xisto Community
rbf1787

How To Connect Dual/triple Monitor + Advantages Guide on how to install mult. monitors

Connecting 2 monitors and 1 TVHow To Connect Dual/triple Monitor + Advantages

Hi all,

So...I want to connect 2 monitors and 1 tv to my computer. I have a new dell desktop with a decent graphic card(nvidia). I know for a fact that my card can do 2 monitors or 1 monitor and 1 tv but I am unsure if it can do 2 monitors and 1 tv. I'm going to try this tonight.

My question is:

If my card is unable to do 2 monitors and 1 tv; is there a cheat which allows you to do it anyway? Like buying a dvi cable which then splits in to 2 dvi outputs?

I want to be able to do design work on the 2 monitors whils watching series on the tv. So this means I cant use clone setting but I would have to have 3 "extended desktops". I'm afraid I don't know the name of my graphic card other than its from nvidia and I payed extra to get a good one. Is it common for these graphic cards to allow for 3 screens?

Thank you, sorry if I'm not providing enough info to answer the question. 

/Martin

I run karaoke shows on my laptop. I have had no problem hooking up multiple tv's to mylaptop with a "pc to tv adapter" I recently bought a new monitor to use as a my onstage tvut now I can't seem to get the monitor & the tv's at the same time. I have used a "y", but only the monitor works & the tv's have the color bars, but don't display my desk top. Does any one know how I can connect both the tv & the monitor as extended desktop?

Multi displayHow To Connect Dual/triple Monitor + Advantages

I have PC with Xp installed .

I have 4-6 microscopes on the USB port

I want to connect 4-6 monitors to it  display these microscopes

can you advise how I go about it in terms of hardware needed etc.

could you reply on my e mail

thanks for your help

manohar

for multimoniter pc How To Connect Dual/triple Monitor + AdvantagesI want to know how many moniter connect from my p3 cpu for different processPlease tell me about this-reply by Jaydeep

I remember seeing it somewhere that Windows 98 can connect a maximum of 7 monitors if you have the hardware capability, capacity or even money :lol:
I don't think it will maximize productivity by much. A Dell infomercial said that widescreen monitors can improve productivity by up to 37%, because you can tile windows vertically but that should be sufficient. Also, with blazing fast Alt+Tab switching key combinations, you'll soon notice that there is not much difference.

Although the entire process is easy, I don't think it will be necessary for gamers, home users or anyone else, unless you need hardcore 12 windows visible at once.

Although the post from @firefoxrocks is very old, but I think there would still be people with a similar thought, so it is not a bad idea to share my personal experience on the issue. I have been using uni-display mode since forever. As a matter of fact, untile recently, I didn't even know that a computer can handle more than one monitors. And I certainly didn't know that these monitors can be used in an extended way in order to provide a larger workspace.

In my internet life, I am a web developer and content writer. In both these roles, I have to use different tools simultaneously. For instance during developemnt/modification of parts of my website, I have to use a code editor (e.g. Aptana studio) to edit and modify the code, a web browser (e.g. Firefox) to periodically see the actual changes I have made to the website, another browser windows for quick googling of small issues that I am unable to handle, and occasionally some book (PDF) for reference. Now there can be an argument that you can use all of these alternatively on a single display, but the point is that we are talking about increasing productivity (less time required for doing more work) and when you don't have to do clicks again and again just to make a window visible, it does save you a lot of time and hence increases productivity.

So on a single display I would edit some code in aptana studio and then maximize firefox to see what has happened. then I will have to reopen aptana studio to make adjustments and then reopen firefox to see what is going on. The process gets really tiring when you have to make small adjustments (like positioning an object) and check after every little step what you have done. On multiple displays, you would have all the windows already open, ready to be refreshed. The number of clicks is reduced significantly, and not only its easy on the mind, but also time saving.

Similar is the case with content writing. You need a word processor (e.g. word), a browser window for searching stuff quickly, a reference book, and an image editor. Having all of them ready to be used is more productive than making them ready to use one by one alternatively.

So the point is that the idea of multiple displays is not useless and it actually does increase productivity.

So the point is that the idea of multiple displays is not useless and it actually does increase productivity.

The distance to your eyes remains a problem. The most comfortable position for reading a text (a word processor for instance or the result of a web search) is just in front of your nose. Having a second display at your left side and a third one at the right side, all at a correct distance (about 60 centimeters) means that your working table is a circle, and you are in the middle of this circle. Circular tables is not so common, and working on u-table is also not so frequent.

yes, but depending on the type of work you do... two monitors is the norm in a lot of working places now (especially IT), at the Company i work for two 22" LCD monitors is compulsory, only our receptionists have single monitors

The distance to your eyes remains a problem. The most comfortable position for reading a text (a word processor for instance or the result of a web search) is just in front of your nose. Having a second display at your left side and a third one at the right side, all at a correct distance (about 60 centimeters) means that your working table is a circle, and you are in the middle of this circle. Circular tables is not so common, and working on u-table is also not so frequent.

I don't have any personal experience with 3 displays used simultaneously but I do have quite extensive experience with 2 displays. I agree that the most comfortable position for reading text is just in front of your nose but I don't agree with your statement that displays at the left or right side would make the working table a circle or would make reading or working difficult.

From my experience, I can tell that in certain situations two displays are much much better than a single display, especially if you are using a mid-sized laptop which are very common these days. For instance, now at this very moment, I am writing this post in a way that I don't prefer. I am using a single display but I have two firefox windows opened simultaneously aligned side by side to each other. I am using one window for dealing with sms messages that come to my mobile phone (I like to work only on my laptop when I am working on it and at such time using the mobile phone for replies is not what I like). In the second window I am typing this post. I said I don't like this setup because both windows are half visible and every now and then I have to scroll left or right to see the full content, which is quite a pain.

Now compare this difficulty with the difficulty that arises when using two monitors. If I had my second monitor available to me right now, my setup would have been something like this. One window of firefox open on one monitor and the other on the second monitor. Thus I would have been able to view the complete content of both windows at the same time. The only requirement would have been to move my neck or my eyes a bit.

I don't consider this moving of neck or eyes an extra trouble at all because even if you have to view the content on a single screen you might have to move your neck a bit. And with just a little bit more movement, you can have the luxury of seeing the whole picture at once. Which is definitely worth it I think.

I am not sure about 3 display setup, but I didn't have any circular working environment issues with two displays. It was just like my main display was stretched horizontally. Though the movement of neck is increased to view the all the content but as I mentioned earlier, I think it is definitely worth the good things that two displays bring to the table.

it all comes down to personal preference and convenience... I have no problem at all with my Two screens... but now I'm wanting a third monitor so I can play around with Eyefinity from AMD which I think is supported by my HD 7850 video card

Eyefinity is a multiple display solution that AMD releases with some of their recent/latest video cards, which allows for instance my 7850 can run up to 6 displays i think... all can be viewed as one big display chopped into 6 portion

amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/for-consumers/Pages/what-is-eyefinity.aspx

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Wow,Looks like a cool feature for hardcore gamers. But how do you connect 6 monitors to a single graphics card. I mean, are there 6 different display ports?

nope... i think only three ports can be active at once out of the 4 available (2x miniDP, 1x HDMI, 1xDVI-I)... but i think splitters can be used (not too sure)although AMD site states 6 Display

amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7850/Pages/radeon-7850.aspx

In the target page of the link mentioned in your previous post (post # 57), there is the following image which might indicate how 6 simultaneous displays work.

Posted Image

It can be seen clearly in the diagram that there are 6 monitors connected to the Radeon HD 6870 card through two ports. But in contrast to a simple normal connection, there is this device called "MST HUB". This might be the splitter you have mentioned in your post.