xisto Community
devildude93

Daddy Long Legs Did You Know its most poisonous

I didn't say in all cases; I said probably in most. I've never attempted to pull a leg off of a normal spider, but, as I mentioned, most spiders use blood pumped into their legs to cause them to straighten, and then pull the blood back out to get them to retract, so one would then assume that, if they lost a leg, they would bleed to death (although I don't know for certain).I realise that spiders often lose legs when they grow larger, but if the leg is torn off by a predator before the spider is ready to lose it, it may have a different result than if it just drops off when the spider is ready.

Nah, longleg spiders grow new legs frequently. Deploying legs is defence, giving you time for a gettaway. Just like a lizard deploys his tail. Oh, if you watched mythbusters, they tested the myth and it was busted.

So you made a post telling us not to eat daddy long legs? I have heard of this somewhere before but never thought it was true. The thing i also heard is that your little hampsters and whatever can be affected by these guys. Its hard to believe that a spider that no one fears could very easily kill someone with a little more strength. Maybe later on in time it will learn to adapt and the world will be taken over by them!! No but seriously if they dont hurt me then i dont really care how poisonus it could of been.

I heard that in a life time a person eats atleast 12 spiders in their sleep. So I guess if I'm lucky I won't eat a daddy long legs. I don't know if that's been said already I only read the first page.Anyways as to the venom, I would have never known. I don't think I would have ever known any of this unless I read this thread. I am severly afraid of spiders so this just makes me even more because I can always find a Daddy Long Legs in my basement. (Unfortionitely my room is in the basement)

Actually, it's fangs are long enough to bite us [i watch Mythbusters. ^^;;], and it's venom is not as poisonous as the black widow.

They proved it by using this method to measure the venom of both the spiders (I forget what it's called) and the black widow's venom was way more poisonous than the daddy long legs.

And to test the fang length, they had one of the guys have some of them on his arm until it bit him. It did. o_o

197967[/snapback]

I watched that episode but missed half of it , I didn't get to see any bite but they actually bite? lol that's something new , ill fear the "daddy long leg" now :)

thats a type of dragon fly a daddy long legs body is small, super misquitoes no such thing that i have known about and plus when have you notice a spider have wings like that?Thus is the wisdom of Saint-Michael thus is true. :)

I watched that episode but missed half of it , I didn't get to see any bite but they actually bite? lol that's something new , ill fear the "daddy long leg" now :)

As I said, if the bites became red and swollen, the "daddy long-legs" in question must have been a house/cellar spider.

And Saint, as I have said, those "super misquitoes" are actually crane flies, which don't have any mouth parts and only live in their adult life cycle for a few days.

I heard that in a life time a person eats atleast 12 spiders in their sleep.

I doubt this relates to me, since I almost always sleep with my mouth closed (although I HAVE noticed a strange lack of spiders in my room, lately).

So you made a post telling us not to eat daddy long legs?

As my reference links show, no "daddy long-leg" has strong enough venom to kill a human, so it's perfectly harmless to eat one. Aside from that, I'm not sure exactly how ingesting a spider's venom affects it's victims, since most people don't eat spider and are instead bitten (causing the venom to flow directly into their blood stream). I do know that some tribes consider tarantulas a delicacy, and they eat every part (aside from the fangs, which they use as tooth picks), so I assume they end up eating some venom along with the spider.

yeah thats a funny thing alot of spiders are edible (non poison ones and maybe some poisonous), talk about living in the wild, some people consider it a apitizer, but I wouldn't eat a hiary nast thing like a spider ugg

Posted Image

how about having that crawl all over you and start nibbling at you as well. :)

First of all, the tanrantulas are, of course, dead when they are eaten. Secondly, the hairs on their body are singed off in the fire before they actually eat the spider.From the documentary I've watched, apparently the tribe's favorite is a pregnant female tarantula, since they can squeeze all the eggs out of the body and make a sort of bitter omlet.

Spider egg omlet? Mmmmm... :) I can really freak out when somebody is eating something pretty much... well... disgusting!For example: Baked rats, dogs, bats, insects or snakes.I saw on a documentary movie once that some tribes have weird traditions, one of them is the annual eating of the dog... They believe that they will gain the dog's "powers" by eating it!What I don't get is the fact that they keep the dog for a few years in their village and take care of him, even better than themselves!But, when the time comes, they will strap him to a tree, and bat him to death. Then, without removing his entrails nor his hair, they simply grab him by the legs and wave him above a camp fire. When the dog is "cooked" (barely), the eldest member of the tribe gets the back side (the butt) of the dog (that's an honor!). Others get different parts of meat from the dog.Gone off topic back there, but still, it proves that some people have a different view at the world, so, while eating spiders may be a standard thing to some, they may see us as disgusting savages who like to eat allot of beef...

What I don't get is the fact that they keep the dog for a few years in their village and take care of him, even better than themselves!

But, when the time comes, they will strap him to a tree, and bat him to death. Then, without removing his entrails nor his hair, they simply grab him by the legs and wave him above a camp fire. When the dog is "cooked" (barely), the eldest member of the tribe gets the back side (the butt) of the dog (that's an honor!). Others get different parts of meat from the dog.

The Old Yeller Chinese Restaurant - "Best Doggone Dog in the West!"

Gone off topic back there, but still, it proves that some people have a different view at the world, so, while eating spiders may be a standard thing to some, they may see us as disgusting savages who like to eat allot of beef...

I'm not sure if anyone is actually disgusted by people eating domesticated (food) animals (aside from the Hinduists). I'm pretty sure that anyone who is willing to eat wriggling bugs won't mind a slab of beef, unless they're partial to the idea of cooking their food.

yeah i had the pleasure of cooked cat and dog being describe to me and that was nasty as well, i just can't see myself eating them, but it makes me wonder if the pork fried rice I get at chinese resturaunts is pig and not a dog they found on the road last night. eeech.but a pregnant spider oh my god **** runs to a toilet bleeeech***.

It is very often easy to find tribal and other cutures practices cruel, disgusting or even weird because of our own modern tastes and lives. But you have to realize that often times when people see what we are like they think we are weird and disgusting. Often times our ancestors did far worse things than current tribal people's do. Its all a matter of what we grow up with and what we were taught to believe. Our society was built on our own types of traditions. Just as their society is built on thier types of traditions. If you had grown up in their society you would not think it so unusual or gross because you would know no differant.

This is a very interesting topic i never knew that daddy long legs were poisonus.i have played with those for years never had one bite me that i know of.but if you look at one through a magnifying glass they are horrifying.

i just watched this episode a few days ago it was awesome and the tools that they use were even cooler. :lol: