common reason for death all around the world.I think that someday the scientists will be able to cure it but until that day people will keep on dying and there's nothing we can do about it.One of the bad things about curing this disease is that it has maaany forms , there's all kinds of cancer and that's why there will have to be invented a vaccine or something.. for each one of them.Currently from what I've heard they actually can cure some of the types like.. breast cancer and a few others but only if the disease is discovered in early phase.. so be sure to get checked by a doctor from time to time. You never know......Stay safe.

Mobile phones can be dangerous too while driving, not even by radiation.According to research at the University of Utah, stating that the person speaking on his cell phone while driving - no headset or speakerphone - is as reliable as a drunk driver and takes longer to reach its destination.The study also highlights another side effect: people who drive while talking on the phone, arrive later than expected at destination. Among all students who have contributed to research, those who spoke on the phone while driving to travel a given route took nearly 30% more than those who took such firm hands on the wheel without distractions telephone. But this could be a relative value: a slowdown is likely, but its magnitude may be difficult to measure. It is plausible to assume, in fact, that the experiment involved students - although engaged in a telephone conversation - have kept pace prudent and cautious because they are aware of the major risks associated with distracted driving. So mobile phones are multi-dangerous. :angel:

Edited by webishqiptar (see edit history)

the mobile phone dilemma is one that's been around since mobile phones were invented. I have heard al sorts about technology giving us caner. Mobiles phones frying our brain cells and all sorts. I mean there are immediate dangers we get from using mobile phones like lack of concentration especially while driving or in control of machinery which sometimes leads to massive danger to ourselves or those who are unfortunate enough to interact with the vehicles or machinery being operated. But when it comes to things like cancer from mobile phones i think there might be a little insy wincy tiny weeny exaggeration. Please bear in mind that this is not a fact bu just my reasoning and its possible i missed a lot of facts or am blinded by my own thinking lolNow i have heard that radiation from mobile phones can be bad, a few years back there were even theories that a hundred mobile phones all actively in calls simultaneously produced enough microwave power to boil an egg or fry one which ever he case would happen in the event of no water being present. basically for the sake of this discussion can I please say fry for lack of a better term it was said they would produce the same microwave activity to fry an egg. Using common knowledge and from what we all hear doing rounds in gossip we are led to believe that mobile phones will fry our brains and render us cancer stricken over the years. But surely there is more power leaking from microwaves and colour televisions that by now we should be all dying if that was the case. I mean we are all never that far from a radiation emitting source after all as they say we ruled by the three screens, the TV screen, Computer screen and Phone screen. All which a few years back were dangerous as the CRT screens (the old bulky TV's were said to be a cancer inducing risk and so were the old CRT computer screens.) and the mobile phone was radiation leaking so we should all be by now having a high cancer risk but reality is possibly that the leaking radiation is so minute that even if we lived to 200 we would only be beginning to start the cancer process. Which reminds me of a program i once saw on the television. there is a team is geeks who put theories to test one such theory they put to test was the 100 mobiles phones all working at the same time have the power to fry an egg so they got 2000 phones, 1000 of the the older brick types and 1000 of the newer color screen types to even out the the test. The laid a normal egg and broken egg (just the insides of the egg) in a plastic cup on a pile of phones with settings on auto answer. They had volunteers who had already pre-dialled the numbers of the other mobile phones on the ground all press the call button and within a few minutes they had all connected to the auto answer phones. they carefully laid the calls on the eggs and left them over night which meant the calls either disconnected when the credit ran out / batteries died out. I doubt it as an issue with the credit running out but more of the battery dying out as the whole science test as they called it was sponsored by one of the mobile phone companies in UK. The next day about 24 hours later they retrieved both eggs from the pile and lo and behold non of them were fried or boiled or even slightly cooked. The experiement say only lasted as long as the average battery life of a phone but it did to some extent prove that the theory that radiation in mobile fone calls wasnt that terrile. There obviousl is a little bit of it obviously but i doubt anyone will be getting their brains fried by it.

Another confirmation on how dangerous mobile phones can be if not used in a responsible manner. A driver in Uk ran over a Bride to be as she was on her way to buy a wedding dress. She had been trying to make calls 16 times prior to the accident. meaning probably by the that time he was frustrated at not being able to connect to the person he was trying to ring on the mobile phone. they say he says he'd stoped using the mobile fone at the left turn before the impact point and the meters wer recorde as 72 metres from the said corner. It is said he was travelling at 25miles per hour and they say he had 62meters of clear visibility of the victima and could have stopped in time had his mind not be pre occupied with calls he had just been trying to make. Obviously the scientist are claiming that for the distance he drove he wasnt fully alert and this was a direxct reult of his mind wandering cause of the call he had just made. I have heard previously that they clain that for a further 16 seconds after disconnecting from a conversation on a mobile phone our minds are actually still processingt he conversation basically doing minutes on what was transfered. Meaning you mind takes on average a further 16 to chuck out the useless infor and select the crop from the chuff as to what needs to be stored or was valuable in the conversation. This is true to some degree because when we finish on the fone we do sort of play back the highlights or the trailer of the conversation we just had and at times you smile to yourself if what was said made us feel good, or laugh or be happy.So they have arrested him for dangerous driving, driving with out due care and culpible homicide and using a mobile phone while driving. I guess for him the sheets hit the fan. (Yes I know - Spelling error was actually intentional).There you have it. Mobile phones arent dangerous on their own but in the hands of irresponsible people can result in them being a dangerous gadget. I dont think its fair on the mobile to say it is Dangerous unless you are refering to the old brick mobilee fones which would double as a brick when two peopple were fighting and one pulled it out to use as a weapon during the fight. Calling Mobile Phones Dangerous is like calling alcohol Dnagerous because drunk drivers run and maim and kill innocent people at time. Its not the product thats bad. Its the irresponsible use of the product.

I just found one more great forum "Are Mobile Phones Dangerous?" I voted yes. I don't have any double blind clinical studies, but I have experience using a cell phone. I used to carry my phone in a phone case with swivel belt clip - It was attached to my hip about 12 to 16 hours a day. I read about 10or20 years ago cellphones had been studied in the UK and found to cause cancer. Recently that UK study confirmed cellphone use causes cancer. I would always feel a sensation on my hip where I carried my cellphone even when the phone was not on me. When I drive by those large antennas' inside cement fences or no fence I feel my hair stand up and my scalp tingle, I didn't even have to see the antennas. As for bluetooth headsets I say lets just rush the signal to the brain, I believe wearing a bluetooth on my ear would end up keeping it in place for 16 hours a day and I would stop remembering anything. I say the cellphone industry is the next Phillip Morris governments will be suing them to cover medical expenses for this country and probably other countries as well.