xisto Community
turbopowerdmaxsteel

Unofficial Astahosted Members Directory

Just patched the version to suite your needs. You can get it fromhttp://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Thanx, Nice Idea. I'll try to implement it.

Thanks, i just get it, and shortly i will PM you for the PHP file.

Best regards,

Oh man that is awesome! :)Wow 663 sites...a lot. I can't believe, though, that most of them are offline. :ph34r: My site is 104th (with nothing on it hehe). May I ask what determines the rank/order of a site?

The list shows all of the members that were ever approved at Xisto. Most of the old members have abandoned the ship and their hosted sites are all but dead. There is no specific order in which the sites are listed. It all depends on which posting request topic comes first in the forum. Your site is discovered in the second pass because of the topic not being under Approved Requests, that is why you are a bit down the list.

While making the Xisto directory, I have come across better methods to determine the hosted members and their sites. Once I am done with it, I'll employ the technique to this one too. I'll also try to include options such as member/site filtering, sorting, etc.

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)

Interesting scripted indeed, this could be very benifical especially when people are looking for website affiliates to do link exchange with and also see what other members websites looks like. If I caught the post right you said this was all javascript or did you set up some ajax to handle the searching? Do you planned to set up a cache to this script so someone doesn't have to rebuild the directory everytime they come to the site? Another interesting idea I have is during the verification of the links how about if they are green they get pushed to the top of the top of the list and the ones that are not verfied start from the last verified site. SHould be interesting what the trap one will look like.Also Has OpaQue Seen this script at all, I think he could put a good use to it on the SEO site that he has set up already.

Actual Searching is based on PHP while AJAX has been used to make the process more interactive and to ensure that a single search cycle does not exceed the maximum time execution limit of PHP.Yes, I do plan to implement a cache but not before the accuracy of the site searcher gets close to ~70%. Most of the old posts back at Xisto were not based on the now so familiar Web Hosting Application form. Getting the information from those posts is really difficult as there isn't much of a regularity. I'm trying to extract as many sites as possible.Moving the working sites to the top is a really good idea. I had also planned to show the page ranks of the stes. The Xisto directory would look more or less the same except for the sheer number of sites hosted over there.I don't believe OpaQue has seen the script. Although m^e did and was really impressed, but that was about it. Lets see what everybody has to say once the Xisto version is released.

How about this would it be possible to set up a function in which you uses the member search function and lock it on to hosting members? I think it would bump the accuracy just a bit if you connect that db with the request applications to those who are hosted and if it possible that would cut the invalid links out. Of course the only problem I see with that is that you would leave out the mods and admins of the forum since they are in seperate groups from everyone else.Well since the alexa and PR are based on php scripts I don't think it would be to hard to implment those into the script or you referring to when someone clicks on that link in the directory then they will get some of boost?

Beautiful. Just beautiful. I like the way you handled this task, even though it seems almost impossible, or at least very hard. If Xisto had a reputation system, yours would hit the ceiling just about now :)

Why not take the directory one step further, and check the member group along with the hosting request? It might, however, cause problems when you encounter a moderator/administrators, since it wouldn't state Group: [Hosted], but Group: [Moderator] or Group: [Administrator]. Think about it a bit :P

Also, my site appeared twice. Why? Because there were two application :ph34r: I know this is hard to avoid without losing the dynamic site of the directory, but displaying one site per user name is obviously a better way.

Using the member search function was the first technique I tried.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

You would notice that this process, though accurate is extremely slow because of having to wait for the search flood time out. Besides, few members said that their site wasn't listed at all, perhaps due to being a moderator. But you are right, using a combination of the member list and the hosting application would be a much better approach.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll work on it right away.

wow that is extremely slow doing it that way, but what pyost mention does make sense but how about in addition to, if a hosting application appears more then once for that member check the dates and use the current one as the current link. Because it's most likely that url would be the most current one out of the group of applications for that member. We know one of the current issues with the script is the time it takes to upload the links, I say you would have to go either flatfile or MySQL db to store the urls for quicker upload upon a user updating the directory after the first run through. So that would mean you would need to add a if statement into the php script that would follow that in some way in order for a quicker time.Ok so I am making this project more complicated then it should be :ph34r:.

Ok so I am making this project more complicated then it should be .

You sure are :ph34r:

I have one question to ask. Do the admins have a Hosting request topic or is it that their hosting is enabled by deault (i.e all of them are hosted)? If so, then how can I find their Websites?
Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)

Well I have to say that this is a nice script...however it would definitely be better if it was a little faster at loading...Maybe Xisto should consider having some sort of official list? One that'll load instantly because it just gets the info out of a database?Because that would be really nice...Anyhow, great work on the script, it is very nice, and is a great start, as I am sure that you'll work on improving it more and more...