xisto Community
yordan

Skydrive 5 gigs for saving your data

Wow 25 GB of storage? I never knew this even existed. This is extremely helpful for online storage. I was using Box.net but I think this might just be even better.

I still don't understand how it works. I installed Windows Live Sync. Fine, I can see my files and folders while I am on Sync. But, When I switched off Sync, and go online to open files, it says the file is not reachable.I'm confused.The reason why I sync it online is for an online backup in case my local files lost due to PC problem.If I have to keep local computer online to see the online files, why bother?By the way, an embed link service would be nice on top of skydrive. But I understand it's just a dream. It's not posible that Microsoft would let people to use it as a free hosting service.

I still don't understand how it works. I installed Windows Live Sync. Fine, I can see my files and folders while I am on Sync. But, When I switched off Sync, and go online to open files, it says the file is not reachable.

I don't use Live Sync.I think that the most interesting feature is that Skydrive can be reached from any PC running a browser, having LiveSync or not. This means that, from my computer at home I put a copy of my precious text (which costed me a lot of thinking effort) on the Skydrive disk. And then, I o to my cousin's office in Canada, and my files are readable. I find this very useful as a short time security feature.

this reminds of those self storage places... that's quite handy, i think i'll signup for one.... is it just for documents/txt files and pictures? how about other file types.... hopefully soon they'll be added

this reminds of those self storage places... that's quite handy, i think i'll signup for one.... is it just for documents/txt files and pictures? how about other file types.... hopefully soon they'll be added

sorry didn't read the page properly... 25GB is quite an amount of FREE space... it's a great way of sharing files (not illegal copies of course) with co-workers and friends... a group of friends can set up each person's account with all same password and each can access the others account... i might actually do that hehe

a group of friends can set up each person's account with all same password and each can access the others account... i might actually do that hehe

No need to share your passwords. You set/edit permissions for each file : me, some friends (enter the name), all your friends, public.So, you preciously keep your account and password, and you share your files with the people who have to use them.

It's the first time I heard of Skydrive, maybe I've heard it before, but never really thought what it is, it's something like GMail drive, but as I know GMail drive is illegal..

But anyway, I didn't need this kind of services before, but for some time I am just using Dropbox, it's easy to use and I guess it works the same as Skydrive? Or am I wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/

I am using it and have almost 3 GB of space and it's free and I think I am using only half of it, it's really good and comfortable to use for files which you frequently use and modify, you don't need to have an USB key or something like that and bring it with you and copy/replace/create files whenever something changes and can work at work with those files, at home on one computer at home with the laptop and maybe even on your smartphone, as files will be synchronized and you will see the latest files everywhere, it's really convenient.

Skydrive seems to offer much more, even 25 GB, but is it really the same as DropBox? Can anyone confirm me this as I don't really like to register with Microsoft services, even though I am using Skype, but Microsoft bought it I don't really want to use it anymore ;)