xisto Community
ELTan

Opera Opera vs IE vs Firefox

When i open http://www.tinywarz.com/in it (a site with ALOT of java) and log in most of the java features don't work. I dunno in the game forums they said opera doesn't work with the game because it doesn't support java. I might have misunderstood them or something, maybe they were refering with java use by the game. I dunno, did it always support java or is it a new addition?

It supported java when I started using it and that was 4 versions ago ! It is possible that the layout gets screwed up a bit, but that's usualy not opera's fault. Faulty code gives faulty layouts :mellow: You could try to see if Opera 10 alpha does support your game.http://www.opera.com/computer/beta

Do you have java installed on your system? from sun.com? It supports everything, what it doesn't support is bad coding habits..

Anyway, I just tried Opera 10 Preview and it's really cool, http://acid3.acidtests.org/ passes on 100/100 so I think it'll be a great version of Opera.. but I sometimes just wonder, what the hell they are optimizing that it gets so much faster, javascript? css "engine" :mellow: why couldn't they do that 3 years ago? :]

Do you have java installed on your system? from sun.com? It supports everything, what it doesn't support is bad coding habits..

Anyway, I just tried Opera 10 Preview and it's really cool, http://acid3.acidtests.org/ passes on 100/100 so I think it'll be a great version of Opera.. but I sometimes just wonder, what the hell they are optimizing that it gets so much faster, javascript? css "engine" :mellow: why couldn't they do that 3 years ago? :]

It's a matter of optimizing. First you need to make code that is solid and does everything you want without errors. Then, one step at a time you start to optimize the codes and keep testing for errors.

Supporting instruction sets like MMX/3DNow/SSEx, ... and maybe multiple cores can speed up things too.

Opera is the coolest browser out there. It has incredible speed (and incredible snap back in history because it caches the content of the web-page better than any other browser ever made), it has a M2 client (composing mails in HTML from v.10), an IRC client, Opera Link which syncs your bookmarks with Opera Mini and other Opera browsers on other computers you have, a quick access menu for turning off JS, plugins and other things through F12, separate preferences for different sites, a perfect adblocker - and lots and lots of other hidden and unhidden features you find out while you go through your ways in discovering Opera as the best browser that ever exists.

If you run Linux, Opera should be your only choice because it's the best browser for that platform.

Also... Why the hell are you mentioning IE? It's the worst piece of software that anyone could ever make. Microsoft has outdone themselves in doing this cough...terrible...cough... software.

Edited by miladinoski (see edit history)

Opera is the coolest browser out there. It has incredible speed (and incredible snap back in history because it caches the content of the web-page better than any other browser ever made), it has a M2 client (composing mails in HTML from v.10), an IRC client, Opera Link which syncs your bookmarks with Opera Mini and other Opera browsers on other computers you have, a quick access menu for turning off JS, plugins and other things through F12, separate preferences for different sites, a perfect adblocker - and lots and lots of other hidden and unhidden features you find out while you go through your ways in discovering Opera as the best browser that ever exists.

If you run Linux, Opera should be your only choice because it's the best browser for that platform.

Also... Why the hell are you mentioning IE? It's the worst piece of software that anyone could ever make. Microsoft has outdone themselves in doing this cough...terrible...cough... software.

Firefox runs on linux too and it has a way better support for flash (altough Flash 10 seems to work a hell lot better with Opera compared to the always crashing flash 9) :P .

The thing with Opera is, either you like it or not, you just need to get to know it's powers and for some people it takes too long to find out how powerfull it is (and some people just like the mozilla add-on system with all it's useless add-on's that slow down the software :mellow: )

Firefox runs on linux too and it has a way better support for flash (altough Flash 10 seems to work a hell lot better with Opera compared to the always crashing flash 9) :P .

The thing with Opera is, either you like it or not, you just need to get to know it's powers and for some people it takes too long to find out how powerfull it is (and some people just like the mozilla add-on system with all it's useless add-on's that slow down the software :mellow: )

Of course it has, Opera isn't even in the officially supported browsers in Linux for Flash at Adobe's flash download page.

And yes, most of the addons suck because they just bloat the browser. I overheard a browser fight on a forum once, and the Firefox fanboy said that Opera is too bloated because it includes mail, rss and other things, but he didn't see the download sizes of Opera for Windows (US English lang.) is 6.4 MBs (and includes everything that the ignorant zealous fanboy said) and Firefox for Windows (US English lang.) is 7.2 MBs and you know how low on features Firefox is without its addons. :P:wub::P

Haha, touché . I do like the fact that opera is an all-in-one solution, it might consume more memory, but it definatly useses a lot less memory if you have only standalone apps.

Yeah, my only problem with Opera is the one of two plugins I need, Flash (the other being Java, which is a system wide thing even), about a third of sessions I try to go on youtube, it crashes. Latest version, happens less on Mac so far.Still, Opera ftw. Flash is a netscape plugin (as are most?), which FF is descended from, so Opera's only fault is cos of FF.

Haha, touchĂŠ . I do like the fact that opera is an all-in-one solution, it might consume more memory, but it definatly useses a lot less memory if you have only standalone apps.

Actually Opera consumes less memory than Firefox in my experience on older computers (haven't tried FF on beast machines, they say Chrome is the best there).
Let's not even mention how Thunderbird hogs when it checks for mail.

Yeah, my only problem with Opera is the one of two plugins I need, Flash (the other being Java, which is a system wide thing even), about a third of sessions I try to go on youtube, it crashes. Latest version, happens less on Mac so far.
Still, Opera ftw. Flash is a netscape plugin (as are most?), which FF is descended from, so Opera's only fault is cos of FF.

Opera on Windows or Linux? Why didn't I ever have any problems with Opera flash plugin or java? It never crashed for me on Windows though and always worked..