xisto Community
Silent Echoes

Best Distro? What is it?

What's the best Distro?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, what does everyone reckon the best distro is? I reckon Mandriva, because it's easy and English. But SUSE has more stuff!! What do you think everyone?

CentOS on servers, Fedora - desktop.
In general questions isn't correct. There isn't silver bullet in OS field, every distro have it's own niche.

I personally think that the best dsitros are Arch Linux and Gentoo and Kubuntu/Ubuntu for people who doesn't know anything about Linux. :)

I chose SuSE Linux because of its ease of use and powerful tools for professionals, zipped in one package.Furthermore, I pinned the post since there are a couple of related posts and we don't want the exact same question asked later.xboxrulz

I have to go Ubuntu and Kubuntu as they are the only ones I have used (I know they are pretty much the same, the only difference being Desktop Environment). I would like to try Fedora but the download is so darn big!

SuSE. Im gonna upgrade to 10.2 when its out. I like how WiFi works and my videocard right of the box. My only complaint is my soudcard. I had to go to edit. (Not actually change anything, but just open up the edit window). If only SuSE had the ability to upgrad the distro like Ubuntu did..

I use linux and windows, I also like linux better but I still need windows for a few reasons alot of my favorite programs only run on windows such as photoshop and flash 8 professional. I use suse linux 10.1 and that is one of the reasons I like linux because its FREE! :P, I also like the security of linux. unfortunatly I am still in a linux class and I only know 20% of linux commands. I give Linux 5 out of 10I give windows 7 out of 10

I'm currently running Ubuntu and I've been very happy with it. And for people who want to brand Ubuntu as n00b Linux, I'd like to say that there are many of us IT pros who just like the simplicity. Previously I've used Red Hat, Mandrake and Debian and I don't really have bad things to say about any of them.

I am still in a linux class and I only know 20% of linux commands.

Don't worry. Linux is like other Unix systems. There are only 400 commands you have to remember. You learn one of them every day. After two years you master all of them. And it's time to restart learning because you changed release and the syntax you learned changed.
I have 20 years experience, so I have no problem saying "I don't know how it works" and I type "man vmstat" in order to learn how to use the vmstat command (which is the Linux command I decided to learn today).

I know that this may sound stupid, but I think it might contribute to the discussion. I am a Windows user for the mere technicality of installing a distro, which has never worked for me, so I can't really say what the best Linux packaging is! Nevertheless, I can say which distribution seems the most promising, which means it has the best public relations: Ubuntu. Most definitely. From what I've heard and seen, I am just so sure that Ubuntu is the best, just like I'm sure I don't like my grandma's spinach casserole without having tasted it. :P I'm sure that their advertising is targeted at Linux newbies like me, and that advanced users will not see it the same way as me, but I hope that I still contributed something to this thread.

I wouldn't say there is a "best" distro of *nix. There's different distros for a reason, as people release them according to specific needs. Of course there are some with more features or ones that are easier to use for beginners. Ubuntu and Gentoo are two of my favourites. Gentoo for more advanced users, and Ubuntu for simplicity and ease.

ive tried ubuntu multiple times. My gripes with is that its GNOME (ya i know theres Kubuntu and Xubuntu...). I wish that you could select which environment to install, and it doesnt play as well with hardware as SuSE. SuSE seems to work with everything i through at it.