xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Inspiron

Microsoft Warns Users Of Pirated Windows Os with a Desktop Message

Well well, what do we have here? A very bad attempt to counter act pirating buiseness it seems *shrug*. Why give them a friendly pop up? Better would be to disable their system completely, wouldn't it? But on the other hand, so many people seem to have errors with this little patch, if they would totally block your system it would mean disaster for these legal users getting borked by Microsoft. Seeing the so called anti priracy program already got cracked just makes me laugh about microsoft, they seem to be the most stupid company in the world right now.Is this a serious attempt from Microsoft to counter piracy? Don't make me laugh...

It is about time Microsoft really got tuff on pirates, instead of putting up pathetic nag screens warning people. The way I see it, MS, should have a screen come up, locking users out of the operating system, and hard coding it into the OS.

Did you even read what I said instead of just quoting it: A LOT of poeple owning a legal version have problems with this patch. Would you rather have MS locking up your legaly owned system just because there's a stupid little mistake in a patch they applied? I totally agree with Florisjuh

I'm sure that this will not even cause a hiccup in the cracker/hacker community. Just like when xp came out and you had to register online within a month or it would become inactive, this little security measure will quickly be overcome by crackers and any pirate os will already be cracked to avoid this before it ever gets to the ultimate consumer.To go back to the post about updates, you wouldn't be too bright if you were using pirated software but still let Microsoft, or any other software manufacturer, look inside your computer whenever they wanted to.Scarus

Well well, what do we have here? A very bad attempt to counter act pirating buiseness it seems *shrug*. Why give them a friendly pop up? Better would be to disable their system completely, wouldn't it? But on the other hand, so many people seem to have errors with this little patch, if they would totally block your system it would mean disaster for these legal users getting borked by Microsoft. Seeing the so called anti priracy program already got cracked just makes me laugh about microsoft, they seem to be the most stupid company in the world right now.Is this a serious attempt from Microsoft to counter piracy? Don't make me laugh...

if what all is saying is true and these messages are hitting legal owners of the os software, even if it's through a multi license(usually through a store you bought your computer from) then microsoft will have some serious legal issues in the future.

is there anything on the microsoft website that suggests any of this topic here or screenshots of what to expect? i know someone posted screen shots, but where did they come from?

sorry if i am a little leary, but i've seen too many scams out there to believe everything i hear or see so anything from microsoft directly? post a link that comes directly from microsoft if anyone has any information on that

if what all is saying is true and these messages are hitting legal owners of the os software, even if it's through a multi license(usually through a store you bought your computer from) then microsoft will have some serious legal issues in the future.
is there anything on the microsoft website that suggests any of this topic here or screenshots of what to expect? i know someone posted screen shots, but where did they come from?

sorry if i am a little leary, but i've seen too many scams out there to believe everything i hear or see so anything from microsoft directly? post a link that comes directly from microsoft if anyone has any information on that

Yes you are right, I don't think there is any information from Microsoft itself yet, so I can't confirm what I said is true. I ain't gonna install a pirated version on my computer just to check if it's true tho..

But, the sources given look quite thrustworty I have to say, even trough they aren't official statements from Microsoft.

when did this update get implemented? i've never seen any messages like that and my friends all have pirated versions... my windows came with the pc so i dont have much to worry about but my mates on the other hand... gg haha. i'm sure there willl be some sort of illegal fix for this anyway.

Hahahah. Personally, I find this halarious. The claim that this is a "perminate tattoo" is even more funny. Do you guys remember Half-Life 2's anti-cracking measures? Supposedly the strongest anti-theft security ever released on a product for the general consumsion. And there were pirated copies out for download on the exact day it was released. I'm sure that there are already many patches released to counteract this anoyance.Still, great for a laugh.

If it's causing such a bad problem for legal users, they'd have to release a patch to fix that patch (sorta strange to me). It's mistakes like that which make me happy to not use Windows anymore at home. It's also funny how it messed up like it does. Microsoft can try as hard as possible to prevent pirated copies, but it won't help much. There will still be many more pirated copies out. Piracy is just about the hardest thing to fight, no matter what company it involves.

Lol, has anyone got the popup yet? lol.. I'm also curious about this, lol, if microsoft could send out a new patch that allows it to detect if the windows operating system is geniune or not, why can't they somehow report these findings back to microsoft and get the person procescuted for owning an illegal copy of windows?Well, it's not like i want them to do this because then there are tons of people that runs on priating windows wheather they know it or not. Also, what i found really funny is my computer repair teacher (i had to take this class since there wasn't any room in any other class) has a stack of copied cd of Windows 98. LOL... By they way, how can they tell if the window version is genuine or not? Doesn't it depends on the serial number that you entered when installing window? Well, from what i know, fake generated serial number doesn't work with updates. So if you used a fake number, you are not allow to update your window version. My real question here is, how can they implement the new patch that causes the popup or nagging the users of their guilts? And if the priated windows users used a geniune serial number, then wouldn't patch thing the window version is geniune?Well, i guess it's time for everyone to learn how to use linx and avoid the troubles. =P

when did this update get implemented? i've never seen any messages like that and my friends all have pirated versions... my windows came with the pc so i dont have much to worry about but my mates on the other hand... gg haha. i'm sure there willl be some sort of illegal fix for this anyway.

The anti-piracy move is being kicked off in five countries tomorrow – the United States, Britain, New Zealand, Australia and Malaysia.

The article was published on April 25, 2006, and it stated the above message, that it will affect the few countries. Hence if you are not staying in that 5 regions, you've probably not see those tatoos on your desktop. Wait till Microsoft releases that update to the whole wide world, then you should see it on your desktop. <_<

Another thing they thought of? It seems pretty lame and childish... Considering the number of things the hackers have already cracked, this will probably be easy for them... Microsoft can't stop this height of piracy... Oh, and aren't they earning enough already? Tsk tsk... Shows how money-hungry they are... Well, sure people need to earn money, but this is a pretty funny way of telling people to stop using pirated material... It's just a pop-up, and it's up to the person's discretion to continue using it or not. No matter how hard they keep trying to prevent it, there will still be a few holes that the hackers can get through. Kinda like a sponge...

Edited by icemarle (see edit history)

I agree, I think the crux of the problem is still Microsoft and big software companies overpricing their products. How on earth are people from 3rd world developing nations going to but the original product when it could cost as much as 1 months salary for some of these people. If Microsoft is going to insist on these ridiculous prices they can't expect people not to come up with cheaper means illegal or otherwise.Where I come from , unless you buy a brand named computer, people usually ask a shop to build the computer at a lower price and buy an illegal copy of Windows for the store to install for them,it is considered normal practice as everyone thinks that its basically throwing money down the drain to buy original software, besides we have little shops in every neighbourhood selling all kinds of pirated software for US5 per disk and we hardly ever hear of anyone being sent to jail for using pirated software. there is absolutely no incentive to switch to original unless of course you are a big business.However, if I can purchase the original Windows XP for say US$25, I would consider it as sometimes there are bugs in the pirated copies and updating could be a hassle.

This is such garbage, it's not even funny. What else can a person do when one is not rich and each operating system can only be legally installed on a total of 2 computers, and a new copy costs around $150 or so? If one switches to Linux or Mac, one cannot run the programs one have always run, but if one sticks with Windows, one is thwarted at every turn by legal and economical issues that limit what they can do. Where can one turn?

I'm not rich, either and we don't waste money on computers. We have had the same Gateway Windows 98SE for 10 years ( :lol: ) and I'm about to re-image it so its gets back to its old speed. My dad bought us a Dell E510 XP Media Center, the past christmas! Now I have wanted a computer since I could remember, that could play games and just work normally, and let me tell you. It was worth the waiting and stuff. But this summer I'm buying a Dell Laptop, but its not fair, to have a some jack*** pirate software, and have me have to purchase it. It does not make and sense at all.

For those people who have windows update set on manual you have the option to download the patch or ignore it. Uncheck the box, select that you never want to see the update again and presto. Don't you just love bureaucracy?
(I'm not condoning pirating Windows, but if for some reason you don't want your copy bloated with a useless extra patch... *whistles innocently*)

Thats still hacking. And thats not the right thing to do earlier. You wanna know why prices are so high and stuff, and companies are going out of business in the software industry? Its because people crack the software, and pirate it and mass send it out. So the company is paying more to stop that then to build there program. So what can I get honestly today? :rolleyes:

Piracy is here to stay, Microsoft still doesn't seem to get it :P. If the price of Windows was lowered some what it would help with their ever expanding problem.