xisto Community
rbf1787

How To Connect Dual/triple Monitor + Advantages Guide on how to install mult. monitors

Triple, or quadruple monitors seems a bit much. I use a laptop, and when I'm doing anything related to photography, I switch on an external monitor which works with the lapotop screen to give me more space. I usually maximise a program like GIMP on the external monitor, and also use the external monitor to test how my web design looks at other screen resolutions, which is useful and easier and quicker than changing my screen resolution on my laptop screen.

Hey I too would like to jump on the mulit-monitor band wagon. I am currently using a 27inch Sony TV at 1360x768 with a VGA cable. My question is how does HDMI come into play. Like say if I want to invest in a 32-46" wide screen. What do I look for in a TV. And what would be compatible as far as video cards go. How would I get the best performance across all monitors? Hows does SLI or Crossfire come into play in multi-monitor configurations? Are there any good web sites out there which someone can refer me too>My current usage would be for photo editing (high resolution), photo studio (live camera caputure/display), gaming (graphic performance/response). And maybe video editing once I acquire a video camercorder.

Recently, I bought a computer with an ATI 128MB video card that has 2 ports, 1 DVI and 1 VGA. I was wondering if it was safe to connect 2 monitors to both of the ports. There is also a yellow video out port, but I think that is for plugging in a VCR player.

I have a Radeon 9550 video card which has one analog and one digital output. I bought a second analog monitor (cheaper than digital) so I could double the screen real-estate. All that was required was an adaptor to plug the second analog monitor into the digital plug. The next time Windows 2000 Pro booted up, it noticed the second monitor and asked me to configure it. Basically, Windows wants to know where it is physically located (left, right, top, bottom) and what resolution it should have.

I suggest you give that some thought. My normal configuration is stock market windows on the right (original) screen, and browsers, etc. on the left screen. I use a Zone Alarm firewall. I have it set so programs that want to use the internet have to ask permission of me. "Permission" is granted in a pop-up window in the lower-right corner of the right screen. If I had thought more about it, I would have located that in the lower-right corner of the left monitor -- in the middle of the extended desktop, reducing mouse travel. (Yeah, I could change it. Yeah, I'm lazy. :))

All is not roses with two monitors. This computer also boots SuSE Linux 10.1. SuSE was installed with just one monitor. Now, when it boots up, it recognizes the second monitor, but it doesn't really understand what to do with it. The initial bootup splash screen comes up on both monitors, but when it brings up X-Windows for the desktop, the second monitor goes blank except for the message: OUT OF RANGE, meaning that SuSE has told the video card to use a higher frequency than the monitor can support. It is presumably using the (higher) specs for the original monitor.

There are some more cautions if you are using Linux and an older monitor, or a basic video card. About 8 years ago, I fried a monitor running SuSE (about version 6, as I recall). Older monitors may not check whether they are being overdriven, and Windows is better than Linux was at avoiding the problem. An overdriven monitor can literally melt the electronic components in the drive circuits.

More recently, I fried a video card using a Linux screen saver. SuSE has (or at least had) a Matrix screensaver, which did an excellent imitation of the computer screens you saw in the movie. I liked it so much that I left it up on this computer. After about a month of that, the text on the monitor started getting "jumpy." I finally realized that the vector graphics in that "screen-saver" were driving the video card so hard that it began to fail.

I normally could usean additional monitor (atv set). But all of a sudden the second monitor could not be evoked. I went to display-settings and tried to enable the second monitor but I couldn't be enabled. Can anybody help?Thanks,Jurek-reply by Jurek

Wow that's interesting, how an operating system can mess up hardware. I'm only running Windows here - for now. Did it ruin because of the vertical and horizontal resolution? I found a 21 inch HP monitor that someone was going to throw away along with some other printers, and a dvd player. I happen to salvage the DVD player and 2 of the 5 printers, and 1 of two computer monitors.The problem with the monitor was is was acting all weird. It came on and everything but seemed like different refresh rates would not work no matter which resolution I used. Since I have no experience with fixing CRT monitors I had no choice put to take it to the local recyclers. Sad, it would of been better than my 19" monitor. I think it may have been fried by the previous owners.

Replying to rbf1787Hi matt just reading your how to artical I want to connect another monitorTo my pc. I have an nvida card in allready, it's has a dvi and vga port I'm in the learning process I have an intrest in pc maintance and would like to try this myself. Can you give my any tips & advice Thank you in advanceColette. -reply by colette

I have 2 monitors. My video card is a Radeon 9200 which has a standard db15 jack (male) and an RCA jack. I bought a gender changer and a pigtail which has a male db15 and a female RCA jack. I connected the gender changer andused a male RCA to connect both to my video card but the monitor remained black. I used a tv at one time using the RCA jack for a Karoake show so I know the connection works.

What am I doing wrong or is my monitor not supported in this manner>

I tried connecting the monitor to the default jack on the PC but it would not fit. Any help would be appreciated.

Thaks,

Rich

2nd MonitorHow To Connect Dual/triple Monitor + Advantages

I have 2 monitors and my video card is a Radeon 9200. It has a standard db15 plug and an RCA jack on it. I tried using my 2nd monitor with no luck.I bought a gender changer and a pigtail which has a male db15, an svideo jack and a female RCA jack. I tried plugging in the gender changer and a male RCA jack in turn connecting that to the female RCA on my video card but the monitor remained black.I know the jack works because I used it to connect a TV once as a 2nd monitor for a Karoake show.What am I doing wrong or is the RCA jack not supported for a monitor. Any help would be appreciated.Rich

-question by Rich

Dual head abilityHow To Connect Dual/triple Monitor + AdvantagesDownload ATI's catalyst control and then select "basic" work through the setup a couple of times and you will figure out how to do dual monitors. It operates in windows and though its designed for Radeon monitors it worked well. I have used the program download on both my dell & later my wife's Compaq flat monitors as second screens. You can fin it at http://www.amd.com/en-us and once there type "catalyst control" on the search bar then you can search by OS type, 2000, XP, Vista, Linux etc...

Descriptive Title for Opinion/FeedbackHow To Connect Dual/triple Monitor + Advantages

hi John

I tryed adding two video cards to my pc but when I put the second one

in it knock out my main one can you help if you can, can you e-mail me

at alan01@live.Co.Uk

king regards alan 

-reply by Author Name - e.G. John, MikeKeywords:

Monitors + TVHow To Connect Dual/triple Monitor + Advantages

"There also on thing I doubt about, is it realy possible to have 2 monitors and a TV connected to your graka at the same time ???" <- Of course it's possible. I have 3 monitors connected, all three working; PLUS a 42" LCD TV, so 4 monitors total. I also have the ability to output to two more screens using component video (Y Pb Pr). I've got 2 video cards, one nVidia GeForce 7600 GS and one nVidia GeForce 9600 GT.

-reply by COTP

I had to buy another outlet to fix to the back of my PC (unlike the laptop which already can support 2 monitors) Eventually I managed to fix it all together and it is the best thing I have done for the PC. It has improved functionality. I have an article open on one screen and summarize the same on the other. I am now looking to get a PC that supports 4 monitors so I can have outlook open in the third and I'm and Active sync in the fourth. It is just fabulous having multiple monitors!

Dual monitors separate resolutions?How To Connect Dual/triple Monitor + Advantages

After some time of using a MAG 19" widescreen 1440 X 900. For a second monitor, I just purchased a HannSpree  HF237 (BestBuy)with a default resolution of 1920 by 1080. I need to know how to set each monitor to its best (default) resolution.When I go to the properties /display from (rightclick) main screen, it wants to change both monitors simultaneously. Otherwise, I was able to set it up so both monitors act as an extension of each other. Left to right mouse movement (drag monitors on property setups. Both have same wallpaper (would like to change that) and set sleep times separately for both monitors. The new monitor is used primarily for graphics while the old 19"wide screen for WP etc.

I have an NVidia gforce 8500 card which works well.

Hoping I don't need a second 23" monitor.. 

-reply by Antique

I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400 pro and I was wondering if its possible for me to have a triple display. Its currently in Dual display mode, the onboard VGA and s-video are not in use. I looked into the Display properties and it recognizes that there are three monitors but I cant get it to use the third one (s-video).