xisto Community
turbopowerdmaxsteel

Unofficial Astahosted Members Directory

I wanted to grab a look at how the other members' sites looked. Searching through the forums is good enough to retrieve the address of their websites. However, quite a few of the links are dead.

So, I decided to make a script to do this job for me. Here's a screenshot of the directory listing process.

Posted Image

Xisto Directory Lister

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)

Very interesting, I'm wondering how it works though? I just notice that it found 108 members when I went to the site, although that can't be them all since I'm not on the list :ph34r: But yea it's pretty cool and would be useful for people trying to actually explore the world of asta

Basically, it simulates browser activity, navigates through the forums and grabs the names of the members along with the site address. Not all of the Hosting requests are properly structured and moved to the APPROVED ACCOUNTS forum. As a result, many users are not listed. In your case, the approved request does not exists under the approved accounts forum.

Another technique I employed was to get the list of all the hosted members through the memberlist panel and look for their account request posts. Actually, that was the prototype to the current directory listing process. It can be accessed at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Very nice. I see you have me on it :ph34r: Too bad some of the urls don't work and even still not .astahost.com urls. I should put an index page on my site so I could get hits off of this list lol. Very good program in my opinion. It will come in useful some time I am sure. Im looking forward to the perfected version.Thanks,Sparkx

astahost webhosting is great. I wonder how could i include my site in the list?I tried submitting my site to google for them to index it and i think that it wouldtake for a long time before they can index my site. is there any way to buildtraffic into my site?

I wanted to grab a look at how the other members' sites looked. Searching through the forums is good enough to retrieve the address of their websites. However, quite a few of the links are dead.

So, I decided to make a script to do this job for me. Here's a screenshot of the directory listing process.

Nice job my friend, congrats.

I have two questions:

When you are not logged to the forum the script seems to not work, is it is a bug or the script only works when you are logged in for security reasons???

Tell me the progress bar that you implement is made with ajax or in pure php???

I have one suggestion: Add some text to the status image by using the ALT or TITLE attribute, better if you choose both of them.

Best regards,

Thanks for the feedback.

When you are not logged to the forum the script seems to not work, is it is a bug or the script only works when you are logged in for security reasons???

It is not necessary for me to be logged in to the forum. The script seems to hang once in a while because of relying heavily on Java Script.

Tell me the progress bar that you implement is made with Ajax or in pure Php???

Pure HTML, I should say.

I have one suggestion: Add some text to the status image by using the ALT or TITLE attribute, better if you choose both of them.

I'll make sure to do that.

Very interesting work dude!!

Good use of Ajax Technology!

Its interesting to see checking the accounts and site status dynamically!!

But, For me, its showing as site not working!

But I can able to open my site!

All the best for your works!

Thanks,

Niru

:ph34r:

The script has now been updated with the following changes:-

> Added new technique to search for hosted members.
> Validates link address and only shows the links if the link appears valid.
> Patched Non Internet Explorer browser bug - Non IE Browser will show site status as text instead of the Green and Red images.
> Improved Overall Speed of operation.

View Script

Wow, I really like it, checking out the new changes now. And don't worry I didn't hold it against it that I wasn't on it, was just curious which method you were making use of :ph34r: But yes the technology is very cool indeed. once you get it to a stage where you feel it is "complete" (I know we all have different stages of development that we feel our own creations are done heh) you could probably show it to M^E or OpaQue and see if they're interested in throwing it somewhere on the site. It'd be a cool feature to have especially for new prospective users interested in seeing what Xisto offers thus far.Again, great idea and great job.

I've got to attribute it all to a software named Webshots Photo Downloader which could be used to automate the process of downloading wallpapers from the Webshots gallery. Even though a bit buggy, that software to me was really revolutionary with its Web Browser simulation technique. It was built in VB and I tried to decompile it inorder to overcome its shortcomings. Although, all I managed to get was the code for the user interface. Despite failing, I did have a vague idea of its working and I managed to create the Webshots Photo Downloader of my own.

Since, then I have created a number of such applications, including the Photo Downloader and the Topic Signature script (currently in alpha) which I've used to generate my signature image, based on the same browser simulation technique.

Next, I plan to make a software that would allow users to automate such processes without having to write codes.

I did show it to m^e who was quite impressed. But, I don't know if they would want the script to be put on the site; not when they can do the job with greater ease and lesser problems, by directly accessing the forum database. :ph34r:

Haha true, I was thinking it might have a cool community boosting feel to have an app designed by a regular forum goer on the site itself :ph34r: But yea, I'm sure they would have access to some things allowing a bit more efficient system.

The script has now been updated with the following changes:-
> Added new technique to search for hosted members.
> Validates link address and only shows the links if the link appears valid.
> Patched Non Internet Explorer browser bug - Non IE Browser will show site status as text instead of the Green and Red images.
> Improved Overall Speed of operation.

View Script

Your improvements are very good, again congrats.

BTW, i have a PHP/Javascript Progress bar that i modify that works very fine, if you wish send me a PM to send you back.

I forgot, i download your Photodownloader and MD5 applications and i found them very helpful, the only thing that i dont like about the MD5 application is that it doesnt have a option to verify for only one fine, for example, for situations like downloading files for pages that show a MD5 signature, or maybe i dont use it correctly.

Best regards,
Edited by TavoxPeru (see edit history)

Congratulations! Thats some great work you've got there! I have a few ideas that you may be able to implement if you wanted.You could run the script and store the results into a database. Then using that info, create search forms, so people can choose who they want to search for etc etc. Just an idea though!Well Done-jimmy

I forgot, i download your Photodownloader and MD5 applications and i found them very helpful, the only thing that i dont like about the MD5 application is that it doesnt have a option to verify for only one fine, for example, for situations like downloading files for pages that show a MD5 signature, or maybe i dont use it correctly.

Just patched the version to suite your needs. You can get it from
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

You could run the script and store the results into a database. Then using that info, create search forms, so people can choose who they want to search for etc etc. Just an idea though!

Thanx, Nice Idea. I'll try to implement it.