xisto Community
Matt2

Windows Vista Will you be upgrading?

lol that voice exploit surely is a funny oneit helps the user to write a kind of terrorist letterand the biggest joke is that they published it on the newsmicrosoft surely is good in inventing fake stories about what happened like:- broken mic- too much noice- mic volume- etci wonder what they will say next ;)

vista looks great, but it demands alot of processing power, my comp has neither the processo or ram or even hardrive space to support vista @.@ so i won't be using vista til i get a new comp or upgrade my current one. besides, the price tag is still really high, i'll wait for it to drop so that its more affordable~~ if you don't need it, why buy it? ^^

personal opinion:

everyone who downgrades is retarded or otherwise mentally impaired in some fashion that prevents them from seeing the glaring stupidity in what they are doing. Thank you.

truth:

There is absolutely NO benefit of downgrading to vista (which, FYI, means chicken in latvian). Do you all remember what it was like a little while - say, half a year - after XP was originally released? I do. People weren't so happy about things. Even that was not a good thing. And I'm just saying that from my VERY, VERY BRIEF experience with vista that this will be worse. 1000$, you say? You wish. In your sweet dreams. It's cheap in the US compared to Norway. But then everything is.

I would like one of the people who are considering downgrading to vista (or who have already done so) to take a quick read through the 100 best things that was posted in the first post(I'm not going to waste my time doing it), and write down every one of the items on the list that:

1) are actually new.

2) are actually an improvement.

Good luck.

From my POV, there are two things about Vista:

1) It hasn't changed much

2) It has changed TOO much

Those may seem to contradict one another slightly, but they don't. They apply to change in different ways:

On the outside, to the common average user Joe, vista is nothing revolutionary. There is no change, beyond the nastily shiny (and may I say terribly ugly) UI. Aero isn't actually even usable by all systems. For the 30minutes I used Vista for, I found out that my computer wasn't even powerful enought to run the 'great new graphics'. AND IT DISABLED THEM FOR ME. How retarded is that? I should be able to control what goes on in my own computer, with an O/S that I have given BLOOD to buy (well, I didn't, but that's another matter). It's rather sad that they won't run on my laptop, which runs every combination of the FOSS equivalent (beryl, compiz, etc) perfectly. But that they don't trust that a user can make a descision on their own is absurd. I should be able to take the consequences of my own actions, and if I'm stupid enough to do something with my system that I shouldn't have, then I deserve to take the full consequence of my actions. I consider myself a responsible person. Clearly, Microsift doesn't. So there is nothing new about that. And did you know that Aero wasn't actually made by M$ themselves? Smooth sailing.

On the other hand, MS seems to be trying to take over your computer COMPLETELY, now. DRM; HardDrive Lock; WGA - all methods that take your control and dump it right in MS's hands. It is a complete change in direction for the people who actually know what they are doing with a computer. With XP, they prided themselves that you could take a HDD out of one computer, dump it in a box of a completely different configuration and after 15 minutes and one reboot you could have a fully operational machine. It also worked with 98 (I know from experience). And that is a remarkable feat, I must admit. Not many Linux distrobutions can claim as much (also from experience). With vista and it's WGA, you can't change a component of the machine without it locking. Your processor dies on you (most likely BECAUSE of vista) and you have to get both a new processor and a new license. The latter likely twice the price.

DRM. Digital Rights Management. You can't watch something vista doesn't think you own. If it thinks you don't, vista will pwn you and your system. How *BLEEP*ed up is that? I can understand that they don't want people DLing unauthorised media and the likes, but a computer shoudl do what YOU, the USER wants it to do. Vista isn't an improvement for the user. It's an improvement for the producers of content. An interestingly relevant quote:

ESTRAGON: We've lost our rights?

VLADIMIR: (distinctly) We got rid of them.

As indeed we are. Excuse me. As indeed YOU are. Stick with what you have.

I have recently been told that shell is switching to vista sometime soon. Just had all the software ported from UNIX, which worked fine for all our needs, to Red Hat linux, which worked slightly faster - though admittedly not much, and it was probaly not worth the change for most employees. Every little bit of speed is needed for big operations - they get left on overnight as it is. And now they say port all that *BLEEP* software to Windows Chicken. Not gunna ask what the people who USE it think. The only possible reason I can think of is that the higher ups want to impress people with having their sections running vista. Impress? the only thing that's impressive is the PRICE. But I guess that however little it makes sense, some people will always think that the expensive things are somehow better than the free stuff. I'm SO glad Vista isn't the best thing available, and I'm SO glad I still have the choice in my own home to choose the O/S I want to use all inside my stupid little retard user brain, with no uncle bill to tell me. But how long will it last?

Vista comes with a very interesting new feature HardDrive Lock. I didn't explore this feature AT ALL, and for obvious reasons, beyond confirming that it does indeed exist. It sat there in the top right corner of the Control Panel (which of course hasn't changed more than any other part of Vista) looking at me with this evil stare... 'Click Me, I want to pwn your HDD and destroy non-M$ files....' I left it well alone, as mentioned. Unforteuneately, not everyone did. And as often as not, it gave no information as to what it was going to do. Now, I understand that what I said about being responsible for my actions, but there is a difference between crashing the GUI and LOCKING THE HARD DRIVE. I assume from the anguished posts by the less forteunate that they could no longer edit the partitions. I believe that they have taken this feature further since, but I can't prove it ;)

So... What changes are there in Vista that are new AND good?

I am asking the world: What good lies in Windows Vista?

We just talked about this today in computer class.There really isn't anything that Windows Vista has that Mac doesn't. It seems to me that Microsoft has been looking over the shoulder of Macintosh and taking every one of their ideas.Ah well I'll still use Windows, but I'll stick to XP.

some gamers are being forced to get the vista cause they said in order to play the new halo game for pc you need to have vista installed. I am going to get vista cause it is going to come on my dell xps computer which i am getting cause i am going to college also with xp i can do a lot of stuff so i am going to get vista.

I hate to be pedantic, but have you noticed that your keyboard has a range of PUNCTUATION MARKS?So, you are getting vista because it comes with the XPS. Last I checked, the XPS had about the same specs as my laptop which came for about half the price. But that's a different matter. Is there any reason you would go over if it didn't? Don't those disgusting shiny graphics attract you? Or the availability of thousands of completely new, next-generation packages of malicious code that will be able to infect your system? Sounds great to me...

I don't really want to upgrade at all. Ever. Which is why I use Linux quite alot. I would use it more, but I get better performance with games on XP.It doesn't seem to add anything, other than to kill some games performance. The new user interface doesn't really intrest me, as I normally turn it to its lowest possible amount anyway (So Windows classic interface on XP). What annoys me is that Microsoft are going to release DirectX 10 for Vista, and only Vista. Windows XP is perfectly capable of using DirectX 10 if they added support for it, so I am going to have to miss out on all those fun games with the shiny new graphics. (Won't bother me untill about 2012, as I usally play games that are arround 5 years old.

I wont be upgrading, infact im even more pushed away from windows now! A. Its tooken WAY to long for the release and it isnt a great improvement realy, yeah, it has better security , but a mac has better, year it looks cool.. But a mac looks cooler, Yeah, it has a new way of going through windows, macs have a better more efficient way. B. Its super expensive! Im not paying 125$ cdn for a upgrade to the basic version, hell for 200 and some dollars i can just get a ibook! C. Ive started to do alot more of that hip, trendy media stuff all those kids do like Photoshop and Flash, and etc, and well, id like to have a better platform for it! D. I hate having to reboot and troubleshoot everything like WHY MY SOUND WASNT WORKING or, etc. E. I need a labtop!. F...! Macs are alot cooler! And finaly the one we've all been waiting for! G! I want something thats not a piece of junk.