xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

New Custom Bbcodes For This Board

HI all,

I'm in the process of introducing a couple of new BBCodes to help us make better posts and make parts of the content stand out. Two such new BBCodes are CONSOLE and NOTE. Out of these, the NOTE BBCode is for use of the Mods & Admins only. Anybody else found using them in their posts will be penalized suitably.

1. CONSOLE

This code is to be used for displaying console input/output in your posts. The text to be shown has to be enclosed within a matching pair of [ CONSOLE ] [ /CONSOLE ] tags.

Example:

CONSOLE

[root@getafix root]# ifconfig eth0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:88:39:D2:69

inet addr:10.19.168.5 Bcast:10.19.168.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fe80::20d:88ff:fe39:d269/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:6587 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:12936 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:1650710 (1.5 Mb) TX bytes:2043205 (1.9 Mb)

Interrupt:225 Base address:0xb800

2. NOTE

This BBCode is to be used by the Mods & Admins ONLY. This will make your instructions (when you edit posts) stand out way better. An example:

Notice from microscopic^earthling:
Posted in wrong section. Topic moved.

This code takes your username as an option and dispays it in the header. Thus the format would be, [ NOTE = YourUserName ] Notice Text [ / NOTE ] . Don't include the SPACES that I've put after the [] brackets - that's just to demonstrate the code.

Just now I finished implementing yet a third BBCode - HIGHLIGHT

3. HIGHLIGHT

This will help you highlight certain parts of your post with a desired color. The highlight color is passed on as an option to the BBCode. Format: [ HIGHLIGHT = color ] YourText [ / HIGHLIGHT ]. This would give an output like"

This is Yellow Highlighted Text

These are for a starter - more to come. If you have any suggestions for cool BBCodes, don't hesitate to post/add-in to this topic and I'll add them to the board after reviewing.

All the best & Have fun :)

Nice work there micro, shame not all members can use all the new BB Codes but I understand why we cannot. Have anything else up your sleeves?

Yea JJBDude. Whats the essence of introducing the new BBCodes if all the members cannot use them? I dont see any sense in it at all.

I do see a point in it as it lets admins/mods do more things which is good but I don't see why we had to be told about it. Just makes us membes jealous........... But even if you didn't tell us, I suppose we would find out sooner or later.

Lol.. hold on dude.. There's plenty more to come. Out of the three I put in today, only ONE is not for use by all - for the rest you dont even have to pay a single penny :) .. Besides that NOTE thing isn't even worth cribbing about. I'll try get in more of such cool one's that you wouldn't even bother touching that NOTE thingy... :) Have fun !

Yea JJBDude. Whats the essence of introducing the new BBCodes if all the members cannot use them?

I dont see any sense in it at all.

66343[/snapback]

Well as it was stated that only one* of the codes are for mods and admins only, and what's the need of the note one unless you are an admin or mod anyways?

*see I just used the highlight and I'm not in trouble (I hope :) ).

microscopic^earthling:

Nice job, I like those BBCodes, very usefull and tres cool. :)

Thanks :) Here's another (pretty useless one) - unless you want to impress someone with some scrolling text... lol.. It's the BBCode implementation of our good old HTML <MARQUEE> tag. This one takes left & right as options (for now) and scrolls texts accordingly. I've limited the text scroll area width - as it was expanding in a very undesirable way and distorting the page. But I haven't specified any height params, so you can put in as many lines of text as you want and the box will expand to fit it in. Keep in mind that this one takes a little time to start off - I mean the scroll action wouldn't start till the whole page load is completed.

Examples:

[MARQUEE=right]Left to Right Scrolling Text[/MARQUEE]

[MARQUEE=left]

Right to Left Scrolling Text.

With multiple lines of text.

I quite like this one :)

[/MARQUEE]

nice ones, admin micros :) been waiting for that NOTE tag all along. why? because i used to use the CODES tag to include mod notes to erring and edited posts. aside from making other members informed on what pitfall to avoid in their posts also, i didn't want to add more credits to that member who violated forum rules. and the NOTE tag is the way to do it. B)now i'm a happy mod. :)

Thanks serverph.. You got some cool avatar :) .. BTW I forgot to mention about another pretty useless BBCode - the Horizontal Rule. Once again, similar to HTML HR tag, this one inserts a page break line - to neatly divide your content into multiple horizontal sections. This one, takes options like "noshade" or null option - and draws the line accordingly. The "noshade" option makes the line thick and solid and devoid of the standard 3D Shading. Here's another line followed by a "noshade"-ed line. [hr=noshade][/hr]This is the last line of text !

Maybe a spoiler tag for game boards? I'm not sure if there already is one, but if not it could be like

SPOILER:

Like this, maybe

then when you hover over it it turns normal color. (if you're wondering if it really is a spolier, it just says "Like this, maybe")

Yea JJBDude. Whats the essence of introducing the new BBCodes if all the members cannot use them?

I dont see any sense in it at all.

66343[/snapback]

As once previously stated, you are very immature.

How can you not see the purpose in these new BB codes!? These are to help the community! ..And that they shall do.

wow. i have been gone for two weeks for a vacation and there are plenty of improvements here at Trap 17. I hope this small additions to the forum could atleast prevent spamming just to increase their credits.

Hey why don't you guys check out this little tutorial I wrote about custom bbcodes. It's an attempt to show how these BBCodes get translated to HTML or how BBCodes are parsed in general. Find it here: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/82837-how-to-1-custom-bbcodes-for-ipb-console/

Take a look at it and see if you can come up with more neat ones that will be really useful to our community. But try and do some stress tests on them - sometimes the content can span out and distort your whole page really bad. My BBCodes aren't perfected either. Am still working on them. Anyways, if you do create one - either make a post in here or pm me, and I'll add them to the board here. :) Maybe, we can spill out some extra credits for the great work you've done :)

All the best...

I've made some major changes in the NOTE BBcode. The one you saw yesterday was a simple note tag - the one I'm implementing today has much better color theme making it look more like a real note. Since I'm upgrading the old NOTE tag, the earlier example won't be visible anymore and instead it'll be replaced by the new one. Even then, I'm putting in an example here for your convenience. Example:

Notice from microscopic^earthling:
This is a demonstration of the new NOTE tag. Click on the X on top-right corner to expand/collapse the note and have some fun. I'm trying to implement some custom graphics in the header to make it look even better.

Have fun B)

I just noticed a glitch or something similar--If there are multiple notes on a page and you try to collapse the second, the first collapses and the second stays open. Don't think that this is too important but it's something that could be fixed.

I just noticed a glitch or something similar--

If there are multiple notes on a page and you try to collapse the second, the first collapses and the second stays open. Don't think that this is too important but it's something that could be fixed.

66798[/snapback]

Hey thanks for bringing that to my notice :) I'll try fix it - if I fail, I'll release the code in here and see if any of you can sort it out... (anyways, I'm going to post the code after a few days).