xisto Community
yordan

Skydrive 5 gigs for saving your data

It should have noted that another limit of Windows Live Skydrive is the maximum 50 megabytes per file limit on uploads.At the moment, I am using Windows Live Skydrive to backup some vital documents before I go on vacation for a few days. However, I have still used Windows Live Mesh's own synchronisation as my first backup and Norton Ghost as my secondary backup.

I do have one concern while using this. I was on the job swapping out a crashed power edge server, and I was working on the net and was trying to send over a large file that was going into a Windows 98 computer. Well my flash drive didn't really work well with the 98 machine, so I planned on using my SkyDrive. I was trying to access the drive but the newly created high security settings on the server did not allow the SkyDrive to function. The java was blocked. Unfortunately, I did not have the time I would have liked to try to troubleshoot it, but I am wondering if there was a lite version. Maybe if there is, next time I will try to see if it does.Other than the block, my wife and I were able to send files, pictures and videos to each other when we were both away. There was plenty of storage for us to move files where we needed.

A Great Easy Service that Integrates With Your Live IDSkydrive

I typically use Skydrive for backups of important files, and I have a shared folder that my friend can access where I can easily share files. It allows me to acess files from anywhere. I find SkyDrive very convenient and useful.

-reply by Brian Davis

Can you save changes on skydrive?Skydrive

I stored several documents on skydrive. (I am an online instructor and this is a pretty handy storage space). However, when I opened a doc, made changes and saved it, the changes were not there the next time I opened it. I don 't get any error messages, it just doesn't save... Any advice?

-reply by tjdesoto

Thanks guys here. It is the first time I hear the name of SkyDrive. 25 gigabytes of storage for each user, a five-fold increase in storage space is really awesome and tempting, and actually 5 gigabytes is enough though. But the only thing I am concerned about is the speed and bandwidth limit. What would it be if I am trying to upload and download a large file from there? The speed of MSN hotmail is really makes me crazy and sometimes can not access at all locally. Anyway, this tool is quite useful as I have to travel to other places once in a while. I gonna give it a try later on.

I haven't read the website for this yet as so far most "online storage space" sites lie about what they can and can not do.So for anyone who uses it, is this usable for backing up normal files? Say you have a 700 MB video, could you upload it there and then download it from other PC's? (or share the link with others so they can download it as well?)And if so, is there a bandwidth limitation/maximum times a file can be downloaded?

You see the limitations when you try uploading a file :

Note Upload size is limited to 50 MB per file.Copying or sharing unauthorized materials is a violation of the Microsoft service agreement.

You can also notice that the user disk space is now 25 gigs.

I do like the fact that it has moved to 25 Gigs... There just always seems like there is stuff I would love to keep online, and the drive is just a nice thing to be able to get to. There were times that I would be reinstalling PCs and even older ones, that weren't really too functional with USBs and once I was online, I would try to use my Skydrive.I am glad to see that it is not installed on the PC, so it is a good thing to have online. I do use hotmail, but not as much as I used to. So it is nice to keep things on Skydrive... If there were other online storage, I would still try it... but it is nice to already be useful, and not have to pay extra or monthly charges.- skedad -

So it is nice to keep things on Skydrive... If there were other online storage, I would still try it...

I tried some other free online storage servers (only the free part of them) and I was rather disappointed when I saw my files disappearing. My skydrive files are still there, probably because microsoft servers have no free space problems.

Hosting files on Skydrive is secure than other free online storage services. Because other online storage services try to reduce their expenses by deleting inactive links etc etc. So there is no guarantee for our files over there. There are also some good free ones like Rapidshare, megaupload but CAPTCHA part and time delays is an issue.

I used to use SkyDrive back when I was coding in DM. I haven't used it since, but that's because I haven't really had to upload anything for so long. Since I'm using BYOND again, I'll probably start using it again.Just a note for those who say 50 MBs is too small: Most compression utilities now-a-days support splitting archives into multiple files. That way, you can upload a 200MB file in 4 parts.

God, I would of never thought of it, CopsNRobbers. Anyways, how would this be handy if you are on a mobile phone because the iPhone is the only phone that lets you copy and paste text. So how would you be able to do it on mobile phone's? Or am I closing my eyes, shutting my ears, and saying "La La La La" out loud. So what was it? I have about, hmm.... nah, yeah right; I have no idea what the answer is to that question. I don't know what the answer is to that. Please, I'm begging you for the answer CopsNRobbers. But you did bring up a good point when you said about the compression stuff. ;) So anyways, I tried something simmilar to this, except it was worse. The service was called "Drop Box". Not Good Bringing up this topic about Skydrive, Dropbox is worthless, pointless and extremly bad. Dropbox is one cheap group. I mean really, to get more than 2 GB of storage, you have to pay. Good thing Microsoft stands in front of them making Skydrive, so I wouldn't be using Drop Box. Well, I got to say that this is pretty interesting talking about thing. Best Regards, -Hannah

SkyDrive Files are deleted So help me to get the file Skydrive

Sky Drive Files are deleted So help me to get the file/////////...What the case is what kinda of algorithm use by microsoft to remove copyright materials.Actually I didnt upload the file like that... Let see who can help me to get the skydrive deleted files... Please mail me 2 3 times to every emailid so that mail be not deleted like microsoft...Zzzesica@hotmail.ComZonsonlovely@yahoo.Com

-reply by Zonson