xisto Community
szupie

Using Copyrighted Music Is it illegal?

Ah damn. It sounds like it's illegal. But then it would be good to be on the safe side and include then in your credits. I mean, in slideshows and mini movies, school teachers don't care, just so long as you credit the creator. But then school teachers don't know much about copyright laws.EDIT (more points to add):I would understand that it's illegal to use copyrighted music, and that we would have to request the performer to let us use the track. But how many people have done so? How many people have contacted say, Britney Spears (since unimatrix said "performer"), and asked if they could use her music? Shouldn't at least some performers make it easier to obtain their music for educational/decent works more easier?

Edited by Vue (see edit history)

Shouldn't at least some performers make it easier to obtain their music for educational/decent works more easier?

I have heard from some people that went through this process that was pretty detailed, in contracts etc. But the cost to use it wasn't all that high.

The simplest route though is to use Royalty-Free music, which has been published for this purpose.

Actually , i don't have found yet free music download on Internet. Just demo of some melodies, but not a playlist or thing like that. I think the single alternative is online radios ...At least , the very old music would be good to be free .

But how many people have done so? How many people have contacted say, Britney Spears (since unimatrix said "performer"), and asked if they could use her music?

Despite what unimatrix said, it is not the performer usually who holds the copyright, but the record label or publishing company. So you would not contact Britney Spears, but the record label that puts out her music.
~Viz

szupie, Why have You to use copyrighted material? I think that https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Sound and https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Video have enough legal / open / usable material to your needs.

Blessings!

Wow thank you so much. :) I think that these would help in the educational field.

We should banish copyrighted material and I guess...be more creative? I mean, you wouldn't die if your website visitors didn't listen to music...

But still, this is a very blunt topic with and seems to be somewhat inconclusive. B)

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I can use only fragments of 2 seconds from a movie, musical video or speech for a TV Ad without asking for permision or usage rights?

I know it sounds funny, but if I have to go trough that procedure I would finish my project in two years:)

-reply by Filip

some music to be used in commerical e-cardsUsing Copyrighted Music

Hi All,

have some questions and need some advice.

we are producing some commercial e-cards.  if we use some popular music, e.G. YMCA, Celebration, etc., I am sure I will need to get some kind of licenses.

I do not need original songs or music, however - since this is for animation only.  Can anybody give me some advice on what would be the easiest (and cheapest) way to get the music (as close to the original as possible) while not breaking any law?  

advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

I-need-some-advice

For a music section, can i get i trouble if i just put some songs to the readers?Using Copyrighted Music

I write for a music section and we are testing a new music player. I write for a music section, I'm new. I write album reviews. I'll like to know, as if for a blog, can I put some of the songs so the readers can hear the songs and get the reviews?

What I do sometimes is look for a youtube link. But the new player is very sleek and I want to know, obviously we are giving all of the credit to the artists and also giving them free advertisement. 

BTW Recently we had a exclusive with a Californian band and we had the approval of them to put the songs on our website, in the new player.

-reply by Fabian

using copyrighted music in non-profit slideshowUsing Copyrighted Music

I can't find a stragiht answer to this. Help! If I make short slideshows highlighting non-profit mission opportunities for our church website, is it legal under "fair use" terms to run copyrighted music (I own the cd's) tracks in them?

how to get permission.Using Copyrighted Music

I'm freelance designer just getting into video stuff. someone is asking me to make a wedding reception video for them and they are going to pay. What do I have to do if they want to use certain music.

how to get permission.

Using Copyrighted Music

I'm freelance designer just getting into video stuff. someone is asking me to make a wedding reception video for them and they are going to pay. What do I have to do if they want to use certain music.

Each country has it's standard way for that. It's exactly the same way you have to do if you want to do a public meeting (like a dance contest) with music, there is simply a common fund for this kind of events. Your local income tax organization is in charge of collecting the money from you, and giving it back to the music authors.

Thanks guys, I have another case to need copyright infomation, but it was helpful.I think this is off topic, but yordan, you still have the HTML "<p>" tags in your quote.