xisto Community
RGPHNX

Can The Internet Make You Stupid ? truth information vs. lies dis-information

Can the INTERNET make you stupid ?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

no way the internet teaches you! besides look at me im perfectly normal and and and and smart and not .. mentally ill! :(heh i know looking at a monitor for a few days straight can make you blind so i guess...it can hurt you

hmm .. in my humble opinion .. i do not think that internet make me stupud .. atleast im not .. it depends on how you use the internet .. web-learning and forum visiting can boost your knowledge alot .. if you find the right way of doing it ..Some people just hook up on internet MMORPG and all of thier lives are taken over by the game .. they imagine that they are living in the virtual world of fantasy .. that's why i've pulled my self out of the MMORPG thingy .. once u got addicted .. you lost you social life ..I must admit that some of the internet content may be untrustful and misleading, thus it depends on the readers to think themselved whether to trust or not..

Hi all,
Nice thoughtful post awards go to moldboy, ill, and ashiezai .
Funniest post so far to Damann with his

besides look at me im perfectly normal and and and and smart and not .. mentally ill!

That's the whole idea of this poll..
to stimulate ppl to thimk .. er.. THINK.
Any more thoughts anybody ????????????
RGPHNX

OH you know i hav been stupid so much... my girlfriend left me .dad & mother lost me what i can do then i just been a loafer on street or internet if i got some money online.

There is of course no straight answer for this poll.

The closest I can come to is this:

Intenet makes stupid people more stupid and intelligent people more intelligent.

This is because stupid people do NOT know how to use the internet, so get misled and led astray by people waiting to victimize others.

While, if you are intelligent, you know where to draw the line and keep safe. You will use the goods and keep away from the bads of the internet.

THis is my opinion. When I say stupid ot intelligent, I actually mean internet-stupid and internet-intelligent.

I think, if you're already stupid, the Internet can certainly make you stupider, because you have no discretion. But I don't think it could do much to a genius' intellect. You just need to be able to decide what to believe and what not to believe. That's like saying can having a conversation with someone make you stupid, because they could tell you all the lies in the world. Or could watching TV make you stupid, because TV is one big lie of actors pretending to do stuff. Minus the news broadcasts and learning channels. But how much truth do they really tell, anyways? It's a matter of discretion, no matter where you are or what you're doing. If you're smart to begin with, you can gather some excellent knowledge from the Net and get smarter. And if you're not too dumb, then maybe you can get smarter. No one can really say. But of course, to spend all day, everyday, on the Net IS stupid. If you don't get out and get some fresh air, excersise, and schooling, then you're hopeless, and the Internet is of absolutely no help to you. You'll go crazy and get fat. Especially if you eat at your computer while surfing the Net all day. Tsk tsk. Fat lunatics are the last thing today's world needs.

Well I believe the internet, like most media, can make you stupid. It depends on how you use it, so it can make people somewhat wiser as well.

There are many lies spread trough media as well as truths, but I believe most are lies.

I just don't trust most peple on the i-net though (sorry), but I can only trust one when I look in that persons eyes.

My 2 cents...

there was some article talking about a guy who died of like starvation like posting on hundreds of forums and not moving from his desk. apparenlty he was crazy. i woudln't die for not posting like every minute. for the authenticity of that article i take it as something that may have happened but not seriously. I only trust sites that are for reference like encyclopedias or stuff like that. People i can trust is who are credible with companies well known. Of course i woudln't trust a single person online truly. maybe with your deep inner secrets but not account information and all that.I do'nt think the internet makes you stupid. Maybe lazy to catch up on your school but not stupid. Through th einternet i have learned new words, get news quicker and not have to wait to watch news at whatever time or buy a newspaper. Any information at my fingertips. I think sometimes you learn more when your using a computer. but teaching should be left to your teachers. anyways i love the internet.

Yes because I have all of a sudden gotten addicted to the computer and I am going crazy and thinking about the point of life and questioning whether God exists or not. I am trying not to get addicted but I gotta post and all. I am trying to not spend as much time on so I get better.

If you take what someone says on the net at "face value" ... and believe it. ..then the "wrong" idea gets inside your head .. and can make you "stupid".

That doesn't make you stupid, that makes you misinformed; they're two completely different things. Tony Blair & George Bush were told something that was wrong about the evidence of WMD in Iraq....are you gonna say that they're stupid? (Well in the case of George Bush, you'd probably be right :lol: )

Yeah, I defenitely think it depends on what you use it for, and specially if you exceed or abuse it. Everything in excess is bad. Internet can really cultivate you specially if you are a person who is involved in information technology where you have to learn about new stuff coming out everyday. Also gaming is really really fun over the internet but it can get too adictive and you might waste the whole day without even noticing it. Also being too much on the net can affect your social life, even though you may have thousands of cyber friends you wont be able to visit them if you are on the net all day.

Any information at my fingertips. I think sometimes you learn more when your using a computer. but teaching should be left to your teachers. anyways i love the internet.

143212[/snapback]

as a global communications resource, I think the internert has not yet lived up to its potential. More information to more people is definantly a good thing.

The important thing as everybody seems to agree is discerning what is good/credible information and what is not. But that's an issue in any case. Its just so much more visible on the internet with so many thousands (millions? *shrug*) getting their facts and information from personal blogs each having a biased opinion.

on the other hand internet is free from corporate control. if the regular news media is "bought" out by whatever corporation supports them, that is not the problem with some independent sources that can publish and get readers incredibly cheaply with the internet! a very good thing.

but like I was saying, whether or not a source is reliable or not is an issue whatever form it takes. Your teachers, for example, may also be unreliable sources of information.

Internet can make you stupid if you believe in false informations/stories. You must be curious in everything that you see. If you heard a news/stroy that you think it's impossible to come true, research about it. Then, you'll know the truth about that story/news/article.After using the internet or your computer for more than 10 hours... Try to go out... See the world, the sunset, etc... Or just go out in windy places and relax... Take a nap if you want.. It refreshes/reloads your brain... So that your Pentium 4-based brain and your 1000 TB hard drive(your brain) will reboot. :rolleyes::lol: