xisto Community
rbf1787

How To Connect Dual/triple Monitor + Advantages Guide on how to install mult. monitors

<p>In the target page of the link mentioned in your previous post (post # 57), there is the following image which might indicate how 6 simultaneous displays work.</p><p> </p%3

looking at that link i notice that it only has the 7900 series on the list of 6 display capability... a bit confusing as other link says 6 for 7850 :wacko:

In the target page of the link mentioned in your previous post (post # 57), there is the following image which might indicate how 6 simultaneous displays work.

Posted Image

It can be seen clearly in the diagram that there are 6 monitors connected to the Radeon HD 6870 card through two ports. But in contrast to a simple normal connection, there is this device called "MST HUB". This might be the splitter you have mentioned in your post.

exactly :) will be looking for more monitors to test this feature on my 7850

But what is this MST HUB. Is this device specific for hight end amd graphics cards with eyefinity technology or they would work with other cards (with lower specs) as well.Can you say something about this..

MST Hub is like a splitter (but splitter are passive/duplicate), i think this device requires power so it won't be cheap (i'm guessing)... at the moment i will stick to 3 displays... additional MST Hub(s) seems costly... i'm not sure if they are out yet though

Edited by manuleka (see edit history)

But isn't it true that splitters are supposed to only duplicate the displays... How would you get an extended display while using a splitter...

that's why it isn't exactly a passive splitter (just a cable)... rather this MST Hub requires power, so it must have some kinda processing going on... think of it this way, you can have a network hub and a network switch... a hub on amplifies signal (delivering to all exit interfaces), where as a switch process/scans the signal and re-route them to the right recipient/exit

The VESA DisplayPort 1.2 is the standard and the device shown is a Multi-Stream Transport Hub which should not be referred to as a splitter, which indeed only splits or gives mirror effect. This device does a whole lot more.This hub, is more in the terms of a central box (apparently it's size is big) that handles switching of data from each monitor. It uses similar technology as your ethernet/network, pci express and usb, in which it can deliver multiple streams of data to each monitor (just imagine how networks work). The limitation of this however, is the available bandwidth that can be delivered but they will slowly increase the bandwidth to exceed these limitations (hopefully).There are probably other futuristic ideas that can come from this, not only just monitors, hopefully changes to our networks, etc, but we will have to wait and see.Cheers,MC