xisto Community
ronalddarcey

How Many Background Processes Do You Have Running

Well yeah, it also depends for me, but I just checked and it seems that there are 44 running processes, so I guess it can go sometimes over 50, but I don't have a lot of things turned on, so don't really know why most of you have less, I didn't restart my computer for over two days.. :)

Currently I have 57 processes running, and I'm doing almost nothing more thatn writing the current post, so i thin'k it's a but too much proceses. However, my cpu is idle 96%, so I don't worry too much.

I've got 51 processes running, and my CPU usage is ranging from 20% - 30%I don't know what the highest and lowest I've ever seen are, though I think I've seen like 100 or so there before.

At present I've got 30 BG processess on and that's because I've allowed a lot of unnecessary stuff to utalize automatic updates... however I suppose that if I were to stop all the automatic updates, stip my apache server and my SQL, screenprint ping software etc - stuff that loads on start, I suppose that I could bring down the number of processess down to between 15 and 18.. Untill I pugraded my RAM to 512 I'd never allow more than the most essential stuff to run.. now I guess I've started overlooking stuff.. however, if I'm running memory intensive programs like when I'm working with graphics.. then I turn off most non-essential processess.. What people mean by that up top what are our processes and how do we found out how many we use or what ever

Currently I have 18 processes (which is a lot for me). I have gotten it down to about 8 but that was without an anti-virus, firewall, printer or anything else running (now I have firewall/anti-virus on so don't try anything stupid). I like to keep windows XP as basic as possible after all who needs a mouse shadow or who actually uses that error report? The only effect that I have is the normal toolbar/window (green start button and blue windows). Right now my CPU is from 5-11% so it's not bad for what it sometime is. I would use Linux like everyone else but it takes a long time to boot from CD and I use a few files that require Windows XP.Thanks,Sparkx

I got like 26 processes/258MB RAM on a Dell Latitude D600, Windows XP SP2. With Firefox running.I could narrow it down to "19"if I wanted. Or if I know I'm not going to need the Internet/network capability I can get it down to 11 processes /<90RAM. :)

I have like 39 running right now, but I usually have lower. I try to keep as much stuff off of my startup, and I just try to keep it junk free. But of course, it never happens that way.

Windows Server 2008 Core (Longhorn) launched within Microsoft's Virtual Server kills the host system but only uses up a handful of processes. It's Core, however, so that means you don't get a Desktop environment, just a command prompt for installing and configuring basic server roles :-) Although, it appears that Microsoft's VHD has mood swings in determining when to allow you a Desktop and when not to. Must be a configuration issue...*blinks at a Desktop being constructed right before his very eyes in Server 2008*Hmm...I wonder what button I pushed.

I have 75 running on my laptop (XP Pro) thats with only IE running. Seems way too high. My battery doesnt last long at all. Any ideas on cutting that down lot's seem to be important?!Jon

TOO MANY processes running...ie 8 & Windows XP Professional svc.pak 2How Many Background Processes Do You Have Running

Replying to ronalddarceyDon't know what I'm doing here!!...NOT a techie!!...Just know everything slowed waaaay DOWN after upgrading to IE 8 w/my Windows XP Professional w/svc. Pak 2...Wondering if need to UNINSTALL IE8 and/or go forward with Service Pak 3 in XP Professional?? Also, under System Information, shows waaaaay too many processes running but one that seems would be critical, Computer Browsing, "Stopped"!! THAT's what is soooooooo slow when I select a link to open OR attempt to initially connect to Internet in the first place!! S.O.S., PLEASE!!

-question by Jackie

explorer.Exe

csrss.Exe

lsass.Exe

services.Exe

smss.Exe

5 svchost.Exe

system

system idle process

winlogon.Exe

13 services are the minimum in xp