xisto Community
BuffaloHelp

New Custom Bbcode Called [hide] use this tag to hide your spoiler or a punch line

I made this custom bbcode called HIDE to hide part of your post. The usage goes like this:

[hide=option]Just insert what you want to hide.[/hide]

Here is an example of above bbcode. Please use your forum login name as the option. This will make the code work smoothly with multiple usage.

[hide=buffalohelp]Just insert what you want to hide.[/hide]

If you want to use more than one HIDE code in a single post, you MUST use it like this:

[hide=yourname1]Insert the hidden text one.[/hide][hide=yourname2]Insert the hiddent text two.[/hide]
This will show as

[hide=buffalohelp1]Insert the hidden text one.[/hide]

[hide=buffalohelp2]Insert the hidden text two.[/hide]

You'll note that yourname1 and yourname2 were used. If you were to use the same option field with the same variable, only one will open and the other will not. And the reason I've made it to use your forum name is to differentiate among all HIDE codes in a topic per page. This is crucial.

If you do not use distinguishable option values this is what will happen:

[hide=name]Inserting code[/hide][hide=name]Inserting second code[/hide]
This will show as

[hide=name]Inserting code[/hide]

[hide=name]Inserting second code[/hide]

As you can see, the second hide code does not show and it triggers the first one.

For the full list of available BBcodes for Xisto board, please visit http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?actmp;type=bbcodes

A word of caution: Words within the HIDE bbcode will still earn you hosting credits. Members using HIDE to post and paste articles to gain hosting credits against Xisto forum rules will be warned immediately without exception. The earned hosting credits will also be reversed.

Thanks guys and enjoy using <_<

PS there's a possibility that your browser security can block the proper function of this code. When you see a security block message "blocked active content" either allow Xisto as your trusted site or allow this script to run. That is up to you.

This feature is really interesting, it might be useful with large articles or tutorials, and a person can write a summary and "click here to show" the rest or something.

Hey Xisto now has a spoiler (they are called spoilers, right <_<). Better use would be something like this:

Did you read the latest Harry Potter book. Who would've guess that [hide=hp]Thingy[/hide] died? Now discuss!

Hey Xisto now has a spoiler (they are called spoilers, right <_<). Better use would be something like this:

Ya now we can hide the part of who dies and what not or whatever if people don't want to know. People can use the hide for quotes and what not as well like talk about an article and say to view the article go here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ or just have it in quotes.

[hide=Plenoptic]

here's the article

[/hide]
So I guess BBCodes are just like other scripts made into something simpler? Anyway that's cool, good job Buffalo.
Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

So what does this do? What is it for? I am not reallyunderstanding what it does exactly? So if someone could just explain to me what this does. I know that is hides text but why would we want to do that???!?!?

Typo there are many reasons why people would use this. You could have a riddle and hide the answer and after someone guesses they can click to show the answer, or like I said before instead of showing a huge article they can hide it there and people can click if they want to read it (of course still in quotes) or if there is a spoiler to a book that would give it away people can hide it from those who just want to read the other information or they could use it for some content that younger users should not read like Albus' Joke that you replied to earlier.

Wow this is perfect for so many things. I will have to use this. You should put the HIDE tags in the main reply box next to to the Quote and Code buttons. I think people would use this more too.

nice work. That must be one of the best Bcodes. It has become very popular the last little while. I have see many forums using it. It is also very helpful to get other members to thank people for the stuff they post without just reading and not posting anything.

Tis I think, as everyone else should agree, a great idea! i think i will find this very useful, and I have already have need of something like this, but it wasn't around. Thanks for updating this into our bbcode stash!

Thanx for creating this code. This wii be very useful while posting long posts and tutorials. We can display only the headlines and hide the contents. The contents can be viewed by clicking corresponding to the headline.Thanx once again for this addition.

and would you believe buff wrote this code himself <_< its awsome!this will most definatly come in handy with me because i am a big harry potter fan so i post spoilers every so often >_< and [hide] is easier to remember than [highlight] lol, newho good job buff!

UPDATE

I am sorry for all previous HIDE tag users. I will be making corrections as much as I can for those who have been using HIDE=option tag.

The new HIDE tag will not require for you to enter the option field. Simple use HIDE text here /HIDE.

[hide]Hidden text here[/hide]
Sample below

Hidden
Hidden text here

FAQ

Q: After editing my post which contained HIDE, my hidden message does not show.

A: The new HIDE code requires random number to be generated when a page is refreshed. Simply refresh your page after editing and you will see your hidden quote.