xisto Community
RGPHNX

Can The Internet Make You Stupid ? truth information vs. lies dis-information

Can the INTERNET make you stupid ?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The internet won't make you stupid. It can help you become smarter by researching things. It can do bad things, like get you addicted to the internet, but it won't make you stupid.

I still believe that the computer can make you stupid. Because of what I said is happening to me I blame the computer. And I am sorta addicted to the computer. I really like the computer and spend as much time as I can on it. I like to play games build websites and run clans. It is a lot of fun but I know it is bad to sit in front of the computer all day clicking a button and pushing other buttons. But I am doing it cause I have always wanted to have my own website, my own clan, and be really good at games. I also want to start my own business as a webhoster and selling scripts. The host would be paid. I just love to do this stuff. I always wanna be able to do things others do. It is fun.

The Internet itself doesn't make people 'stupid'. If anything the information on the Internet makes people wiser day by day. Yes, some people do believe everything they read, but many of these people do not become 'stupid' from reading these pieces of information on the Internet. Any misinformation people collect from the Internet is often corrected by someone else or further reading into the topic.

The internet? That storehouse of information? Make you... stupid?Well, honestly it all depends on how you use it. But even if you end up using it for good, even if you don't admit it... You slowly become lazier, denser and eventually become more stupid if you always rely on the internet. I can atest to that. I used to read a lot and go to the library, but after I discovered this gold mine, I've been extremely lazy in trying to look for information manually and rely on wikipedia or google to get what I need to research on. That certainly made me lazier... I also realized that I sometimes failed to see the obvious. My social life? What's that?Don't get me wrong, though... I don't flunk in school or anything. I'm one of the top students in class, but I must admit... The internet could plausibly be doing more harm than good. Even if you use it for good, if you always end up using it too much, you will eventually and slowly succumb to a negative change of character. As the others have said, you should take breaks every now and then. Also, if there is something you should look up on, and you know that it's not hard to find in the library, then you should by all means... It certainly wouldn't hurt to do it, would it?

If all you do online is play games or entertain yourself with images or multimedia that is fit to only entertain yourself then you may be affected, but it does take a lot of internet crap to make you "stupid". You would have to avoid a lot of intellecutal information.. even the news, which can be quite a task.I can't imagine anyone being addicted to the internet and be "stupid". They would have to browse around eventually and something would pick their interest. Even games get boring after a while and they would need to find something else to focus on.

i dont see how the internet can make you stupid. There is tons of information on it and tons of new things you could leanrn. So i would say the internet can make you smarter if you lookat it that way.

haha it actually depends1. IF you are on internet the whole day, playing online games etc, yes it can make you stupid.2. If you use internet to communicate: neutral3. If you use internet to read the news and find out some information, makes you more clever.4. If you use internet to chat, may broaden your horizon.5. Beware, many people lie on the internet etc. Lots of news on pedophile using the net to lure the children to come out and see them. Or some people get tricked by people in chatroom etc.So I guess, it all depends how you use it.Of course it's good. But it can soo easily be exploited

Yes. The answer maybe is Yes. On the nternet there are so many stupid thing, and unfortunetly there are a lot of poeple, who think, everybody on the net is true. For exaple once, I searched for an essay, maybe on history or biology, alredy I dont know sure, and I found an excelent one. I was very happy, I downloaded it, and I led it at scool. Unfortunetly the half of the essay was a hat of ... and I get a bad mark. At home I fint that topic on the encyclopedy, and I found out why I get that bad mark. Since tham I`m very stealthy in this thing :(

Of course it can. People who don't do anything on the internet besides surf and im other people probably does get verrrrry stupid. They got no life and probably can't function out of the net. But others might be on the internet to learn which makes them smarter. It depends on what you do with the internet. It can go either way

It doesn't make you stupid. If you are using it for long periods of time at the expense of others or your health than I you are just stupid to start with.Anyone and everyone can post stuff on the net so you have to take everything that's on there with pinch of salt. If I'm looking for information I will visit reputable sites and then about 5-10 others to make sure that the information is consistent.I'm smarter thanks to the net. I would never know a lot of the things I do now if it weren't for the net. Like t.v. - The tv can make you more stupid if you are stupid to start with. I watch things on tv that exercise my brain and teach me things. Discovery Channel is on alot in our house. Just as the World BBC website in on alot on our computer.It also comes down to supply and demand. Theres a lot of crap on the net because crap is popular. Don't want crap then boycott it. Look how popup blockers have changed the net. Suddenly popup advertising isn't working so good so ad companies have had to find better methods. Don't like ads - block them. Don't like spam - block it. People will get the message eventually and hopefully the net will be a better place because of it.

It really depends on how the internet is used, for example, if you just use it to play games the whole day and so on, of course it may happen. If the primary use of the internet is for communicating, emails, messenger, etc.. probably neutral but again it depends on what the topic between the communicating parties is about.Furthermore, if the main purpose of using the internet is to read news and find out about other information, you'd definitely be learning something and perhaps even make ya a bit more smarter.But again with positives, comes negatives, as others said, people can also lie on the internet and exploit it (ie tricked in a chatroom, paedophilia (sp), etc).Personally I think it's good and has a mountainful of useful information for most purposes such as study, work, and so on, but again as others said, it can easily be exploited

Yes the internet can make some people somewhat "stupid". There is alot of false information out there but it is up to the user to interpret what is real and what is not. If someone sees questionable information they should look at other references to confirm its validity. However, many people don't question the information they find. It is easy to spot these people. They are the ones who believe in the chain emails that contain myths which aren't true.

hmm i think its maybe...you can find ALOT of information on just about anything on the internet...yet we all know for a fact that not everything thats on the internet is true so thats where you may go stupid...i cant tell whether most the stuff on the internet is mostly stupid or not...but i use the internet as a source for information ALL THE TIME and nothing usually ever goes wrong...always seem to find what i want to know..

Hmmm there's two sides to the medaille.A computer (the internet) can be used as information-storage and train your brains to process lots of 'data',but it's also proven that when one sits too much spending time at a pc or internet, their brainsfrequencies can change wich can lead to less intelligence, numbness and bad social abilities.

I don't think the internet makes you stupid. Just think of it as a learning environment.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------$$$Clan of Honor$$$ Check out my forum page