xisto Community
MSTR

HOW MANY PARTIONS YOU HAVE ON YOUR HARDRIVE

I have two, one about 6 GB with root, or better to say with Mandrake linux system, and other is /home about 24 GB, I use her for everything from music to software :D

No, because a partition would imply division.? I'm old school, I don't consider it a partition unless there are more than one.? I'm just used to the days where you need to have partition magic to create partitions rather than doing it through the windows install disk.

Uh, no... it's still a partition. A disk is virtually unusable by the average user if it has not been partitioned at all.

Even if a disk only has a single partition, it is still divided - you cannot partition every single byte of space on a disk, so a primary partition still leaves some over, hence making it a partition.

And if you look under the definition that you provided it says:

Computer Science. A section of storage space on a hard disk.

Anyway, it's better to have multiple disks rather than partitions where possible. Seperate partitions on the same disk that act as virtual drives still use the same physical disk, hence increasing its work load and still wearing on the heads.

I have 3 on my desktop computer, its running linux so one is for the boot, two is for etc and the rest is for homeon my laptop I have 2 one for winxp and the other for data.Its always good to have an extra partition for your data, since a virus can't copy itself onto another partiton.

For windows, i always set 2 partition minimum. C-for system and application and D,E...-for data, including email data.I also create ghost-image system partition © and put it on D or E...For Linux, i usually make separate partition for usr, homr, var and root (/)

DiskDRAKE is BETTER than Partition Magic 8...there is NO question about it...

Well I would like it is like that but it's not...