xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

New Custom Bbcodes For This Board

If you can't figure anything out, maybe you could use JS to select a random number and then name the div/whatever you use that. There's a chance it'd be the same, but if you use a really big upper limit, you could decrease it a lot.

HI all,

I'm in the process of introducing a couple of new BBCodes to help us make better posts and make parts of the content stand out. Two such new BBCodes are CONSOLE and NOTE. Out of these, the NOTE BBCode is for use of the Mods & Admins only. Anybody else found using them in their posts will be penalized suitably.

1. CONSOLE

This code is to be used for displaying console input/output in your posts. The text to be shown has to be enclosed within a matching pair of  [ CONSOLE ]  [ /CONSOLE ] tags.

Example:

CONSOLE

[root@getafix root]# ifconfig eth0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:88:39:D2:69

inet addr:10.19.168.5 Bcast:10.19.168.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fe80::20d:88ff:fe39:d269/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:6587 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:12936 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:1650710 (1.5 Mb) TX bytes:2043205 (1.9 Mb)

Interrupt:225 Base address:0xb800

2. NOTE

This BBCode is to be used by the Mods & Admins ONLY. This will make your instructions (when you edit posts) stand out way better. An example:

Notice from microscopic^earthling:
Posted in wrong section. Topic moved.

This code takes your username as an option and dispays it in the header. Thus the format would be, [ NOTE = YourUserName ] Notice Text [ / NOTE ] . Don't include the SPACES that I've put after the [] brackets - that's just to demonstrate the code.

Just now I finished implementing yet a third BBCode - HIGHLIGHT

3. HIGHLIGHT

This will help you highlight certain parts of your post with a desired color. The highlight color is passed on as an option to the BBCode. Format: [ HIGHLIGHT = color ] YourText [ / HIGHLIGHT ]. This would give an output like"

This is Yellow Highlighted Text

These are for a starter - more to come. If you have any suggestions for cool BBCodes, don't hesitate to post/add-in to this topic and I'll add them to the board after reviewing.

All the best & Have fun :)

66339[/snapback]

So you are a admin mow. Congrats. And keep up the good work. :D

Alright, microscopic^earthling, so I don't know if you were saying only mods to suggest new BB Codes, but I thought it would be cool to have a [ BLINK ] tag. Here's my idea:

<script language="javascript">var color[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR] = 0;var hexco[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR] = '';function bl[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR]() {  color[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR] = (16777215 - color[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR]);  hexco[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR] = color[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR].toString(16);  hexco[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR] = "#" + ("000000").substring(0,6 - hexco[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR].length) + hexco[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR];  document.all.b[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR].style.color = hexco[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR];}setInterval("bl[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR]()",[COLOR=blue]{option}[/COLOR]);</script><span id="b[COLOR=red]*[/COLOR]">[COLOR=blue]{content}[/COLOR]</span>
* = digits (if possible) that would start at 1 and count up depending on how many times this code was used and by how many people in one page.

Otherwise, if the option to change automatically do b1, b2, b3, etc. to change blinking speeds wouldn't work, then just put it as replace all *'s with 1's and get rid of the option tag and replace it with a number (it is in milliseconds). I thought 500 is pretty good (blinks every half a second). Well, tell me what you think of it.

Arg... sorry about that, I'm a little inexperienced with the [ CODE ] tag. Here's what I wanted it to look like:

<script language="javascript">

var color* = 0;

var hexco* = '';

function bl*() {

color* = (16777215 - color*);

hexco* = color*.toString(16);

hexco* = "#" + ("000000").substring(0,6 - hexco*.length) + hexco*;

document.all.b*.style.color = hexco*;

}

setInterval("bl*()",{option});

</script>

<span id="b*">{content}</span>

* = digits (if possible) that would start at 1 and count up depending on how many times this code was used and by how many people in one page.

Otherwise, if the option to change automatically do b1, b2, b3, etc. to change blinking speeds wouldn't work, then just put it as replace all *'s with 1's and get rid of the option tag and replace it with a number (it is in milliseconds). I thought 500 is pretty good (blinks every half a second). Well, tell me what you think of it.

wariorpk, do you mean to do things such as post notes? The notice is more needed because mods and admins need to be able to put an easily visible notice like that for various reasons...

...even the ones I can't use....

137433[/snapback]

Well, the only one you guys can't use is the note thing, but there is a feature in Invision Power Board where you could store your notes: http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?&app=core&module=global&section=login&do=form

Scroll down to "Your personal note pad", and you should see a little text box to store anything you wish there.

Have fun!

Good work m^e. I know that these things were around before I joined, but it's still worth congratulating you for. You mentioned SMF uses a BBCode parser. How could I add my own BBCodes to SMF? (Or even Simpleboard for Mambo?)

hey, good job on those! still ashame the members cant use note...but i was thinking that since the Edit button is back we can have an [edit][/edit] option, where the users can put what they edited instead of saying things like *edit* i fixed spelling errors..ya know what im sayin? just a suggestion

Usually when you edit your own topic, the post by default will include

This post has been edited by ...

The time you made your post and the time it was edited will show that the post was edited. Obviously :lol:
If you would like to differentiate the newer words, simply use something like different colors, HR bar
[HR=noshade] enter your text [/HR]
or what have you. You can use
[HR=0] content [/HR]
as an optional tag. Another one is "shade"