xisto Community
Silent Echoes

Best Distro? What is it?

What's the best Distro?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hm. I've never heard of LinuxMint until now. Is there a specific reason why you switched from Ubuntu? I personally find it convenient to use. The Gnome interface provides a comfortable UI where I can perform most if not all of my tasks.

Maybe Linux Mint is a bit faster.Ubuntu seems to have become pretty big and a bit slow compared to some other operating systems like Windows 7 and some very fast Linux distributions.

Other reasons can be more personal. A reason to use a certain distribution and a specific operating system can be like a preference for the colour of the interface and the easiness of the use of the interface and the menu.
Edited by zenia (see edit history)

Hm. I've never heard of LinuxMint until now. Is there a specific reason why you switched from Ubuntu?

Hmnnnn..! Try to see this link :
https://www.linuxmint.com/
Well for me, I just switched to Ubuntu because I'm tired of fixing PC's infected with viruses. And the fact that it's absolutely free... :)

Maybe Linux Mint is a bit faster.

Yes it is...I've tried using it and found it's a bit faster than Ubuntu. By the way, Linux Mint is also based on Ubuntu. Edited by ysNoi (see edit history)

Why isn't Gentoo included in such posts? :PI use it and love it. Works like a charm, even though not very suitable for new users.My workspace is Gentoo + KDE4.Already tried a lot of other distros, Ubuntu is too 'user-friendly' for me, I like messing with the shell and such. Mint is actually like Debian. Pretty fast.Also tried RHEL - rock-solid and very stable (you get what you pay for), but way too hardened for me. CentOS seems like a good free replacement, didn't notice any major differences really.I must say, I tried a lot of distros, just in a bit of hurry now so don't have the time to explain.

Edited by Qrntz (see edit history)

Why isn't Gentoo included in such posts?

Well that way this poll become 10+ option long. So i guess OP added 'other' option at the end of the post. You can still comment based on other category though. That is fine if i'm not wrong.

I used gentoo in 2008 if i remember correctly. The version that i used was from VMWare virtual machine so there wasn't much fun i had as installation took some time. Even worst internet connection setup also took more time than i thought it could take. Like you even i used too many distros and finally decided to get one for my needs in order to stop getting lost and confused in the world of linux. It's not even worth wasting that much time though.

By the way why you reverted back from linux mint ? anything that annoyed you ? or you didn't like the way distro offered to you ?. I rarely see anyone moving away from either ubuntu or mint. Mint is small and less resource hungry so was curious to know why you switched back to maverick.

Ubuntu tend to have a more prompt responses through their online Community Forum than most other Linux Desktop Distro forums...

This means that Ubuntu users have more problems than other distro's users ? :D

No. I guess it was because of their Free CD and spread it forward culture. I have seen that there are groups which are spreading the linux CDs, from ubuntu, canonical. So mostly this is because of the sharing culture.That is not all. Check the forums for ubuntu, they allow you to vent and be respectful at the same time. I have seen some nice debate threads without attacks. Ubuntu users also reply with care and with the same attitude towards their own questions, so that makes it more friendly.Problems exist for almost every platform and being a debian branch, these problems are stacked per distro level. But I know it is because of sharing culture and friendly community.

No. I guess it was because of their Free CD and spread it forward culture. I have seen that there are groups which are spreading the linux CDs, from ubuntu, canonical. So mostly this is because of the sharing culture.
That is not all. Check the forums for ubuntu, they allow you to vent and be respectful at the same time. I have seen some nice debate threads without attacks. Ubuntu users also reply with care and with the same attitude towards their own questions, so that makes it more friendly.

Problems exist for almost every platform and being a debian branch, these problems are stacked per distro level. But I know it is because of sharing culture and friendly community.

its also just a great Distro... so many other Distributions are based on Ubuntu (Mint, ElementaryOS, SimplyMEPIS etc) so this means Ubuntu users together with Ubuntu based Distribution users makes up quite a number...