xisto Community
wutske

Disable Annoying Information Bar In Ie Your current security settings put your computer at risk

Ever since Microsoft released SP2 I got realy annoyed by the fact the every single click has to be verified because the operating system thinks you are stiill a noob. One of the more annoying "features" is that windows asks everytime I want to open an executable that I downloaded or I want to run over the network. Strange enough, this is not a windows-feature but an Internet Explroer feature, so this is the place where we have to disable this.
Now, because Internet Explorer thinks mallware has changed this setting, it warns you in internet explorer with an message in the information bar ("Your current security settings put your computer at risk") taking up usefull space, so I wanted to disable this (and also because I know what I do and my system is still secure even tough Internet Explorer is trying to tell me it's not).

Anyway, I finaly found a way to disable the annoying security check:

How to get rid of the Annoying Information Bar in IE7
This tutorial is written for those experienced computer users who understand how to configure Internet Explorer Security Settings, and what all the settings mean. Internet Explorer 7 DOES improve security, however, for IT professionals who know what they are doing, IE7’s “improved security” is annoying and we can do without the idiotic “bloop” sounds and frustrating information bar popups

Windows XP Pro: Go to Start->Run->gpedit.msc

Double-click the “Turn off the Security Settings Check Feature” entry and choose “Enable

Explanation: This policy setting turns off the Security Settings Check feature, which checks Internet Explorer security settings to determine when the settings put Internet Explorer at risk. ( NOTE: this means that the annoying bar will not pop up) NO MORE ANNOYING INFORMATION BAR!!! If you enable this policy setting, the security settings check will not be performed. If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, the security settings check will be performed.

src: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The information bar is kinda annoying. I don't like it when the bar is shown when a JavaScript redirect starts a file download - the system that is used by many websites with messages like "Click here if your download doesn't automatically start". The entire page has to be refreshed before IE initiates the download.Thanks for sharing that info.

Personally, I don't mind the Information Bar when I am using Internet Explorer. It rarely comes up except for the occassional pop up window blocked or prompting me to run an add-on.If Firefox or Opera had this functionality, this would be great (at least, for me).Also, your tip requires Group Policy Editor, which can only be found in Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista Business, or Windows Vista Ultimate.

Does this fix affect the current user or all users.. I'm just curious cause we have quite a few user accounts on the PC.

The information bar is kinda annoying. I don't like it when the bar is shown when a JavaScript redirect starts a file download - the system that is used by many websites with messages like "Click here if your download doesn't automatically start". The entire page has to be refreshed before IE initiates the download.

Thanks for sharing that info.

I don't know if this fixes that problem. It only disables the check for misconfigurations (eg. changing 'allow programs to run' from 'ask' to 'allow' ).

Personally, I don't mind the Information Bar when I am using Internet Explorer. It rarely comes up except for the occassional pop up window blocked or prompting me to run an add-on.

If Firefox or Opera had this functionality, this would be great (at least, for me).

Also, your tip requires Group Policy Editor, which can only be found in Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista Business, or Windows Vista Ultimate.

I hate it because it's always visible because I changed a setting that IE thinks is now unsafe.

About the group policy editor, your completelyl right about that, I'll see if I can find which registry key it changes :mellow:

Does this fix affect the current user or all users.. I'm just curious cause we have quite a few user accounts on the PC.

I suppose it does since the setting is in "computer settings > administrative templates"

I have no idea if this will work for XP Home users since I only have XP Pro here, but this is the registry-way of disabling the information bar:

- Open regedit (Start > Run > regedit )

- Navigate to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Security

- If those key don't exist, you'll probably have to create them. They are case-sensitive !!!

- Now, create the following DWORD (CASE SENSITIVE !!!): DisableSecuritySettingsCheck

- Give this DWORD the value: 1

Btw, messing with the reigstry is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing, one wrong move can be enough to mess up your whole computer. Everything you do in the registry is at your own risk.

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

Simply changing to another browser such as Mozilla Firefox or Apple Safari would remove the annoying information bar since these applications do not have one. It is probably more safe and secure not to use Internet Explorer anyway.

Simply changing to another browser such as Mozilla Firefox or Apple Safari would remove the annoying information bar since these applications do not have one. It is probably more safe and secure not to use Internet Explorer anyway.

I know, I never use Internet Explorer (Opera fan over here ;) ), but I need it when developping websites because cross-compatibility while using div's is one of my main goals. I found it realy annoying that IE7 kept using usefull space.

SolvedDisable Annoying Information Bar In Ie

Just installed the IE8 and it have the same problem, among other annoying things.

But I just found a solution.

1) Click the X on the right top corner.

2) Go to Start, then Programs, then FIREFOX.

3) All my problems are now fixed.

Microsoft must be recruiting some BAD programmers. I couldn´t believe that after 30 seconds I was killing IE8. This must be a guiness record of some kind!

-reply by w3Rm

? Internet 8Disable Annoying Information Bar In Ie

How do I disable the prompt that asks me if I want to close all of the tabs, or just the one tab?  I already talked to several people in India via Microsoft Support, and they could not answer the question.

I have Googled "disable IE 8 prompts" and yet I have not found a tutorial that informs me how to do this in simple English.  For example, is it dumb for me to expect to see (somewhere on the big ol' Internet) examples of all of the different IE 8 prompts, why they appear, and how to disable them if they are a nuisance which most are? 

-question by John

? Internet 8

Disable Annoying Information Bar In Ie

<p>How do I disable the prompt that asks me if I want to close all of the tabs, or just the one tab?  I already talked to several people in India via Microsoft Support, and they could not answer the question.</p>

<p>I have Googled "disable IE 8 prompts" and yet I have not found a tutorial that informs me how to do this in simple English.  For example, is it dumb for me to expect to see (somewhere on the big ol' Internet) examples of all of the different IE 8 prompts, why they appear, and how to disable them if they are a nuisance which most are?  </p>

-question by John

<p> </p>

I don't know if it's changed in IE8, but in IE7 it's simple to do.

Just open the internet settings (press ALT-key first then go to: Extrz > Internet Settings). Near the bottom of the first tab you see Tab with a Settings button. Click it and you'll find the option to disable that question :o

And in Firefox, in the Option, Tabs, there is a checkbox "warn me when i close several tags". Of course, it's always closed on my PC because I very often click on the general close X instead of clicking on the X closing the single tab I wanted to close (and absolutely NOT the other ones).

remove information barDisable Annoying Information Bar In Ie

--------------------------------------------------------------------Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMainFeatureControlFEATURE_SECURITYBAND]"(Reserved)"=dword:00000000"explorer.Exe"=dword:00000000"iexplore.Exe"=dword:00000000"wmplayer.Exe"=dword:00000000-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-reply by pete

Well the above regedit doe's not work on my Windows Vista Premium SP2!

But I did find out how to turn it off...

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMainFeatureControlFEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN

iexplore.Exe 0x00000001 (1)

Change to:

iexplore.Exe 0x00000000 (0)

No more Information Bar!

Enjoy

-reply by InsiteFX

It does not change for all users. We have several users on a domain that can log into the computer and only 1 person has the pop up while the other users that login to the same machine, do not get the pop up.