xisto Community
iGuest

How Long Do You Spend Online

If i total up work and leisure surfing, i would average around 50 hours a week, of which 20 would be leisure. my work entails researching a lot online, plus keeping up websites etc. But if i included how much my computer was online, that would be @ 160 hours a week, or basically 24/7. i'm constantly downloading.

Where i work, im really on the computer all the time, and because the computers is on, im on the Internet. But in terms of surfing the Internet i would have to say only a few hours each day.Its just the usual email and stuff like that. I seen people (and know a few of them) that sped all their time on the Internet. They work with computers, using the internet, then they go home and use the internet more! its crazy!!I cant see how people can use the Internet like that. I know its a huge place and all, but really!! sitting in front of a computer for that long. Its as if they have no better place to be!

I've checked it using the Userhealth program and oOo Calc. The average time is ~3:30, altough this is absolutely incorrect, because in june I had exams, so I hardly spent time online (tough my computer was running and 65% of biology was to be studied using ppt) and the first 2-3 weeks of July I went working.

But I guess it's probably something near 4-4:30 at average. I'll see when I have gathered more data :unsure:

Posted Image

wow! I didn't quite quantify it like this... but certainly from the point I wake up I'm already checking my email. I get to work and I'm constantly online doing random things related to work. I should mention now that I'm not even remotely close to the IT field. I get home... and now I'm leisurely surfing. when I'm firing something up on my barbecue, I often kick back outside while surfing the web. If I had to give it a number, I would say that I'm online at least 10-12 hours a day. Not with 100% of my attention but certainly for that amount of time in a day.

I'm always online except when asleep. I'm an internet addict; but I accept that and can live with that. Actually, I wish to.Sites I visit, communities I post in, chatting, gaming and "work'. Teaching myself now quite some things. I don't think i should be cutting down my online time, but rather do more stuff.

Edited by Alegis (see edit history)

As far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't be worried about where or how many online hours to spend. You don't know how many you have, so you don't know how much of it you're using. The best thing you could do, is ignore it and do what you want.I spent atleast 3 or 4 hours a day online... arguing with people on forums and managing websites...

I am on the internet a lot. My computer is mostly used for internet. I do not play any games on my PC. I use programs like dreamweaver which uses internet, photoshop and fireworks which i make graphics for my sites and other peoples, and other programs that use the internet. I probably spend at least a few hrs like 2-4 hrs a day. I have been busy lately however. My internet in my current house has been having problems which makes it 100 times harder to get on. Whenever someone even turns on the phone my internet freezes for about 5 minutes. The phone company is supposed to fix it, but who knows when haha.

I was really addicted to the I'net during my vacations, when I had a lot of time and a lot less things to do, but now I've got college to attend, and its consequent studies too! Hence, my online timings have dropped to just about an hour or two everyday. Sundays are exceptionals, as ever. But since I'm a student, I don't have much work to do online, and I'm mostly found chatting, or contributing to forums online!

It was nice of wutske to post a graph of his measurements here, showing us how he really is online :) ! Anyway, most of the people out here seem to be well addicted to the Internet (Except that they can live without it, Alegis :D ) and three cheers to their contribution to Xisto! :)

As said before, my online time (and the time I spend behind the computer) is just too high and now I have to pay the price.It started a few weeks ago, pain. I'm probably suffering from what's called RSI, in both wrists :) . Altough it does hurt, it still doesn't stop me from coming online :D . This is something I do suggest to everybody, get some kind of program that forces you to take a break from time to time (I'm now using Workrave, it rocks), I have much less pain and I spend less time behind the pc (should be about 3 hours max) and with my forthcomming studies, I'll probably even spend less leasure time behind this sucker :) .But I do suggest putting it on a USB stick, because I recently tested Vista for a while (without workrave installed) and I did hurt again.Ow, and let's not forget I feel much better when I spend less time behind the computer.

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

As long as I can connect my PC to net.. I stay glued to the Internet.Sometimes I just keep opening Google.And I think I should start posting here all the time cause its benificial too (Cross my fingers).. haven't been hosted yet! :P

I spend approxamintly 2/4's of my life on the computer and online, the other parts are school and skating. That is my life pretty much lol, during those periods I eat sleep and whatnot but other then that its my life. I love computers and internet and wish to work with them my whole life, I have practicly mastered HTML and I own a forum plus MANY other things. Hopefully all this time will lead me somewhere and not have to be used to waste my life.so thats what I say.anybody kind of like me?

Im am practically what seems to be online 24-7. I go to work, and go online to create websites, and thats half of my day, than I go home and go online to check things out as well as do casual searches for information on whats new. I rarely watch tv now a days, and even if I do, I could just watch it on youtube, because shows that I miss I just go there to see it. Man computers and the internet sure is occupying my life more now than it did couple years ago. It seems sometimes that I sorta feel naked without a computer or if I didnt spend at least a couple of hours on the internet each day.Sad, but I guess this is the new evolution of mankind, we depend more on technology. I guess this is how it will be in future years, and maybe even more evolved, because now it seems as though everything is adding an internet feature to it.

Well, I used to spend much more time online working and making stuff with the web.. In that time I learned a lot, but for several years now and especially now when I entered the University I can't spend so much time online or near the computer.. I usually am 4-5 hours online a day or sometimes if I am really busy I only am here for 30 minutes, but still I leave the computer on to be online on irc, skype, messengers and to get emails and stuff.. I wish the old days could be back when I was online for 16 hours a day :POne of my family members wanted to know if Internet is useful, I said yes, but don't get it (He lives outside the capital in his private house, but he isn't quite young) My idea was that You can really live without the Internet, but once you are there for say a month or 4, you can't really live without it anymore.. :SBu in addition, I used to think that people like me can't live without TV, but for a year now I only turn it on for 20 minutes a day and don't care anymore about it, so I think it is possible.. :P

So, would you mind telling me how long do you spend online and how do you use that time effectively?

I really cant tell you. Actually I don't even know. Some days I will be on for 5 minutes and other days I will be on for over an hour. Most the time when I'm online though, my computer is idle and I am away from the keyboard. I would rate my self as a computer freak! But since now I see that some guy died from playing the computer for 50 hours! I say 1 hour a day is still to much for anyone. I will admit I have spent on record about 5 hours on the computer in one day. This is a lot since I am a fast typer and most the things I type about are only a few pages long. I hope no one here has spent more than 5 hours on a computer in one day (unless they get payed for doing it, thats diffrant).