xisto Community
Silent Echoes

Best Distro? What is it?

What's the best Distro?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My "best distro" choice depends on how much time I have to maintain it...for example, on my desktop machine at home, I have Gentoo...since I need bleeding edge with a perfect development toolchain and I have time to maintain and upgrade a source-based distro. At work, I use Fedora Core 6, since I really don't have time to maintain it like I do with Gentoo...and I need stability so I can get some work done on it rather than getting work done to it. For my router, I use debian...it's stable as ****, and I don't want to worry about it...at all. My laptops run XP/FC6 dual boot since I need them to be updating really quickly ;)

I Really Never Even Notice The Difference ;] As Long As Its In English, Fast, And Has Adobe/Shockwave On It + Internet Access,I Basically Come Online To Play RPGs ;]I Also Really Like Macs For Their XXL Screens And High GraphicsI Really Love That Supercool Glossy Look And That AWESOME BLUE And Silver/White Coloring ;]Im A Neat Freek So I Like White And Black And Silver And Really Light Colors...Anyway I Should Just Shut Up Now Cuz I Can Type On And On Forever ;]ROFL,

I run, Fedora Core 4, and Ubuntu Feisty Fawn. And Ubuntu is just so pretty its hard to pass up on, ya know!? And im one for the eye candy. And Im also trying to learn some of the realy hardcore extreme uber stuff with fedora core so yeah, I realy like Ubuntu, and many other people recommend it!

I find Fedora to be the best distro.I personally can't wait for Fedora 7 to come out soon.I use Fedora alot and find it better than the other distros.

The only Linux distro I've personally tried using is Ubuntu and, quite frankly, I have no need to try out any others. It detected all my hardware (including my printer) without having to download additional drivers and it does everything I want it to. Some things can be a pain but being virus and anti-virus free more than makes up for those little snags.

This totally depends on your personal preferences and skill level. It's like wine, drink what you like.I'm a slacker for serious stuff, use *buntu on my desktop and one of my laptops. Didn't give OpenSUSE enough of a chance and rolled my own BSD and LOVED them all.

So, what does everyone reckon the best distro is? I reckon Mandriva, because it's easy and English. But SUSE has more stuff!! What do you think everyone?

mandriva can be installed in 15 min with everything u need and settin up network... its more easy than windows with mindblowing FX(Beryl, etc) that Vista can dream of...
i am workin with linux cca 7 years but this distro is most easy to install/maintain...

"I reckon..." Debian(pure) because:

- is solid like a rock

- is stable

- its "3 levels of game": stable, testing, sid

- apt is the only think you have to know to start rocking on!!!

- if apt isn't enough, play with aptitude

- great community

- etc, etc

Blessings!!

I believe that best distro is fedora Core although also ubuntu does not remain of side that has excelled years in the last, debian by nature one of the best ones and betting by the new thing would say that arch, but as single a vote is allowed, then it will vote by Fedora

I'm currently running Ubuntu and I've been very happy with it. And for people who want to brand Ubuntu as n00b Linux, I'd like to say that there are many of us IT pros who just like the simplicity.
Previously I've used Red Hat, Mandrake and Debian and I don't really have bad things to say about any of them.

Hi, I've used lots of Linux OS'es in my computers. The best one I had is Ubuntu, fare play but it runs on beans with KDE (433MHz P3, 128RAM). With Ubuntu, it is easy to use and got lots of good games (because of Debian). If you're new or old to Linux, use Ubuntu.

Note: the version 7.10 of ubuntu is on their site

xxxx-Jozh-xxxx

Gentoo for my desktop, because I like the flexibility it offers, and somehow I never liked the package manager of other distros.For servers, especially web servers I prefer using FreeBSD. It's more stable, faster and I also find it's package manager to be better than those of linux distros.

I'll stick on slackware. I install linux mostly because I need to experiment with it or focus on its facilities/capabilities. And I rarely need its GUI features.I know that installation of slackware maybe a bit difficult, but I do love it, I can choose to see every process of the installation or just make it automatically (and drink a glass of coffee B) ).My favourite installation method is umsdos method (using zipslack). And by the way, it doesn't need big ram to have slackware on my machine.And... why no one votes for "I'm a sucker I use winblows" ? I want to vote for that option too because I also use microsoft products, but it's impossible to vote twice :rolleyes: