xisto Community
jon182

Why Does Google Advertise?

why on earth does google advertise?? If you've ever used the computer you know what google is. why do they need to advertise???? any ideas? i think it's money down the drain. (although they have plenty)

why on earth does google advertise?? If you've ever used the computer you know what google is. why do they need to advertise???? any ideas? i think it's money down the drain. (although they have plenty)

You do not stay on top without investing back into your product and to have greater earnings you need growth. One method of gaining new customers is through advertising. While google might be on top of the pile, they like any other business knows that to maintain that and to grow further they need to advertise. Business only cares about growth and google is not different, they may be philanthropic in some of their actions, and they might have the motto "Don't do evil" but they still care about shareholder returns and profits. Shareholders will dump the stock if they do not grow or make a proffit, which leads to the stock price falling which in turns means that the founders with their huge stock options are not as rich as they once were. $$$ might is right as they say.

By why google advertise you mean, that google advertise it self? it's own products? Well, it really logical, if you think that everybody knows google and all their products you are wrong, most of people knows google search and not all people know google mail or google maps until they don't see and advertisement.. it works..Of course, most of use young people knows a lot of google products, but usually where do you find out about them? on their blog, on different forums or even though friends and chatting, it;s not something you always knew..Why coca-cola advertise them self if everyone knows what it is? Just look how much money Adidas, Nike, puma spends for advertisement.. and it works. I usually buy in the shop something I know is more seen or advertised, but not always.Google is making lots of money from google adsense and google adwords and all those ads, even though, because of the current crisis I read that they lost about 40% shares so it's hard for them, also lots of people or other companies likes to sue google for some stupid things, so I think these 1 or 2 years will be a little tougher for them than the previous ones.

It's simple. Google has an advertising program, Google Ads. Companies pay a lot for these advertisements because they know how many people use Google products thus see their ads. The more people see these ads, the more money Google gets from companies.Simply put: more google-users = more people seeing the ads = more income for Google = more possible growth = more google-users = ...

what's google?

Google is probably the way you have found this site...i think that was unnecessary post from you.

you should know that EVERY company must advertise just as wutske said...if you advertise,you always get more customers.
google probably doesn't target who to advertise,everyone needs search engines,google is biggest,but some people still don't use google,they use yahoo or something else...by advertising,they can get more people to use their search engine,and thus they get more money by putting other people ads on their site

Mainly to show people who like other search engines all the features on Google. Google started as a search engine, but has much more now, and people who don't use it might not know that it has all these features. Hence why google would advertise. Plus it isn't much money for a big company like that anyway.

I've to agree with willie. Google started as search engine then evolved into complete internet development company. They're into internet & offline advertising as well. They encourage opensource development and are in process of creating their own operating system. Besides that they launched many free products. How they managed all this ? From advertising money, obviously. On internet you've to either sell your own product or have to earn money from advertising. And google is earning from both ways. What's wrong with advertising ? They need to make money to survive and pay their developers, publishers and to investors. Besides in early days they did publicity from word of mouth, but times change. So they've to advertise their products and also have to show ads on their results to survive.

It's always good to advertising. There may come a day that something new and innovative comes out and Google does not want to be forgotten very quickly. I do understand your point where almost everybody knows of Google, but again if you're as big as Google and as rich as them then advertising isn't that big of a deal.

Maybe because Google is the biggest company in the business and you know that the big company ever dominate to the small. It is gonna be very difficult to get Google away his position but its possible so you can pay advertise on bing.com but the problem is most people use Google and your ads itsn´t gonna be visible to all the people in internet so you lose and that is the reason because google dominates the ads market until these days.

And google needs to advertise his company because there is something named catch the people and if the people forget google and start to fall in a mass MSN campaign Google can lose its market or be reduced to fractions in some years.

I don't get this fermin. Why to pay for advertising on bing ? Just to bring google down ? or advertising on bing is profitable ? Any advantages ? I mean just to bring google down we should use other search engines and pay on other ad-networks. What's wrong if we manage to earn profit from google itself. Besides, how google will lose it's market ? Until and unless their search results go down. I don't see any reason they'll go down in market. The day google's search results quality goes down. Some other search engine will climb up in market and google will learn it's lesson just like microsoft.

do you think around the world are many peoples which using other search engine than google, like bing or yahoo ? First, many ppl are n00bs, old people or youngs which using the pc for the first time, or prefer to use IE instead Firefox, for example. Like you know, IE comes installed with Bing search engine like default and you need to install google on it. If you are a n00b is little hard.

Second......in Americas is most used like chat client MSN, but in Europe is more used Yahoo. Same with Google.
There are many browsers but more used now are Google, Yahoo and Bing. Bings is on second place. Let's be serious, you never used Bing ? I used and I thing everybody know about Bing. So, is popular. Also have a service like Google earth and is very good also... But you heard about Yebol ? I never heard about it.....is here: http://www.yebol.com/ So it's not deserve to pay for it :D

Yebol looks good. But search results are of their own ? or from collected by other search engines ? I know there are plenty of search engines which are collecting search data from other search engines and making their own search. Is yebol something like that. I did searched for it, got good results. I also tried cuil and yauba. Yauba is perfect for file search. Especially if you're in search of pdf or ppt files. Then yauba can help you. Though there are places like docstoc and scribd where you can get files. But yauba is place if you failed to get documents from anywhere else. Same with cuil, but it's not that good for file searching. It is from ex-employers of google. It is god at indexing data but i didn't find any interesting in search results. Just that they're sort out and nothing else. I think these search engines are less promoting themselves, otherwise we can find useful stuff from their search results. But seriously, though bing is by default installaed in IE and other computers. I didn't find bing results helping in most of my search result queries. Since MSN live to Bing, i found only name and interface change results are still low quality in comparison to google.

I never heard about that 2 search engines. About Yebol.....is an independent search engine, they have the own result. At least this is what they say. but I think all search engine get the results from the others search engine. Is very hard to index your website to appear on that search engines. But for this moment I tried to find one of my websites on Yebol. That websites is search engine friendly and is indexed for google. But I didn't fiound it on Yebol :D So I think is a intependent one.

Edited by demlasjr (see edit history)

Yauba and cuil are not browsers. They're search engines like google. And they do have their own results and database. They collect their refined database from sites like scour and other search engine filtering services. I did bit search for yebol service and yes they're independent. They might be indexing on their own Or perhaps indexing popular other search engines and collecting search results based on that. I suspected about their results cause i found their search results similar to yahoo and bing results. I know some search engines co-operate with their search results. So i felt yebol was on similar lines as that of scour and hpf type search engines. But it's not like that they're independent. Yebol is good search engine. Just new in the market. I have to see if it can give results for some my queries.