xisto Community
ELTan

Opera Opera vs IE vs Firefox

I got this message when I tried to view that linked picture:

The image “http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I use firefox the most, but I do also use Opera. I just wish that Opera would give in and allow extensions. The current widgets just don't do anything for me.I use firefox extensions every day when working. They make me more productive and just speed up my work flow. I feel deprived in a browser without them. Opera has some great features, but without those extensions it can't be my number one browser. Opera has a nicer interface and I just sort of which that I could use it more often.

i dont like opera that much. I use IE myself, but I dont have much against Firefox. Opera however is a bit out of my taste. There are many foreign fonts that Opera don't support so some webpages don't appear properly. At least they didn't when I stopped using Opera. Firefox is a better choice for those who want to quit IE because of safety. However it has been said that there are appearing exploits on firefox now and not only IE

The niche Opera explored has given Opera it's cutting edge: mobile browsers. PDA's, cellphones, smartphones, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, etc... sport the Opera browser. They've been able to increase it's market share that way. However, Internet Explorer still covers about 85% of the market share, and the biggest other competitor is Firefox with about 12%. Those numbers were from just after the FF 2 release, and prognoses said that FireFox' continuous grow would halt and stabilize.The thing with Opera is that used to have a nag feature, unless you paid for it, if I'm right? They removed it not so long ago and Opera may have had boasted the most advanced feature, it would never be able to overtake FireFox that way.Above that, it eliminates the "community" and fanboys effect that FireFox has. Mozilla actually grew out of an opensource project after Internet Explorer "beat" Netscape Navigator in the Browser Wars. Andreesen, founder of Netscape, therefore released his source code, codenamed Mozilla. Netscape got bought up, Mozilla become independent (therefore, Mozilla foundation) and soon enough a spin-off from the Mozilla 1.0 suite was released, called FireFox. By this time, it had gained a massive community of developers and coders which is what made FireFox to what it is now, as opposed to Opera which took the cheap way of paying up for a browser. I think it was Andreesen or Tim B. Lee that said that browser are by and for the surfers. Opera tried to get that crowd as well, and had it's widgets and the like, but little too late. On the other hand, technologies that Opera has developed for it's mobile browsers are being successfully ported to regular browsers, such as mouse gestures, which would prove useful to innovate browsers.A short note on the fact which is best able to represent strict W3C validated codes, Safari takes the cake here. W3C latest evaluation gave it's Safari highest grades. Opera and FF are about on the same frequency. Limping behind, as always, is Internet Explorer, which focus is to patch and fix it's lazy code.In fact, I have a presentation to give about browsers today, in college, the above is a really short conclusion, heh.

I use opera simply because it has no popups and everything uses tabs. It is a lifesave when you are making a website (3 tabs open), Posting in forums (5 tabs) and using google (3 tabs). Now, all you see is ... but its good because it also shows the icon for pages, which makes Opera ideal for me. One thing I did not like was that you can't (or its hard to) add google toolbar. Anouther thing is shift + i disables images, it should have been ctrl + i. These are small compaired to the crashing of both Internet explorer 7 and Mizilla Firefox. It doesn't scan every page so its faster then Netscape. Thats my opinion,Sparkx

I dont know what is the situation there with you guys on your area but on mine, and in with the people with connection with me. The main reason why we dont discuss Opera vs IE is for the smal fact that when it displays in Opera, it displays in Firefox and was a mess sometimes in IE.Most of the time IE can render the page more clearly and perfectly on the point of view of IE developers but totally messed up on the other engines. Avant and Aol browsers uses IE as engine and even shares session variables or cookies at some point of the time which sucks. I still love Gecko with Netscape and Firefox, Mozilla.. They dont share anything on my machine.------I use firefox and disregards Opera not because Opera is bad, In fact Opera is also good like firefox but why would I need the full browser when I can use Opera Plugin for Firefox. In fact I uninstalled my IE and only uses the IE tab plugin for firefox and things works well.I can have firefox, Opera and IE in one browser not in 3 separated programs.------ Firefox rocks, IE sucks.. Opera is good ---

i read the forum, i get a lot people discuss IE vs Firefox. i wonder why nobody mentioned about Opera?personally i being the user of the 3 browser listed above and would like to share my opinion to all members about Opera.

IE is my first using broswer after netscape navigator. i really impress by IE stablity and speed compare with netscape. therefore i being using it for more than 5 years.

After IE i try firefox for few month after get it information on newspaper, i download it immediately and try it. well ... it is much more stable than IE but i cant feel it provide me the speed faster than IE.

Now i would to recomend Opera, i being using it for more than one year. now even i install 3 browser in my computer but i just using OPERA. the main reason is like below:

1. Opera is the 1st browser which support Tabbed browsing, where i can Surf the Web easier and faster by opening multiple Web pages within the same application window.

2. It build in Pop-up blocking. Opera lets you control whether to block all pop-ups, or open only the ones that you have requested.

3. It intergrated with google search.

4.BitTorrent, You don't need a separate BitTorrent application to download large files. Simply click a torrent link and start the download.

5.Thumbnail preview....It is easy to have many tabs open at once in Opera. But exactly which tab had that video you wanted? Hover your mouse on any tab to see a thumbnail preview.

6.Zoom the contents of any Web page from 20%-1000% using the zoom dropdown or the + and - keys.

7. It provide me the speed...i feel my computer never lag when i using Opera compare iwith the other 2 browser.

8.It never go crash so frequently compare with IE

9. The best ting i like is it can save the seasons i use the opera, so everytime i open opera i can go to the previous pages automatically....even i open 10 tab before...therefore i no need to re-type the address...just like my Xisto forum will always at one of my tab once i open opera.

The point i listed up above just some point i feel great as i am an ultimate end user. howerver i not so good in tecnical aspect.

i hope u can have a try at http://www.opera.com/

I'd like to disagree with you, I too have the three browsers. But I must say out of the three, Firefox is the best. Its page loading speed is faster than Opera. Plus, Opera causes errors that won't occur in Firefox. Opera's skin is too shiny for me (just my opinion).

I read a thread once that stated that Opera was faster than Firefox. So I gave it a try, turns out Opera loaded the contents piece by piece (like Firefox) but it was slightly slower. Even though it's difference is slight, why not choose the faster one anyway?

Whee! I'm using Opera to read about Opera! XD

Long ago, I started using IE, but quickly switched over to Firefox when I learnt about it. I quickly became a die-hard fan of Firefox due to the wide variety of default features and add-ons I could download. For once, I could make my browser how I wanted it to look like!

But then Firefox 2 came out. I downloaded it two months after it was officially released. After using it for a while, I realized that my computer lagged a lot. There were memory leaks before too, but in Firefox 2, it just seemed more apparent on my computer. It used 80,000 K on average each time, and with all the other programs I have running, it didn't take much more to slow down my computer to a crawl. That was when I switched to Opera.

It's become pretty much my default browser now, but I can't say I don't miss Firefox. Opera seems a bit more "un-user-friendly" - it's harder to learn and utilize all the features it has and some sites just don't support Opera, forcing me to fall back on the memory-hogging Firefox. But then there are a few features that have become vital to my browsing, including mouse gestures (I even downloaded an extension to have the same feature in Firefox) and the sidebar. It's much easier to access than the one in Firefox and has a set of icons to allow you to quickly jump from your notes (another great built-in feature) to your transfers.

I'm happy that Opera has gotten rid of their ads, but now it is up to them to make sure that their browser can support sites that currently can't be viewed in Opera. I know - it's the web designer's fault in not making cross-browser sites, but it's not likely they will go the extra mile to make their sites work in a browser that is not known to many people.

Serena

I addition, usually those sites which doesn't work with Opera, isn't useful or it is those sites which is using a lot of ajax and are just checking the user agent to redirect, so spoofing as IE or Mozilla is the way to go, usually everything works.

Ok, I've looked at how much memory each Web browser takes up. Using Xisto.com as the control, I've ended up with these results:Rank 1-4 (1 being the most memory-hog)------------------------------------------------Netscape: 57,288KInternet Explorer: 29,968KFirefox: 24,672KOpera: 23,280KIt turns out that Opera is the browser that least takes up memory.However, I still stand by Firefox being the fastest page loader. But I will still use Opera fo multitasking because of it's memory takeup.