xisto Community
devildude93

Daddy Long Legs Did You Know its most poisonous

I once used to like to pull the legs off of daddy long-legs, but at one point, the little thing managed to turn around and bite me. I was pretty scared, to say the least, since I, too, had heard the myths about them being poisonous and that they supposedly couldn't bite humans. Well, nothing ever came of it, although I don't pull their legs off anyone (ain't I nice?).

Spiders never really scare me, unless they are absolutley huge.

202154[/snapback]

same here, spiders are not that a big deal for me when we talk about on what to fear of, put a spider and a snake in there and I would be too much scared of a snake, maybe I think this is because I lack more on knowledge on what kind of spider is really poisonous.

In our country part of our childhood was to catch a spiders and let them fight, just like a boxing match, lol those were the days.

I'm not afraid of most spiders per se, but I don't want them touching me, and if I, for example, get them on a stick and they suddenly start charging my hand, I'm pretty quick to drop the stick.As for most house spiders, I just don't like to have them around (at least not in my room); ditto those big, fat barn spiders.

even more amazing thing abotu dady long legs this is to the topic orginator btw.

they live for 1 day becuase they have no mouth and they cant eat thus they starve to death. thus i come to conclusion that there small flying twigs with legs :P.

To the first reply..

a dady long leg is an incect that is what is meant by dady long legs and they look like this

Posted Image

thats not a fly. Man i searched dadylonglegs in google images alot of spiders came up becuase of the long legs but that wasunder the name dady long legs. and that is exactly what a daddy longleg is.

Well, the I believe this topic was originally made concerning the SPIDER with the name daddy longlegs. As for the thing posted above, I have seen those before, and I was always under the impression that they were some kind of misquito (after slapping at a few normal-sized misquitoes, I saw that big bugger and couldn't help but run from what I assumed was super-misquito). It may be a male of some kind of misquito species (male misquitoes don't suck blood, only the females do [i guess humans and misquitoes have more in common than meets the eye]), or, considering it's short lifespan, perhaps is related to the mayfly (they have no mouthparts as an adult).

I know they're not "super misquitoes"; I was in third grade at the time it happened.

Daddy long legs, of course, isn't a true name, and is just a nick-name. There are actually 3 "daddy long legs"; the Cellar, Vibrating, or House Spider (Pholcidae), the Harvestman (Opiliones), and the Crane Fly (Tipulidae). I'm assuming this topic was originally made with the Harvestman Spider in mind, and the image shown above, of course, is a Crane Fly.

The Crane fly, as is mentioned above, lives only a few days, since it can't eat once it is an adult.

The Cellar/House/Vibrating spider lives in dark areas, makes webs, and can bite, but apparently don't possess a poison toxic enough to harm humans.

The Harvestman is not really a spider, since it's two body sections are almost combined, it has only two eyes (as can be seen here), it has no silk glands, and it secretes a strange-smelling fluid from scent glands when they are disturbed. Also, it's legs contain muscles that allow it to move (and will twitch from anywhere between a minute and an hour when pulled off, supposedly to keep the enemy entertained as the spider itself escapes; the removal of limbs is not fatal). Spiders, on the other hand, (for the most part) all have silk glands, some kind of venom, eight eyes, no scent glands, and move by pumping blood into their legs, causing the legs to stretch out (meaning if you pull the leg off a spider, chances are it won't survive). Few harvestman have venom, and those that do don't possess venom strong enough to harm a human. In other words, they're completely harmless.

Now, hopefully that will clear up the little misunderstandings we've been having when referring to the "daddy long legs."

Notice from saint-michael:
edited as requested.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

C'mon, spiders are not that bad! (Unless they crawl up into your bed in the middle of the night) :P

My friend owns a tarantula (Brachypelma Vagans, "The Grinch", to be exact - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/), and we both know that it's not that poisonous, but it's sting is allot more painful than a bee sting, and causes more swelling, so you can never be to careful!

Here's a picture of the cute little thing:

Posted Image

Tarantula bites:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

...and some evidence that some spider bites are pretty much dangerous:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I cant even look at the picture with out shuddering and thinking OMFG that spriders too *darn* big for my liking.God dude who eva owns a trantcula is sick. Dont they ever worry it woudl escape.What would they do if it did escape screwed then huh.Dont tell me there not scary there walking insects of death.

Actually, there's supposedly no reported humans deaths from a tarantula bite, so he wouldn't have to fear for his life, although, as was mentioned, the sting and hairs can be quite a pain.I don't mind tarantulas so much (mostly because they are so passive), but more "wild" spiders (small as they may be) can still give me the shivers.

The Harvestman is not really a spider, since it's two body sections are almost combined, it has only two eyes (as can be seen here), it has no silk glands, and it secretes a strange-smelling fluid from scent glands when they are disturbed. Also, it's legs contain muscles that allow it to move (and will twitch from anywhere between a minute and an hour when pulled off, supposedly to keep the enemy entertained as the spider itself escapes; the removal of limbs is not fatal). Spiders, on the other hand, (for the most part) all have silk glands, some kind of venom, eight eyes, no scent glands, and move by pumping blood into their legs, causing the legs to stretch out (meaning if you pull the leg off a spider, chances are it won't survive). Few harvestman have venom, and those that do don't possess venom strong enough to harm a human. In other words, they're completely harmless.

202726[/snapback]

Actually what you said about spiders not surviving if they loose a leg. One leg loss really won't be much of a problem. Since arthropods which spiders are, have a exoskelaton which means that their outsides are a hard shell to protect the soft insides. When they grow they have to molt or shed their outer exoskelaton and then make a new one. Basically they form the new exosketaton and while its still soft they expand themselves creating a crack in the current hard exoskelaton. This is of course after they have formed the new soft on and detached themselves from it. Then once they crack the exoskelaton open they pull themselves out of it. If they lost a leg after their last molt they will have a new leg when they come out of this molt. Once the insect or in this case the spider is out of the old exoskelaton they then hang there and let the new exoskelaton dry and harden.

Thus a spider can get its leg back.