xisto Community
Matt2

Windows Vista Will you be upgrading?

I got windows vista. You know you can still buy compters with Windows XP so if you're buying don't be scared. I somehow got vista and installed it and found out it was the x64 bit version, so not much programs are compatible, but windows vista is good if you like having a sexy computer, it'll blend in with a 'sexy' looking case and stuff but for MY recommended system specs:Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 2.66GHz4GB Corsair Dominator Memory80GB HDD2x nVidia GeForce 8800GTXThat'll keep you happy, anything under and it won't be so good.

I got windows vista. You know you can still buy compters with Windows XP so if you're buying don't be scared. I somehow got vista and installed it and found out it was the x64 bit version, so not much programs are compatible, but windows vista is good if you like having a sexy computer, it'll blend in with a 'sexy' looking case and stuff but for MY recommended system specs:Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 2.66GHz
4GB Corsair Dominator Memory
80GB HDD
2x nVidia GeForce 8800GTX

That'll keep you happy, anything under and it won't be so good.

HUH you've got enegry and hungry beast. I am glad to see that someone has really machine that can beat vista's needs. Also You might post us few pictures to watch that beauty and eye kandy as someone said.

Also how are all effects running and aero in fact I most interested in?

Turns out, Vista came with my laptop I have. It has it's pluses and minuses. The looks are more customizable and can be personalized more which is nice. I really like the voice recognition tool. I can dictate what I want my computer to do, or type which is really helpeful. You can have it correct mistakes by speaking as well, it learns your voice the more you talk to it. It takes a bit of getting used to but there are some nice tools that come with it, when you hold the mouse over the window open at the bottom, it will show a small size of what is on the page or what is occurring. The problem for me is it used up too much system resources. I can't play the games I want to play on it because Vista itself is already using 69% of the physical memory and 14% of the CPU. So if you want to play games on it you are gonna have to spend a bit more for a better computer. I am going to keep Vista on my laptop though because I use it for school and samller things while my Desktop Computer will be for gaming and that I will keep XP on. It really depends what you want to do with your computer on whether you should upgrade or not.

Plenoptic have you ever searched how much your laptop would cost without vista sometimes windows come with computers for free sometimes you give big bucks on them so you might check this.The biggest problem is and this thing no one considers is that people are not checking the computers when XP came on. You see the thing here is that vista came a bit ahead of hardware the same thing happens with XP everyone were speaking how it uses way too much resources and you cannot run properly any program and so on and so on. But after some half year or even year everything stopped then everybody argued about XP security, I see that similar thing will happen also here. Because people are now saying how vista uses a lot of memory processor power and so on. Well it does and this will not change however in the half year time or a year it will be casual system requirements. Computer hardware which will be sold in the half year time will in fact be normal and everyone will stop complaining. Of course considering those who buy new computers and so on.Then they will find something new to complain against Microsoft it is always against Microsoft also I would like to say that Microsoft started revolution in computers and it will stay as that although people are mostly talking against them there are millions users for the Microsoft and will stay using Microsoft products. And furthermore, microsoft is always bringing new things to the general public even though Linux may have had it some years before them but it is alive when general public sees it and not five geeks somewhere.

Too late for me, I've already upgraded, though I kept my original XP in a different Parition, so I can use both. But Vista is only about eye candy, nothing more. It wastes alot of RAM and Hard Disk Space.My Recommended Specs for running Windows Vista x64 or x86
:
Intel Core 2 Extreme - Overclocked to 3.2GHz
4GB DDR2 or FB-DIMM RAM
4TB HDD (2 2TB HDDs)
nVidia Geforce 7950 GX2

so if you can't buy that, Win vista won't really be good on your computer

btw, a system like that costs around US$10,000 from Alienware

first off unless your designing graphics or multimedia in the industry, those specs are not really neccessary, first off I don't know anyone who has a @tB hard drive out in the market, I know of 750GB and maybe a 1 TB hard drive but not 2 TB Hard drives, 4 gigs are ram again is unnecessary as well since 1 gig is needed to run it and so 2 gigs of RAM should be able to run a vista computer with some smoothness. I would say you are correct that you would need the core series of processors to handle the graphics and everything else but overclocking it would be a risk to not only burning your computer you could in fact slow it down even more.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 2.66GHz4GB Corsair Dominator Memory
80GB HDD
2x nVidia GeForce 8800GTX

Although you trimmed it down just a bit 2 graphics cards is a bit unecessary as well unless your into making extreme graphics and multimedia stuff on your computer. 4 GB of RAM still a bit unnecessary again as also expensive If I remeber correctly from looking a dell computer 4 gigs of ram can go from 1000-1500 dollars. Which is a bit much for a just a regular home user just checking their email or playing solitaire. You should make mention that with these computer specs would be required for any type of multimedia at a business or movie industry level. When I customized the new Mac with the 16 gigs of ram I built a movie industry computer to about $20,000 and that was to cover 16 gigs of ram 3 TB of Hard drive space and pretty much every top of the line component you would need.

Even a extreme gamer doesn't really need all that unless money is no option and they want to play a graphics heavy game. I know I mention in a post or two that a 512mb ram computer my parents have con run vista home premium, I don't how it could since this model is about 4-5 years old and the componants about 7-8 (referring to hard drive, RAM, processor, graphics card).

I know I will be going a bit extreme when I go ahead and build my vista computer from scratch but I will see what I really would need to what I want to put into this computer.

Those specs are good but they are really not needed to run windows vista my friend who has a copy of windows vista has a computer that has a graphics card that is weaker than that and it runs windows vista just fine. He did not have 4gb he only had 512 mb and it was running real smooth with all the adobe products the works the only time that it started to get slow was when he put 3d studio max on there so now he has to get 1gig in other for him to run vista faster.

Plenoptic have you ever searched how much your laptop would cost without vista sometimes windows come with computers for free sometimes you give big bucks on them so you might check this.
The biggest problem is and this thing no one considers is that people are not checking the computers when XP came on.

You see the thing here is that vista came a bit ahead of hardware the same thing happens with XP everyone were speaking how it uses way too much resources and you cannot run properly any program and so on and so on. But after some half year or even year everything stopped then everybody argued about XP security, I see that similar thing will happen also here. Because people are now saying how vista uses a lot of memory processor power and so on.

Well it does and this will not change however in the half year time or a year it will be casual system requirements. Computer hardware which will be sold in the half year time will in fact be normal and everyone will stop complaining. Of course considering those who buy new computers and so on.

Then they will find something new to complain against Microsoft it is always against Microsoft also I would like to say that Microsoft started revolution in computers and it will stay as that although people are mostly talking against them there are millions users for the Microsoft and will stay using Microsoft products. And furthermore, microsoft is always bringing new things to the general public even though Linux may have had it some years before them but it is alive when general public sees it and not five geeks somewhere.

I am not saying I am against Microsoft. I know hardware gets cheaper as we go and that's why I originally was going to wait before I was going to buy it because right now I can't afford to spend more money on a new computer because I'm 15. I planned on waiting but I needed it for school. At this point in time the computer uses too much resources for me to do what could do on my older laptop which I no longer have. I'm sure things will be better in the future, especially with things becoming smaller and cheaper. I like Vista and I'm sure it'll be as good as XP but I know for a fact if I put XP on this laptop that it will be able to do more. Ya better security is good but I had no problems before with security problems so I'll just wait and keep XP on my Desktop.

Those specs are good but they are really not needed to run windows vista my friend who has a copy of windows vista has a computer that has a graphics card that is weaker than that and it runs windows vista just fine. He did not have 4gb he only had 512 mb and it was running real smooth with all the adobe products the works the only time that it started to get slow was when he put 3d studio max on there so now he has to get 1gig in other for him to run vista faster.

those specs are a little overkill I have tried the pr release beta version of vista on mine with these specs:

emachine: T6528
vista capable

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor with AMD 64

Technology(2.2GHz, 2000MHz system bus, 512KB L2 cache)

Operating System: Genuine MicrosoftŽ WindowsŽ XP

Pro (SP2)

Chipset: NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 6100

Memory: 512MB DDR (1 × 512MB), 400MHz

(PC3200)Expandable to 4GB

Hard Drive: 160GB (7200rpm, 2MB cache)

Optical Drive: 16x multiformat dual-layer DVDÄ…RW(Up to

8.5GB with dual-layer media)Write max: 16x DVDÄ…R, 6x

DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RWRead

max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM

Media Reader: 9-in-1 media card reader (Memory

StickŽ, Memory Stick ProŽ, MultiMediaCard, Secure

Digital, CompactFlashŽ, MicroDrive, SmartMedia, xD,

USB 2.0)

Video: NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 6100 GPUUp to 128MB of shared

video memoryPCI Express (PCIe x16) slot available

Sound: 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio

Network: 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN

(RJ-45 port)

Modem: 56K ITU V.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)

Peripherals: Premium multimedia keyboard, 2-button

wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers

Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 (1 in digital media manager,

4 in back), VGA external connector, parallel port, 2

PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse), 5 audio ports (2 in

front, 3 in back)

as per my last post only problem i had was some drivers and software would not work
but this is only temporary problem until they upgrade driver and software for vista

Hm Interesting however most graphical things that movie industry is actually doing is done in the linux and open source software. I would like to point out that windwos XP had working memory 1GB that is RAM memory or sometimes even 1.5GB if you haven't done some extreme engeniring it would not go over this number. However because of paging every Operating system uses it today you could run XP on some 512 MB or even 256mB everything less would make your computer suffer and your hard drive even more because the rest had to be read often from hard drive.With vista it is 2 GB normal paged memory however some testings on my faculty heave pushed it till four MB and they don't expect that normal user will ever push it over. So if you have Vista and 4 GB of memory it will work really nice and without any problems. However most of the time it might not even use all that abundant memory it of course depends what are you using your computer for. If you are developing some new 3d engine then it really might use it all or even more.However when you run your programs they should be saved in the memory and then you shouldn't experience any delay when opening any of those programs. So to say.

"Windows Vista is a line of graphical operating systems used on personal computers, including home and business desktops, notebook computers, Tablet PCs, and media centers. Prior to its announcement on July 22, 2005, Windows Vista was known by its codename "Longhorn".[1] Development was completed on November 8, 2006; over the following three months it was released in stages to computer hardware and software manufacturers, business customers, and retail channels. On January 30, 2007, it was released worldwide to the general public,[2] and was made available for purchase and downloading from Microsoft's web site.[3] The release of Windows Vista comes more than five years after the introduction of its predecessor, Windows XP, making it the longest time span between two releases of Microsoft Windows.Windows Vista contains hundreds of new features; some of the most significant include an updated graphical user interface and visual style dubbed Windows Aero, improved searching features, new multimedia creation tools such as Windows DVD Maker, and completely redesigned networking, audio, print, and display sub-systems. Vista also aims to increase the level of communication between machines on a home network using peer-to-peer technology, making it easier to share files and digital media between computers and devices. For developers, Vista includes version 3.0 of the .NET Framework, which aims to make it significantly easier for developers to write high-quality applications than with the traditional Windows API.Microsoft's primary stated objective with Windows Vista, however, has been to improve the state of security in the Windows operating system.[4] One common criticism of Windows XP and its predecessors has been their commonly exploited security vulnerabilities and overall susceptibility to malware, viruses and buffer overflows. In light of this, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates announced in early 2002 a company-wide 'Trustworthy Computing initiative' which aims to incorporate security work into every aspect of software development at the company. Microsoft stated that it prioritized improving the security of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 above finishing Windows Vista, thus delaying its completion.[5]Windows Vista has been the target of a number of negative assessments by various groups. Criticism of Windows Vista has included protracted development time, more restrictive licensing terms, the inclusion of a number of new Digital Rights Management technologies aimed at restricting the copying of protected digital media, and the usability of other new features such as User Account Control."is the best windows.

I don't think I will upgrading or downgrading to Windows Vista. I find it sort of retarded how they have how ever many different versions of Windows Vista. I guess they can use it as an excuse now because their Windows operating systems is so spread out. I probably don't know what i'm talking about. haha. My friend wanted to get Vista just because it has Aero technology. It looks cool but its almost the same as the mac concept of scrolling windows in tabs or whatever its called. The start menu has a search function and its organized differently. So I'm not going to upgrade anytime soon. If I did it would be with a new computer or laptop.

The specs issue is rather interesting. Microsoft seems to be assuming that every single one of their customers can afford to upgrade their hardware every five years. (Though, I guess that if you can afford Vista, you can afford the hardware upgrades..)Instead of getting the "all-new" (not...) Vista B$, and having to buy a new comp (I would have to) to run it, I figured out it's possible to load partitions into ram on boot. I've been using Linux for quite a while, now, but this was new to me. Basically, since accessing RAM takes a lot less time than accessing the hard-drive, you can load, say, /lib into ram, and pretty much all of your programs will load instantly. It's pretty awesome, and you don't need much RAM (I have 512MB) to do it. Just takes the know-how :unsure:I would avoid Vista as much as I can. It just seems so inefficient when you are using it. -E

I may or may not upgrade. I'm not sure yet. I am waiting for the Operating System, Altimit to come out and I want to try that out because the beta version wont cost as much as the fully released and I doubt it will cost as much as Vista does. I want to try out Altimit for a little while and if I really like it then I'll stick with it. If its not too hot then I might upgrade to Vista but I might have to get a new PC because mine has to much crap on it so it might not be able to handle Vista. Thats kinf of why I haven't upgraded and a PC that is compatible with Vista will most likely cost much more than a $1000.

Easy answer:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOnever will i get vista. my dad has it and itSUUUUUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXMicrosoft alone sucks... thats why i use linux. Open source is always better