xisto Community
devildude93

Daddy Long Legs Did You Know its most poisonous

I was taught not to be afraid of them or kill them because they were supposed to be "good" spiders because they are not aggresive to humans or poisonus, and besides they trap mosquitos and bugs. Know I dont know what to believe but anyway I have never touched them and never will. Definetely not gonna eat one ever.

well daddy long legs are type of aracnid species, but yeah they are very poisionous but due to them being so small it wouldn't do anything to you. but yeah i think i did see that same episode of mythbusters about them.

They don't have enough poison to kill you, and their fangs aren't long enough to do so... Mythbusters has tested, and busted this myth! Adam Savage, one of the hosts, volunteered to get bitten, (it took a long time before a spider decided to bite him) and it was nothing! You should watch Mythbusters often, you know... It's on at Discovery Channel, (see your timeslot! ^_^) For more info about that particular episode... See here... And I quote from the site...

DADDY LONGLEGS--THE DEADLIEST SPIDER ALIVE?
Myth: Jamie explains that Daddy Longleg spiders are supposed to be the most venomous of all spiders, but their fangs are not long enough to pierce through human skin.

Experts: Chuck Kristensen, arachnid expert. Chuck tells Adam and Jamie alot about spiders. Chuck recalled an experiment in which Daddy Longleg and Black Widow venom was injected in mice. (Results later...) Chuck also milked a spider. The spider is anesthetized with CO2 (carbon dioxide). An electrical shock is then applied to the fang to extract the venom.

Quotes: Jamie: "I like spiders!" Adam is speechless as he is an arachnophobe...

Action/Results: First, the guys go to Jamie's garage to "harvest" spiders. Jamie is quite the spider hunter, but Adam is having some difficulties... Next, they visit spider expert Chuck for assistance with the rest of the experiment. During the milking, Chuck measures the Daddy Longleg fangs: about .25 mm. Skin thickness is about .10 mm. Also during the milking, Chuck reveals the Daddy Longleg/Black Widow results: Black Widow venom is much more toxic. To finish the experiment, Adam puts his right arm in a spider-filled tube in order to receive a Daddy Longleg bite. After a long time, one Daddy Longleg does manage to bite Adam, and rather painlessly. Additionally, Adam lives! Result: Myth totally busted.

All spiders are poisonous in some form or another. Most are harmless to humans. Take into consideration though that even the most harmless spiders and poisons can be hazardous to some people. It depends on the person and their make up. It is very possible that a person could be allergic to a poison that is harmless to most people. Plus if you are exposed enough to something that you are mildly allergic to the allergy can become worse. Daddy Long Legs are also known as Harvestmen so if you are looking them up you can look them up under that name too. Insects are an interesting group of Arthropods. Its probably the largest and most diverse group of animals in existance.

waoah, was really surprised when I read this thread. There are quite a few of these spiders around this location, obviously not in my house but around the park, football stadium etc there are plenty of cobwebs attracting daddy longlegs.I'm another person who'd never want to eat one of these spiders, but thanks for sharing nevertheless. It's always interesting to know something that some others don't.I just kill spiders or destroy the cob webs if they annoy me anyway just like my friends and family ^_^

i saw that episode of mythbusters too and they proved that tehre was no possible way that the daddy long legs could have poisined the perosn and the fangs are more than long enough to pierce the skin

Hey, is a daddy longlegs the same as... what is it called... a crane fly? I was told they are, but not so sure. Can someone look it up for me, or post a reply, cause i have to go now ^_^

here's what I got from google, (I have to reserach for this is actually the first I heard of this kind of spider lol)

Have you heard this one?:DADDY-LONGLEGS ARE ONE OF THE MOST POISONOUS SPIDERS BUT THEIR FANGS ARE TOO SHORT TO BITE HUMANS

This tale has been lurking around for years. I have heard it repeatedly in the United States and even heard a schoolteacher misinforming her class at a museum in Brisbane, Australia. This is incorrect, but to clarify it, several points need to be explained first.
The animals

heres the link

Poisonous or nay, Daddy Long Legs are just plain freaky. They only live for a day, though, so I let them be. And then later that day, watch them whizz furiously around the lightshade just before they croak. Heh

Cool thread, I learned a lot.Where I grew up in western Canada, the Daddy Long Legs is a spider that doesn't spin a web, at least not that I'd ever seen. They just run along the ground..or up the wall, as the case may be. Imagine my suprise after moving to Illinois to find the Daddy Long Legs' here using webs all the time. I once watched one actually capture another and wrap it's legs up in a web strand.

Wow! lol I thought daddy long legs were harmless little insects and cool because of their size when I was little. They hardly move. Who would have thought that daddy long legs are very poisonous. lol That's something I will have to share with my friends.

I saw daddy longlegs in camp all the time. Their long skinny legs make it easy to pick them up and case someone around with it. I get creeped out by many crawling things.

Wow! lol  I thought daddy long legs were harmless little insects and cool because of their size when I was little.  They hardly move.  Who would have thought that daddy long legs are very poisonous.  lol That's something I will have to share with my friends.

201839[/snapback]

Please read the thread more closely, we already disproved that Daddy Long Legs spiders are poisonous to humans. People have got bitten and have always lived to tell the tale. NEVER believe something right away unless you get sufficient proof. ALWAYS do research especially on stuff like that which are called urban legends. This link will help you. Snopes

Notice from jlhaslip:
Editted as per report

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)