xisto Community
ELTan

Opera Opera vs IE vs Firefox

Opera is the best in my opinion. I noticed a slowdown with firefox when I was filling out forms, so I have been with Opera for a long time now. The wand feature is really hard to leave too B) One downfall is that activex isn't being used in Opera, so I put a custom button in to allow me to view any webpage in IE when needed. Here's a link to read about how put some custom buttons in: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Here's a link that shows Opera is the best speedwise: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

I just got Opera last week, I'm not really sure which is better in my opinion. There are some times I feel like using Firefox, since it has more addons available, but Opera has its advantages too. I don't like Opera's wand thing though since I don't like to have my different passwords all together like that, I just remember them.

There should be an option in Opera to disable that remember password feature. A lot of these browsers put that feature in (including Firefox) so users don't have to remember a thousand passwords for all the sites they visit B)I also find that each has their own advantage. Been switching back and forth between these two browsers (Firefox and Opera) over the past few years. I'm a "dual browser" user LOL

I only use Firefox. All sites I make are for Firefox. I really don't like IE much and Opera doesn't do all that much for me either. Although the download box in version 2 is a bit stuffy I still like the way it has one unlike IE where it just has the box to show how much has downloaded.

i'm currently using mozilla firefox, but i so noticed that it doesn't support scrollbar colors for websites... is it me or it's just a limitation of firefox? when designing, i always check my design in both browsers because some alignments and designs made are rigthly done in IE, less in mozilla firefox...i haven't really tried Opera because in most shops i go and also my friends', they just use either of the two.. IE or firefox

Edited by xiangqin (see edit history)

The only things better in FF than Opera, are the range of plugins (they take two minutes and no knowledge in Opera), and how you get it (When I debate with friends, open source seems to outrank everything, which makes no sense).FF is pretty bad, worse than IE6 in areas. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ In every debate I've had, no-ones found anything near that for Opera. And its all true.

I Like FireFox Alot Better Because You Can Customize tons of stuff in the bar, below the back and forward arrows. I Don't Like Internet Explore Though Because You Go On Some Sites And They Give You Viruses, And For Opera, I've Never Used It Before. Although I Did Use It On My Wii. But It Doesn't Have The Same Features As In The PC Version.

Edited by Steven9088 (see edit history)

All features aside, you guys have touched on nearly all of em hehehe...

I personally use Firefox but have the 3 bigs, FF2 IE7 and OP9, at my disposal for testing. As a hobbyist developer I couldn't be happier with how closely these modern browsers actually are to each other. With css designing being all the rage, as it should be, the main three contenders are quite accurate when rendering pages but there are some limits and disagreements between them.

One of the latest things I've been toying with are adjacent selectors (written in css as... #name + div { value } ) allows you to assign properties to underlying elements. IE7 definitely honors these but has a minor hiccup determining what is actually an "adjacent" element. The problem I've had arises when there is a nested div inside #name. I'm not 100% sure if IE7 simply looks for the next instance of a <div> or not, but thats the results I seem to be getting.

IE7 will also not generate content with ":before" and ":after" pseudo classes, they are simply ignored. :blink:

The ":hover" pseudo class is probably the coolest thing to come across for web design because it kills a LOT of need for javascript ( "onmouseover" anyone? ). Opera9 is quite the picky browser though hehehe... I have a case where hovering the child of an element does not hold the effect of hovering the element itself. Wether or not this is the exact case, opera definitely disagrees with FF2 and IE7

Weird, far out, lame examples, minor nuances, I know...

I've been experimenting with a page recently that has brought up these issues and I'll have it on my Xisto page pretty soon http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/... But i'm sure whatever browser you're not designing in is where your own issues will show up.

I Like FireFox Alot Better Because You Can Customize tons of stuff in the bar, below the back and forward arrows. I Don't Like Internet Explore Though Because You Go On Some Sites And They Give You Viruses, And For Opera, I've Never Used It Before. Although I Did Use It On My Wii. But It Doesn't Have The Same Features As In The PC Version.

I Think You've Missed Your First Year At School :D . Capitals are only to be use at the beginning of a sentence and for names ... NOT FOR EVERY WORD, because that's annoying. It's a bit different in German, I know, but even they don't use capitals for every word :blink: .