xisto Community
iGuest

Is Creating A Real Website A Very Difficult Job? Need Help!

i thik not at allif you want an flash site then it might be diffucult then it might be hard but for html is childs play to create a siteif you want one you can use one as said above or try kompozer as its easy to use as well as powerful

I have read all the tutorials, listened to countless advice about creating a webpage, tried to understand the very difficult alien language of HTML, tried everything for twenty-four hours and still I cannot make a webpage. I figure creating a real webpage is one of the hardest of things to do, this is why so many people go to the atrocious made easy myspace.com or pay other people to make a website for them. Seriously speaking, not to criticize anyone, but I find making a website the most frustating task I have ever had to undertake. I feel like I need to take up a one to two year course just to make a webpage. When I heard about how Xisto was the best webhost, I was astonished, they sure do have the best resources, but for a noob like me using those resources to create anything has become mission impossible.

Hey buddy....if you think html is hard than when you try to do css your life will be turned upside down. Trust me.

I have read all the tutorials, listened to countless advice about creating a webpage, tried to understand the very difficult alien language of HTML, tried everything for twenty-four hours and still I cannot make a webpage. I figure creating a real webpage is one of the hardest of things to do, this is why so many people go to the atrocious made easy myspace.com or pay other people to make a website for them. Seriously speaking, not to criticize anyone, but I find making a website the most frustating task I have ever had to undertake. I feel like I need to take up a one to two year course just to make a webpage. When I heard about how Xisto was the best webhost, I was astonished, they sure do have the best resources, but for a noob like me using those resources to create anything has become mission impossible.

Heck, is HTML really that hard for you? You sound like you know a little bit about computers. If you've ever looked up "website creator", you can find a few decent website creators out there. Weebly is personally my favorite quick website creator. I pay for the premium version, and I find it really easy to create quick websites if I need to. Since you can't get the hang of HTML, you can try to get a book at the library about HTML(That's what I did. I also learned Visual Basic and Python that way). If you're like me, don't try to take tutorials online. I, personally, cannot read more than four or five pages on the computer without my eyes getting strained. (In fact, that's how my cousin convinced me to get a kindle, but that's another story). If you seriously can't learn HTML, you can just look up free templates on the web, and try editing those with a program such as Adobe Dreamweaver.

Dreamweaver can be used for 30 days without any payment needed. I commonly use it to edit HTML and CSS(similar to HTML, just to increase functionability of webpages and make them look pretty) that I don't really understand. I find it the hardest to postition pictures just right on a webpage, so I commonly use dreamweaver to help position the picture for me. It's basically like editing a Word Document. You can move around pictures, edit text, insert widgets, ect. After 30 days, your trial expires, and you have to pay for it. I believe it is something like $400, so only unless it's going to be a long-time investment, don't buy it. (Dreamweaver can also be used to design Javascript applications). If you don't want to use dreamweaver, a free alternative is Notepad++. It convieniently highlights text for you, to indicate arguments, stuff that will and won't work, widgets, ect. It doesn't have a pretty interface like dreamweaver, but works all the same. I always store a copy of it on my flash drive.

I hope this helps you out, dude. Please feel free to reply.

Sincerely,

Thejode.

Creating a website is as simple or difficult as you want it to be. Things that affect the level of difficulty can include: proper coding, concerns for accessibility, variety of languages used, stylistic requirements, and functional specifications.Of these, the most significant would be the functional specifications of your website. If you're making an online image editing platform, that's going to be considerably more difficult than a simple page that offers a cookie recipe.No one language can determine the difficulty in developing your web page. I say this due to the fact that I believe I read someone saying that websites created in Flash are more difficult. This is simply not true. A website that uses advanced features of any language outside of HTML can fall anywhere along the spectrum of difficulty, with no one language consistently being the "most difficult" for all purposes. (For example, many visual AJAX applications are much more time-consuming/difficult to develop than those made with Flash/Actionscript.)Finally, the difficulty of the process will also depend on what tools you're using to put the website together. Creating a website with Google Sites, for example, won't seem nearly as difficult to the average user as, say, creating the website in Notepad.

Hi!@armynavy123Well, it's not CSS per-se that is difficult. It is coming up with the CSS that works across the whole array of different web browsers that are out there that turns into a killer of a job. Can you believe that a half of the Saudi web population still uses Microsoft Internet Explorer 6?Chrome frame probably makes things a whole lot easier, though it has come under a lot of criticism. We don't see anybody else doing anything about having to support Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, so if Google does make the first move why does that have to upset everybody?@nolanWith all of the fancy jQuery plugins that are available today, developing a visually appealing website with the effects that were previously limited only to Flash applications are now becoming a reality. Not that it was impossible to create using conventional Javascript alone, but it was extremely time consuming to code it all in Javascript without using third party libraries.

I agree. You'll be seeing a lot more flash/java-killer apps in the near future, as well, as HTML 5 gets rolled out. Things like the new canvas element allow for a lot more graphical flexibility inside of traditional web pages.

My point was merely that you can't explicitly say that coding a web app in any one language is consistently more difficult than with any others. Some things that you could make quite easily with Javascript take a bit more work with Flash/actionscript, and vice-versa.

@nolan
With all of the fancy jQuery plugins that are available today, developing a visually appealing website with the effects that were previously limited only to Flash applications are now becoming a reality. Not that it was impossible to create using conventional Javascript alone, but it was extremely time consuming to code it all in Javascript without using third party libraries.

In my opinion you should start learning HTML with Macromedia Dreamweaver in Design mode. Step by step with this program you just need to create the visual part of a website and modify it easily. I was a complete beginer with html and stil managed to create a few websites in this program. You can switch from design to Code with just one click so you can see what happens with each one when you modify the other , that's how you learn it... you see what every design change modifies the code and vice versa.Also it's even easier if u choose to start from an already made template from de web (it's full of them , dont need to search too much) and re-design it by your own will , to suite your website.Even so..for the past time i discovered that it's not worth to make a HTML website , it's easier to start with blogs , forums, etc.. they are much easier to set up , but alot harder to maintain. More difficult to get known on the web , to attract traffic ..etc.. you know how this things work :P.Good luck.

Although a lot of it is about the graphics, and the coding, it is always good to remember things about how people look at it.

I wrote something on this a while ago; http://forums.xisto.com/topic/64546-how-web-design-is-important-what-really-makes-a-design-good/ Feel free to read it, and use it to your next website you design, it is very useful.

I actually believe it is difficult to create a good website however, making a website that you want to share with others and just use to express your own belief is probably the easiest. Its simple if you take the time and look over how other sites generate revenue, traffic, and overall display their content and also you should look at how using your website to its maximum extent. There are tons of other sites that can teach you how to become SEO efficeint or Search Engine Optimization, you can learn how to write amazing blog articles or build buzz around your site and the best way to generate revenue whether through advertisments or sales. If you require any links I can help you with that. Also if you need help with XHTML or CSS I believe I am adequate enough to teach you the basics if HTML or designing in general is becoming difficult for you.

It is not simple,but it isn't so hard if you are using templates.With templates,all you need to do is to replace site name/slogan and site text.Sometimes templates are licenced,so author leaves a link from his website or profile.You can use templates for stupid tricks or profiles.But if you want to create a professional website like portal or network tool you need to know how Web works.Web is connected to HTTP/SLL/FTP/PHP/ASP/HTML.You need time to learn all that.But that is just the start...There is more.If you want to create design,not just HTTP/SLL/FTP/PHP/ASP/HTML,you need and CSS and Image creating too.So to create a website you need software,like DreamWeaver,Photoshop,Gallery Creator.Real website creating is like software development.You can use free renders,but you can write source code,too.

If you want to start learning all that now,try to search on Google for HTML and CSS tutorials.After learning that search on YouTube,how to use your knowledge to create a website.After learning that you will see how much complicated is to do all that.There are hundreds of ways to create a real website.Also you need to know how to make your website popular.So you will need to learn SEO too.There are things which will come and come.So you can't create a list what you need,that is relative.It depends on what kind of site you need and if you choose one thing,another thing will appear.If you choose to code your website in PHP,SQL will come.If you choose to use Joomla,lots of Joomla functions will come,because Joomla is not customizable if you don't know programming and using Joomla! functions.

I don't need to say more.That is the simplest way to explain all what you need to do,and is difficult job to do it.A short answer:

CREATING WEBSITE IS JOB,AND PEOPLE GET PAYED FOR CREATING WEBSITES

In my opinion you should start learning HTML with Macromedia Dreamweaver in Design mode. Step by step with this program you just need to create the visual part of a website and modify it easily. I was a complete beginer with html and stil managed to create a few websites in this program. You can switch from design to Code with just one click so you can see what happens with each one when you modify the other , that's how you learn it... you see what every design change modifies the code and vice versa.

Also it's even easier if u choose to start from an already made template from de web (it's full of them , dont need to search too much) and re-design it by your own will , to suite your website.

Even so..for the past time i discovered that it's not worth to make a HTML website , it's easier to start with blogs , forums, etc.. they are much easier to set up , but alot harder to maintain. More difficult to get known on the web , to attract traffic ..etc.. you know how this things work :P .

Good luck.

Excellent advice! :D

It is not simple,but it isn't so hard if you are using templates.With templates,all you need to do is to replace site name/slogan and site text.Sometimes templates are licenced,so author leaves a link from his website or profile.You can use templates for stupid tricks or profiles.But if you want to create a professional website like portal or network tool you need to know how Web works.Web is connected to HTTP/SLL/FTP/PHP/ASP/HTML.You need time to learn all that.But that is just the start...There is more.If you want to create design,not just HTTP/SLL/FTP/PHP/ASP/HTML,you need and CSS and Image creating too.So to create a website you need software,like DreamWeaver,Photoshop,Gallery Creator.Real website creating is like software development.You can use free renders,but you can write source code,too.

If you want to start learning all that now,try to search on Google for HTML and CSS tutorials.After learning that search on YouTube,how to use your knowledge to create a website.After learning that you will see how much complicated is to do all that.There are hundreds of ways to create a real website.Also you need to know how to make your website popular.So you will need to learn SEO too.There are things which will come and come.So you can't create a list what you need,that is relative.It depends on what kind of site you need and if you choose one thing,another thing will appear.If you choose to code your website in PHP,SQL will come.If you choose to use Joomla,lots of Joomla functions will come,because Joomla is not customizable if you don't know programming and using Joomla! functions.

I don't need to say more.That is the simplest way to explain all what you need to do,and is difficult job to do it.A short answer:

CREATING WEBSITE IS JOB,AND PEOPLE GET PAYED FOR CREATING WEBSITES

I agree the technologies involved can make it as complicated and as technical as you like, but for beginners, keep it simple. Start with basics in any of the things mentioned in this thread, and develop from there.

The other important factor is imagination. You are limited by the extent of your imagination in how your website will look.

Excellent thread, btw.

:P

If you have knowledge about HTML/CSS/PHP/ASP/JSP then starting up with design and coding becomes easy. Even more easier if you use existing frameworks and CMS. But you'll get hit with the coding issues if you came across anything. Creating website is easy but keeping up with readers, content and traffic is not easy. Especially traffic and community management is hard in my opinion.

First of all, You need to go to https://www.htl.london/news/3-website-design/website-designers-rescue-website-clients/62-website-designers-rescue-website-clients and they will create a FREE site for you. You just pick out one you like and customize it using easy tools.
Then, if you are selling something, i recommend going to https://www.htl.london/news/3-website-design/website-designers-rescue-website-clients/62-website-designers-rescue-website-clients to help you generate sales on the web. Good Luck.

Edited by overburn1976 (see edit history)

If you want a decent site i strongly recommend not using these silly little web builders. Your site just looks like everyone else's. IMHO if you cant create and manage a website without using a one click web-builder then you shouldnt have a website. It just looks bad.... Really bad.

wow. It seems this website thing must have really got you spooked. Well I know we all view tasks differently and right now you dont know jack shite interms of doing the website. Without sounding negative I would like to say Webdesiggn is hard. Thats why companies charges loads just to do simple websites and if you are not patient you will not be able to get into the game.Web Design can be a daunting task especially if you are designing from scratch and have no experience at all. My best advice would be for you to get or goole search free website templates. Actually I think the first thing you need to do is draw up a rough plan of what you want your site to be like and what its gonna be structured like. Its so eay to have the ideas in your head and yet if we asked you what exactly do you want your site to look like youd respond like you know a simple website and yet there is nothing really like a simple website if you are the designer in my eyes.So once you have an idea of what you wanna achieve do a search for a Free website template and choose something that closely remebles what you already have in mind. I say stear away from fancy designs because whilst they look attractive as templates, if you are designing a simple website as you would have rough drafted you will find you run out of material to post around the complex designs. Take time to carefully play around with the template in a wysiwig editor like frontpage which is free from microsoft. For starters do a static site that hasnt any a moajr scripts this is to help you build your confidence without the complication of getting database errors and script errors. Simple websites like just a page with your picture and a little info about you. Its easy to get carried away and stuff and soon you'll find 2hours have gone by and you havent even done a complete page but thats progress cause at least you are learning as opposed to being frustrated.DOnt start planning to desing a search engine or youtube because you are still miles away from this so keep it simple and dont start trying this and that if it wasnt in your original plan. Designing the websites in my experience was initially like browsing the web. If you go on the internet not knowing what you really loking for you will find yourself crawling and toying around wiht so many links you will soon find that you havent achieved much yet you've clocked up a lot of bandwidth. So stay focused on the original plan and dont divert from it otherwise three hours down the line you'll be still trying to design the home page after having had to restart shed loads of times because you realised you'd messed up and in frustration you'll be like arghhhhhhhhhhhh this is bull let me statr a fresh cause this isnt working. So keep it simple and once you are able to do a complete simple site you can then use slightly complex templates and improve on your skills sooner or later you'll be a pro and you'll be thinking wow I cant believe how much improvement I''ve made since the day i was writing that post on Trap 17.Once you sort of start to getr an understanding of what you are doing you'll start to find better web design software and you'll then be ready for things like dreamweaver. What I find helpfull is taking a break after a few hours cause you then get this hindsite or retrospect where your mind thinks hey maybe if i did like this i would do this and that quicker. It sort of helps give perspective cause being stuck on the PC only gives you the blinded thinking were you just trying to get to the goal and limits your innovativeness. Do Not let it get you down. Its like playing a computer game on a games console, at first the controls are hard and everything seems so easy to mess up even at times when you thinking Im driving like a pro now and suddenly you loose control and are all over the shop floor. It just takes practice and not giving up. and in a few months you'll be the one advising a newbie on web design lolI hope this helps you and Good Luck