xisto Community
Skalman

What Email Client?

Hi, talked with my brother about this, im using msn, but i thinking of change.....He says gmail is best, my other brother i using yahoo! So the question is: whats best? what oppurtunitys do i have? What do You use? pls answer ;)

I say just use Gmail and you won't have problems. ;) You'll have an email which you could use, also you can register with yahoo for an email and use it in places where they need your email to register, due to SPAM on the Internet, you can get it in less usable yahoo account ;)

I use Yahoo! most, though I do have accounts with Hotmail (now Windows Live), GMail, and AOL. I began using Yahoo! long before GMail came along, and at that time, it provided a sizeable inbox with POP3 and SMTP (with SMTP, it will no add the advert at the end of the emails you send - another benefit to using Yahoo! mail) as well as other services. It loaded faster than other sites and was more reliable than Hotmail. (The only reason I signed up for Hotmail was just to use it for Messenger, and to house those stupid chain letters some of my contacts feel the need to forward to me.) With Yahoo!, in addition to your email service, you get a host of many, many other useful services, including Geocities (for anyone who wants to start dabbling with making websites) and Briefcase, as well as entertainment services like Launchcast. A fairly new addition to Yahoo! Mail is that they now allow you to create two email addresses for the same account; in other words, both email addresses will deposit the email you receive in one inbox.

Now, GMail has come along, and it's sort of like Yahoo! as it provides so many services with one email account. It's not bad; I just don't like how it looks in Opera, that's all. (The rounded corners look bad.) But I still prefer Yahoo!; its community and services are more varied, and after all these years, they've got my loyalty to them.

you can register with yahoo for an email and use it in places where they need your email to register, due to SPAM on the Internet

Hey. Yahoo! isn't a bad email service provider; don't use it for such purposes. If you want to keep spammers from getting your email address, then use spamgourmet. You sign up at this service, and you can create a lot of temporary email addresses that you can use at sites that might use your address for less-than-appropriate purposes. Any email they send you (like maybe the confirmation email you'll be getting from them) will be forwarded from this temporary address to your inbox.

If you don't want to sign up at spamgourmet, you could always try temporaryinbox.com, where you can just make an email up on the fly and use it. You can then get an RSS feed to this temporary inbox to check for new emails. However, the downside to temporaryinbox is that there's no password; if someone else accidentally accessed the email address you made up (it's not probable, but it could happen if you made a simple email address), they'll be able to read and delete any emails you may have received.

Serena

definately yahoo! ive been using it for a while and i love it! everything gmail has, yahoo have made it better.go with yahoo. thats my opinion.

First of all, you're not looking for an e-mail client, but an e-mail service provider (or how you'd prefer to call it), an e-mail client is a program you'd use to check your e-mail (like Firebird, Outlook, ...). I myself have a gmail account (and some other accounts too :rolleyes: ), but I'm honestly getting tired of 'Google'. Everywhere I go, everything I do ... google is always chasing me, I'm feeling a bit insecure when I use google, because I don't know what they are logging and linking to my account. That's why I've switched to Yahoo! as my default search engine.

Hi --- I have been using hotmail for years. Recently I opened a gmail account, the problem with this was that in hotmail I could setup folders and segregate the emails I wanted to have more control over. When I switched to gmail, the only way I could save emails was to archive them. Then I couldn't figure to get back to them when I wanted to. I finally gave up and cancelled my accounts. Now I have added an account in yahoo because my granddaughter used that as one of her emails. I haven't had it very long, but it seems to be working for us. I ahve my hotmail account as my personal account, and we put our business email on yahoo.good luck

I would personally recommend Gmail overall.If you are looking for any specific features or things like that, let us know and we can give better advice as to which mail provider may be better suited to you.

Hi --- I have been using hotmail for years. Recently I opened a gmail account, the problem with this was that in hotmail I could setup folders and segregate the emails I wanted to have more control over. When I switched to gmail, the only way I could save emails was to archive them. Then I couldn't figure to get back to them when I wanted to. I finally gave up and cancelled my accounts. Now I have added an account in yahoo because my granddaughter used that as one of her emails. I haven't had it very long, but it seems to be working for us. I ahve my hotmail account as my personal account, and we put our business email on yahoo.

good luck

in gmail you don't create folders but labels. It's actualy easy once you get used to it :rolleyes: . Movig existing messages to a label is a bit more complex, 1 step more complex in fact B) . First you add the label(s) and then you archive the message so it isn't visible in the 'main' inbox anymore.

I have seen lots of topics about this and people here (for the most part) like gmail. I would agree with your brother. Yahoo is OK but doesn't support POP3. This is only a problem if you don't like going to yahoo.com. If you want your emails to show up on Outlook then you need MSN, Hotmail or Gmail (some others support it also). Yahoo is best for a secoundary email because it has yahoo answers and an OK web host (but I guess if your here it wasn't good enough). But your question is not very spacific. What things do you want in an email? Lots of extra stuff? Then yahoo is the way to go. Or do you just want a nice control pannel and POP3? Gmail or MSN. If you wan't free then MSN is out (I don't think MSN offers a free version other then hotmail). There are lots of smaller email accounts if you want an un-usual ending (@example.com) and some places you can get it personalized (@skalman.com or something just as long as none else has it. But you may need to pay to get it).Hope this helps,Sparkx

I would say that for an email client, try out for free Mozilla Thunderbird to read your emails from any of the service providers that support SMTP or POP3 mails. I currently use Microsoft Outlook and Thunderbird, and even though Thunderbird is less fancy, it works better... Now what I think you're talking about is what email provider to use. Personally, I like to use gmail as my free service provider for emails. I have a hotmail account that's filled with spam, and my yahoo account has expired. But at least with gmail you know what you're getting...I think that they do collect your information though, to help with their advertising. Not 100% sure what type of information they collect, but it's not a biggie with me. Good luck with your choice! - Trinifawk

My choice for Email Service Provider is GMail...I have a Yahoo account but I only used it on messenger.For the Email Client, I would rather suggest you use Mozilla Thunderbird.

Personally I use the Opera mail client. Besides very good, it is also within the browser I use the most. So I don't have to go different sites to get my emails.Check it out at opera.com

Ouch! There is a discrepancy between the starter topic title and it's content.The title concerns the email client. Thunderbird is an email client, avgust seems to say that he uses the email client embeded inside Opera.The topic content talks about msn or gmail, which is are mail providers. You can use gmail with several clients, including the clientless webmail access.

I've been a yahoo user for most of my life. I've recently started using gmail because yahoo doesn't support POP forwarding. I noticed that yahoo allows POP forwarding for the accounts with a co.uk extension but not a .com extension