xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

This Is Really Stupid Explicitly blocked by developers who dont know how

Go ahead and use Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox, other newer Gecko based browsers to view this page. Please feel free to use Linux, Unix or a Macintosh computer to see this. DO NOT use Internet Explorer 5.5, Internet Explorer 6 or AOL 7 to view this page (at least do it in the other browser first).

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The site is apparently "Explicitly blocked and not supported" (by developers who don't know how). Seriously, with ASP they should be able to seek through HTTP headers and find the appropriate browsers to block.

And also:

Totaljobs.com endeavours to support as many users as possible, but it has become necessary to cease supporting or actively block some browser versions.

What is wrong with using Mozilla-based browsers to visit your site? I can understand if you do not wish to support older software by blocking older versions, but blocking Mozilla-based software is totally unacceptable because there is nothing wrong with using Firefox to browse your site!

I've read that in the UK alternative browser support is higher than in North America. If true, that means that you are shutting out quite a bit of your users. But wait, you don't even block them.

lol wot a stupid site.they support what people dont like using pretty much... if i went on a site and firefox wasnt allowed then id consider it as a bad site and wouldnt waste my time on it at all.i think alot of people these days are waking up to firefox, whoever made that site needs to. more and more people are using firefox i have found and eventually no one is going to be able to go on their site because they are obviously dumb.how could they possibly block a browser and even worse, blocking a whole operating system. i think the dumby who made that site needs to wake up and smell the roses.

lol :rolleyes: . Instead of making a 'lightweight' version for the unsupported browsers. Anyway, if that site was made according to the W3C standards then there shouldn't be a problem with using different browsers or operating systems.I'm also surprised they do block Firefox and not Opera, since Opera is more known for support less sites (this used to be true, but nowadays Opera is on the same level as Firefox).

Urgh, now that's just nasty. On the basis that I only ever use IE to attempt to log in to sites without them remembering who I am (for testing out my login scripts etc.), it seems just a little bit far that they completely block Firefox. Sure, I accept that they may not be able to get it looking perfect, but that's surely no reason to block it?

As a designer I think about it another way...
Picture a "webdesigner" (probably a techie promoted to do the job becuase he know MS office back to front )who only knows his "safe" windows environment and probably think that Frontpage is the best way to design a webpage, a designer who in 2007 is putting together a site FULL of tables and all of his content is in those tables.
Then picture him in a meeting with the rest of the company board members etc showing off how good the site looks etc (all the graphics were outsourced to people who knew what they were doing - he just wrapped tables around them and made them link to other pages) and getting handshakes and applause..
Then picture his face when one of the tech savvy sales team decides to look at the site on his laptop at home using Firefox and decides to mail him and tell him its all messed up!!! imagine him working in a panic at fever pitch on Frontpage working trying to work out what the hell is going on!!
Then it dawns on him....he cannot fix it at all!! without totally rebuilding everything from the ground up again ;((
So the solution??

Totaljobs.com endeavours to support as many users as possible, but it has become necessary to cease supporting or actively block some browser versions.

Yeah I will just block everything I cannot understand!! just wrap that in a table and apply a table stlye to make it funky with round corners :rolleyes:No one will ever know....

Hehe sorry a bit of a rant!! there, but hey Ive been there, seen it in action, had to repair crap like this!!
Gets me good money though B)

All I can say by reading that and browsing that site, that it is really stupid! I don't see the point to do that and never did, blocking any browser is stupid, if the site isn't working with Opera as it should and it works only on IE, why block it, it is really easy to spoof as another browser, or if my browser is old, well I may have an old computer and only that browser which you don't have in your list, haha, I still can see text, sometimes it is good to browse with a text browser like Links, he knows that his browser is old or something and that he can't see something like other people.. Anyway!

It groups Opera with Netscape, which I thought should be with FF. I hate ff, I've heard that the only way to have a msg for Opera is super compliancy, but there is a wrong way that only FF shows something.

But even though they "explicitly block" the browsers, they aren't blocked, at least not on my system. So they don't know how to do it/what they are doing.

I noticed this as well....it says that the browsers are blocked...yet they appear to function perfectly well...

Which leads me to agree with what someone else said about the person designing it (and gave an example story type thing about it)...."oh no!!! it only works in one version of IE....I don't know how to fix it...guess that is all we will support, and we will block everything else. Well i don't know how to do that, so i'll just have the site say that everything else is blocked and/or not supported"

My Opera works on this website, even though it says that its' not supposed to be supported. It's probably just some web designer who made that that way... Notice too that Mac OS is not supported and the only version of Windows is 32 bit versions. Mark 420 has a good point...-Trinifawk

It seems like almost everything on the internet has a mean trick attached to it. I just installed clearwire last month, and now Im just fining out that I can't run my server according to thier acceptable uses policy. I just want to set up the server so that I can work on a student project while Ima at school.

I'm also surprised they do block Firefox and not Opera, since Opera is more known for support less sites (this used to be true, but nowadays Opera is on the same level as Firefox).

AHEMM. Opera > Firefox. And it is sites that have not been written to conform to the standards exactly that cause problems, not the browser itself (unless you don't support the standards to the letter (cough IE, cough FF, cough non-Opera).
And what they are doing is technically illegal, and not to mention highly stupid.
Edited by twitch (see edit history)

Twitch, it is only illegal in the UK to my knowledge, no one else as adopted that silly accesaibility law.It's nice to make a well built and accessible website, but if someone doesn't want to, they shouldn't have to, it's not a place dominated with serious adult business (like a shopping center where strict rules must apply), there is gamers, bloggers, children running their own websites etc.Oh and btw, It works perfectly for me in FireFox 2.0.0.9 unless I am missing something.....

That site is incredibly dumb, if they want to support as many users as possible, why not support all these common browsers that a lot of people use. And to block a whole OS is so stupid.

There is a chance they could be promoting or selling a/product(s) that are not on that OS, so what point is their in showing it to a user from a completely different user base? Is one piece of software going to change someones mind? They'd have to be pretty stupid....... or it'd have to be done darn good program.

Fact is I could knock Mac users off my site probably, everything I generally make is for Windows so most of it is no use, what they might use an emulator? Well that isn't my issue, that's theirs :rolleyes:, maybe they dual boot? Go look at the software on Windows then, it won't work on Mac anyway B).

It's an odd thing to do, but at the end of the day there are reasons, even if there are stupid ones, it is their choice.