xisto Community
dserban

The Best Free Alternatives To Nero Cd/dvd Burner

Nero is one of the best pieces of software available in the market for CD/DVD Burning Purposes, but it ’s quite expensive. It’s bulky and comes with a lot of programs that you’ll never really use. Why not try some freeware CD DVD burning applications that can serve as an alternative to Nero Burning ROM for your Windows PC?

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by dserban (see edit history)

Nero is the only program that will burn ISOs for me for some reason, my cd drive is almost stuffed but it will still work with Nero.I've found Nero 8 to be quite buggy and I prefer Nero 7 to be honest.Nero isn't exactly that expensive, it's in the price range of I wanna buy something that seems cool for me!I've used alot of free burning programs, they can be quite complicated and take years to burn something, I like how Nero is quite easy and is alot faster than other programs!

I do not have any problems accessing the link, you might be having DNS issues on your end, try this link instead:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

You are right.My proxy had problem, working from another town I had no problem reaching this site. And, yes, these burning software seem really interesting, should give them a try.

Nero isn't exactly that expensive, it's in the price range of I wanna buy something that seems cool for me!

Sometimes, the full version of Nero7 costs as much as the CD burner device, which dobles the cost when buying both at the same time. And, of course, the Nero licence you paid for a given computer shall not be used on another one bought without nero.

Sometimes, the full version of Nero7 costs as much as the CD burner device, which dobles the cost when buying both at the same time.

Back when I purchased my first cd burner (those many years ago ;)) nero came with the cd burner. Granted, it was only a limited version with a few features (no where near as many that nero 7 has nowadays) but it still did the job!

Back when I purchased my first cd burner (those many years ago ;)) nero came with the cd burner. Granted, it was only a limited version with a few features (no where near as many that nero 7 has nowadays) but it still did the job!

Yes, but it's limited to maximum speed, so, it burns mostly at 52X for CD's or 16X for DVD's. No way to make it burn at a more reasonable speed, I use 12X for CD's and 8X for DVD's. And in order to be able to this, you must switch to "advanced" mode, which is possible only if you have a paid version licence.

I used to use nero a looooong time ago, I can't say it was a spectacular program, it just did what it had to do, burning cd's and dvd's. I must admit I've never payed for it (I started with the version that came with my dvd-burner, but when it got outdated I got myself a cracked version ;) ) and I'm glad I didn't because I don't think it was worth it. Nowadays I use CDBurnerXP Pro, it's free and it does everything Nero does (the burning part of Nero of course), I don't need all those extra tools and applications, I'm happy if I can put my data on a disc without having to search 20 minutes for the right program.

The alternative that I am using to Nero is Roxio Easy Creator. I really get into Roxio... I know now that there is a HUGE Roxio Suite, but out of all of that, I basically use the Class Creator. It is easy to use, and I just grew to like it. I remember older versions with color coded song selections... It wasn't a big deal, but it is a nice and colorful way to keep track of your songs... I think it would do the same for data.I know now that it was pretty basic, but I have seen many new options and updates for Easy Creator. Nero works basically the same, but there were a few differences, but either one I would recommend. I have tried others, but some are beginning trial runs, but there are not too many that guarantee all of the options that Nero and Roxio have.

The best replacement for nero

The Best Free Alternatives To Nero Cd/dvd Burner

I've found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ not a few alternatives to nero. They are rated as following:

***** roxio

*** sonic

** easy media creator

** easy cd creator

** alcohol

* dante

* dvd shrink

* pinnacle

* alcohol 120

* nero express

* duchin

clone dvd

dvd decrypter

recordnow

Info at http://dooblet.com/alternative-to-nero

-reply by noxsta

Does any of these support burning VOB and IFO files?My friend gave me his external HDD so I could backup his stuff. But I want to copy some movies on to DVD, but its VOB and IFO. Most Google searches are useless as the programs just crashes.

Does any of these support burning VOB and IFO files?My friend gave me his external HDD so I could backup his stuff. But I want to copy some movies on to DVD, but its VOB and IFO. Most Google searches are useless as the programs just crashes.

You don't really burn the VOB and the IFO files.
One popular way of saving a movie is copying the whole content of the DVD in a folder of hard disk.
Just look if you have a player able to to directly play the movie off the external HDD.
If your player is able to play the movie off your external disk, with any burner you create a data disk and choose the whole folder (with the VOB and IFO files), and choose something like "create a data disk without conversion".
Probably your burner crashes because it tries to create a video disk with compression conversion, which is usually too hard for the burner programs.
Same thing if you want to burn mp3 files, you must burn them as "creating a data disk", and not as "create a music disk", else the burner will try to expand the compressed mp3 files and they will not fit inside the burned CD size.
Of course, remember, you are legally allowed to burn a DVD when you own the original DVD movie. If there is a control and you cannot prove that you still owe the original, this is against the law in most of countries, and it's against our forum rules to talk about this here.

Personally, I also was using Nero for some time, but after a while it really got big, the only thing I needed from Nero was CD burning, but it offered so much, I stopped using it and as I remember on this board at Xisto community I found a really great alternative for Windows XP to burn CD's, it really works well for me..

CDBurnerXP, it is free and you can get it here, also it's really light: https://cdburnerxp.se/