xisto Community
AbstracT

I Hate Microsoft Word

I stayed up all night yesterday to finish up my 10 page paper for philosophy. My microsoft word normally auto save my work after a couple of minutes..So when I was on my 5th page it was saved but it never saved when I reached my 10th page. So after I put my finishing touches my paper and was about to save it the program froze. I mean I couldn't move the cursor I couldn't do anything..I wasn't running any extra programs so it wasn't that prob...I stared at my screen for a whole hour hoping it will just come back to normal and it didn't...I had to type up the rest of the 5 pages AGAIN!

I know that had to be a bad thing to happen. Man I also hate that program most of the time. Grr. My stupid computer class has us working in that and we are also working in yet another crappy program which is access. Both of those programs should have never been made. I really think that they are a burden.

Hey all,Just another great program brought to you by M$ aka. Microbloat.Win Word is a huge resource hog & will often crash your puter... even with lots of RAM etc. Try open source programs that will convert your documents to MS Word format for saving. Then.. once you have your content safely saved to disk.. you can open up MS Word to do the final page layout etc.Look at sourceforge.net for MS Word replacement programs. "Open Office" has a good word processor that saves in MS Word format.Hope this helps,RGPHNXPS- my signature says it all re: MS

ummm,there are nothing problem happned when i use microsoft Word or other office software like Excel or powerpoint.may be you should reinstall again or fix on it.usually this kind of office software work well.good luck...

i don't know why you people always have problem with MS stuff. I have NEVER had MS Word crash on me and I am probably a power user of all MS applications (I do VB scripting and macros). And another thing, don't think open office and linux NEVER crashes... cause it DOES.Just like MAC's are advertised as the most friendly computer, it is actually not as easy to use as Windows. I'll admit, most of my Mac experience is with the outdated OS9 but even then they were saying OS9 doesn't crash. I hate to say it but it crashed ALL the time. Probably 3 times more likely to crash than Win2k. There is no contest between OS9 and XP though.

Sorry to hear your hard work go in vain in a minute. If that makes you hate the word MS and MS word you could be right.. but doesn't the problem lies in your system too? I have not encounter such situation, never in the past so far and I wonder. In fact MS office 2000 and above won't behave strangely that way. If you are using lower versions it could happen. So, I think it has to do with your system configuration as well. Anyways your bad experience makes me feel sorry for you...

Right, I'll say first off that i use a mac, but it's beside the point. Next time it happens and it will, Windows always has a version of the file your working on in the temp files directory. Do a search by date and time, all recently created or updated files should show up and garanteed that one of them will have been the one that you were working on (with the name temp1184010). If you try to do a search for the file name it won't work. Hope that helps.
round

Meh. I don't use Word all that often, but it doesn't crash too much with me. Whenever it has happened though, it wasn't the fault of Word. It's usually either a power failure, memory overuse (I multitask a LOT), or things of that nature.` And believe me, Linux and Mac do crash too.It's just that Linux gives you more control of your system. There are less shell things, so there's tons of available memory, and there's not too many Linux viruses, so you're pretty safe there...I just hate using Linux, mostly because I have no idea what to do, and I'm a bright kid, but I don't feel like spending the time learning it. And I'm just too used to all the Windows apps I use to give them up. Believe me, I've tried HARD to switch to Linux. Never gonna happen. My Red Hat, Linspire, and Mandrake are just going to sit there getting dusty...And I have honestly NO idea why people like Macs so much. They just seem so....ODD.

Sorry to hear that. But think of the positive side, it could have been worse. At least it still saved 5 pages for you:) Better than none.I don't like microsoft word either. I only use it if i really have to. Maybe because my computer is very slow and microsoft words takes very long to load, and when it does, it also slows down all other programs that i am using.I prefer notepad if i just want to make some notes.

I hate Microsoft in general.The whole "sell it for more because everyone uses our OS's!" thing is a bunch of crap. The OS's look and operate like crap, Microsoft Office is way over priced, and the new crap that is out for Microsoft that is made by Microsoft isn't compatable with older Microsoft OS's! If it was possible, I would install OS X on this computer in a heart beat, but I dont feel like buying a whole new computer, and plus not a lot of things work on Apples.

Microsoft is here to stay. As long as their OS is easy to use and the average day person knows how to use it ( average I mean normal ) then Microsoft will dominate. We are taught to use Windows OS in schools as well, and Windows is used for almost every buisness now... so why fight it?