xisto Community
AbstracT

I Hate Microsoft Word

Its not that I hate Microsoft Word. It does need some changes though for it to work efficiently.

1. Microsoft Word takes forever for it to load and startup, expecially when you have Norton, and it likes to scan when opening Word.

2. The addon extensions like Adobe Acrobat pro, which adds to your taskbar at the top, really slows it down especially.

If Microsoft redesigns Word, I would hope it would be more optimized, because the load time is just really brutal.

136979[/snapback]

call me biased, but i prefer to think that the cause of the slow loading is Norton and not MS word. i have Office 2003 on my comp, Acrobat Pro7 as well, with Tiny Firewall Pro on heaviest security, and NOD32 antivirus also on deep security, and Word takes about 5 seconds to load. Maybe you just need a new updated computer to run it properly.

It's not the only one out there. We don't like it for legitimate reasons. It's very slow at times, it crashes on us, it's easy to accidentally close on our hard-worked projects... OK that was our fault... (no sarcasm intended)It's the most popular one as well, but we're not blaming it on that. Don't tell me to quit using it then, because I did. It just isn't the thing to use on a high temper...

I just hate Microsoft products with the exception of their gaming department (incl. xbox)Most Microsoft products are released w/ stolen ideas. Look @ Windows, if it wasn't for XEROX and Apple, they would've never got a GUI.Anyways, I just plainly hate MS-WORD since it crashes, slows don't, a clip that never shuts up and all the annoyance, even after configuration. Also, for some reason, after the auto numbering goes to 9, every spacing messes up. Still figuring why, but it's annoying. I stopped using MS-Office since last year when I moved 90% of what I do on Linux.xboxrulz

I also hate the Microsoft software, every time I use it there's a problem! The same sorta thing happened to me when I was writing an English essay, the whole computer froze because I pressed the spell check button at the end of writing it all up. Unlike your scenario, I save manually and frequently. Luckily, I saved all my work before spell checking, just had to restart my comp again.

Microsoft office is not that much bad. Sometimes I also face the same problem. But I save the file after typing 4 to 5 lines. I think Microsoft office is the best option for Windows users.

Microsoft office is not that much bad. Sometimes I also face the same problem. But I save the file after typing 4 to 5 lines. I think Microsoft office is the best option for Windows users.

I would have to disagree with that, i find the free OpenOffice Package to be WAY superior to that of MS Office Suite. It has a WAY lot of language packages and it is fully compatible with Microsoft Office. It's actually much simpler and it could be used by all ages from kids to old people because its so simple. I even taught this 3 year old cousin of mine to mess around with the features in OpenOffice. Plus, its constantly updated with new fixes and new features by developers around the world. Edited by deadmad7 (see edit history)

Ah, yet another old discussion brought back to life.... In the five years since this thread was started, MS-Word and the entire Office package has undergone a major renovation and although I hate to admit it, the package certainly has improved from the previous versions. It still can't beat the number of features and stability offered by OpenOffice, but comparing it with older versions, the present versions are a little better. I wouldn't recommend MS-Office over OpenOffice, but for someone insistent on using MS, it's better to pick the later versions.

Ah, yet another old discussion brought back to life.... In the five years since this thread was started, MS-Word and the entire Office package has undergone a major renovation and although I hate to admit it, the package certainly has improved from the previous versions. It still can't beat the number of features and stability offered by OpenOffice, but comparing it with older versions, the present versions are a little better. I wouldn't recommend MS-Office over OpenOffice, but for someone insistent on using MS, it's better to pick the later versions.

Agreed. MS Office for Mac 2011 (beta) is so much better than the 2008 version. Better, as in, faster.

But for uses like typing proposals, making posters (when I was lazy to fire up photoshop), or writing a letter, I would rather use Pages from the iWork suite in Mac. Much more organized and better looking than the templates offered by MS Word, and it's smarter in the way that it helps to arrange your text according to how you arranged it before.

But for just typing and random document-making, I would rather use Google Docs. Sure, the features are mediocre, but its security and sharing functions are extremely great. It auto-saves every time you finish as sentence, while you type. It was even used in a group discussion board - we would type out notes together, and put questions on the document while we get answers in real-time. Then we could send it through email , without worrying about being unable to attach the document or convert it.

So all in all:
MS Word: Heavy users of Word processors
Google Docs - People who just need the basics, as well as a good way to connect with people
Pages (Mac OS X only) - People who need good-looking documents and a processor that works like MS Word.
OpenOffice: Free - people who just need to type.

That's just my view.

So all in all:MS Word: Heavy users of Word processors
Google Docs - People who just need the basics, as well as a good way to connect with people
Pages (Mac OS X only) - People who need good-looking documents and a processor that works like MS Word.
OpenOffice: Free - people who just need to type.

That's just my view.

Nicely put.

I'm not sure others will agree with open office remark because for them it is doing the job of replacement of word. Google docs and microsoft office online are working to some extent but those who are using offline word processor will have some issue with it. In that case, open office, word and pages is good choice. There is also libre office which is likely to replace open office soon because of contributors shifting issue but in any case open office is fine for few years.

I think it was Office 2003 that was horrible version, can't remember though, although 2007 was a great improvement because of Vista. I have to say 2010 has been the best version Microsoft has ever put out or rather the first time they actually got the suite right for once. Of course, its online features are definitely great especially since they added a Facebook application to 2010 and so it makes it a lot easier then using skydrive for uploading documents and what not.Of course, I would hope that Google Docs would spend some time with it and add some more features to their suite and give it a face lift as well.

actually i should say that the freezing problem completely exist in 2007 and 2010 versions, so if the 2010 is the best of Word series it is not the best of editors which you can use. the auto saving feature is completely unreliable, it sometimes doesn't save for 10 minutes when you have set it to save every 1 minute. go for openoffice and feel the differences, more reliable and less freezing. open office is simple which is one of it's advantages, it doesn't have tabbed gui but you can access everything you need very easily, and it's free so you will not loose any money for trying it. anyway i think the nest battle would be against Google Docs and Open Office and microsoft office will be left alone.

CTRL-S should be your friend... best friend...I hit it instinctively after half a page or so of writing...

Oh ABSOLUTLY!!!! I hit save every few sentences. Sometimes when I've made a fairly long post here I will highlight/copy and save it because there have been quite a few times when posts just sit and don't go threw and I hate loosing anything I've taken the time to type up. So it's not just word that screws up.

Oh ABSOLUTLY!!!! I hit save every few sentences. Sometimes when I've made a fairly long post here I will highlight/copy and save it because there have been quite a few times when posts just sit and don't go threw and I hate loosing anything I've taken the time to type up. So it's not just word that screws up.

i know it's very easy to hit ctrl+s but word has an option for autosaving which means you shouldn't be worried about not hitting the ctrl+s (if you set it to save every minute or less) but this option wasn't reliable on 2007 and isn't reliable in 2010 too. i don't know how hard it should be to make this option work correctly but if it is needed to save your work manually why they have put such an option. and about typing in a forum i think browsers should implement an option for recovering lost data duo to connection drop or software crashing so you don't have to select and ctrl+C it :D .

Microsoft Word is a pretty good word processor, but Microsoft Word 2007 in particular is very buggy. I would consider switching to other alternatives but OpenOffice is too buggy for my needs and I have not had a chance to try Lotus' offerings yet. Microsoft Office 2010 is out there and I ought to get an upgrade, but I am hoping to get the discount that they offer when buying the software with a new PC. Sure, it is not cheap but it costs less than buying the software off the store shelves. Microsoft Word's auto-save did help me recover data on numerous occasions and Microsoft Word 2003 was just amazing, with lots of people out there still using it in 2010.My next word processor would probably be Microsoft Word 2010 because Microsoft has done a lot to get its act together after Windows Vista so I'm sure Office 2010 would have had the same level of commitment as Windows 7 did in getting bugs squished under the feet of the developers. Until then, I'll have to live with the bugs that occasionally pop up in Word 2007.PS: Did you know - Word 2007 can also open OpenOffice documents.

I never really had any major problems with Microsoft Word except for the time when I lost 3 pages of work. I guess it was my fault though. I was working on a report and left the computer unattended. I never saved the report so when I left the computer, the Windows Update Restart Window popped up and I was not there to delay the restart. When I got back to the computer, my computer was at the Welcome Screen. I learned my lesson and started to save regularly.

The other other real problem that I have with Microsoft Word is that the 2007+ versions have wierd formatting issues and I haven't taken the time to learn it. For example, when I set the spacing to 1.0, my header spaces the lines out. This is one of the reasons why I prefer to use Microsoft Word 2003 and below. Other than that, I really think Microsoft Word is a useful program.

CTRL-S should be your friend... best friend...I hit it instinctively after half a page or so of writing...

I agree completely. I abuse this button soo much and I frequently make multiple copies of my work to prevent losing them.