xisto Community
MSTR

HOW MANY PARTIONS YOU HAVE ON YOUR HARDRIVE

I have a 120gb HDD with 5 Partitions.A. 3 for Windows XP Pro: -C:system -D:my stuff(mp3,movies,games) -E:my parents stuffB. 2 for Mandrake Linux -system -swap

i have three disks-Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm PATA-C:Systemsystem,programs & downloads-Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm PATA-G:Gamesgames...and other-Maxtor 160GB 7200rpm SATA-D:Temamy stuff,mp3,divx,dvd,pictures,clips..-F:Otherfamily picturs...and otherso i have three disks and 4 partitions..and i have only one OS installed..WinXP MC 2005 on C:System

I have a 80GB maxtor hard drive, and it is separated in two partitions (c,d), C contains windows, main programs, drivers etc. The D partition contains important data, music, videos, pics, projects, etc. If anything would go wrong (and, thank God it didn't), I would simply format the C drive, reinstall windows and some programs, and that's it!The C partition has 15gb of space, and the D partition 65GB of space.All of theese partitions are using the NTFS filesystem because they support files larger than 4GB (i think?), and I am doing some video editing. When I end up with a huge uncompressed AVI file on my HDD, it pays off to use NTFS.

My comp came with 3 partitionsI still have it that wayThe C is for the OS 120 GBThe D is for backup 90 GBThe E for recovery 10 GB

I have four. One for different software programs, another for my mediocre creations, one for my school projects and another for games. Roughly around 10GB per partition. :D

Pays to do it before XP is installedMay i ask, how to you do it before an OS is installed?I have got a new Hardrive, which i was thinking of partioning (theres nothing on hardrive yet, haven't installed it etc) and i was thinking of installing WInXp on it, but how to you partion it b4 hand?Also, when you partion drives (i've never done it) does it make your pc have "virtual drives" (eg, i partion it into 3 drives, 10gb, 10gb, & 20gb) when i go into My computer afterwards, would there be C drive 10gb, D drive 10gb, E drive 20gb etc)Also, if i install the OS on on the the partions, can it freely use the other partins? (say i wanna install a game, can i choose to install it on a differerent partion)also, if you wanna format 1 partion, can you do this without stuffing up the files on other partions?thanks