xisto Community
szupie

Using Copyrighted Music Is it illegal?

Streaming of Copywrited MusicUsing Copyrighted Music

I'd like to stream music on my blog. The blog itself is non-commercial; however, ads do appear on the pages and if someone clicks an ad and makes a purchase, I would profit. Would that situation be copywrite infringement? My initial thought would be 'no', because the music wouldn't have anything to do with a sale, but I'm not sure.

In the UKUsing Copyrighted Music

DJ's playing music in a club and live bands performing pay PRS, which pays artists their royalties. However to use music in a film for commercial use you would need to get permission of the copyright holder. I think if it is for non-profit charity use etc. You can get away with just crediting it in the titles, but if you're wedding video service isn't just a gift to a friend you will need to get permission, and they can charge whatever they want for that. It maybe that they go through an agent that has fixed fees, or they may just come up with a quote for up and coming artists. Plus if it' some talentless tart pop tune you want, they probably won't even own the copyright to the recording it will be their arsehole, lets pump out loadsa crap record company.

Can I charge a fee to produce a personal use video containing any popular song?Using Copyrighted Music

Can I charge a fee to produce video for clients which consist of the clients personal family photos and a music recording such as Rod Stewart "Forever Young?"

-reply by Dean Fraser

Can I charge a fee to produce a personal use video containing any popular song?

Using Copyrighted Music

Can I charge a fee to produce video for clients which consist of the clients personal family photos and a music recording such as Rod Stewart "Forever Young?"

-reply by Dean Fraser

You cannot charge a fee for including copyrighted music. You can only charge money for your manpower. However, the guy for which you created the video must pay royalties each time he shows this video, and if he does not, you are guilty...

Can you upload a video or clips from it, not for money,of a musical produced by a non-profit organization for children?Using Copyrighted MusicThe book is "Charlottes Web?" Adapted by Joseph Robinette. Music and lyrics by Charles Strouse (who has died). Based on the book by E.B. White (also deceased.) The muscial was recently produced by a non-profit theater organization who had to pay for a license to do the show etc. It was all done legally. My question is, if the show was video taped for fun, and not for profit, could clips from the video be shown on line? It would obviously only interest people specifcally in the show who might want to see it? Thanks-question by JaneFargo

The muscial was recently produced by a non-profit theater organization who had to pay for a license to do the show etc. I

The organization had to pay a licence to do the show. You would have to pay a licence, the same way, each time a guy looks at the show on your website.
Of course, legal things change from one country to the other ones. The best way would be to keep strictly to the law, no matter the country you are from. Because if you happen to go to court, you never know now things can go, a judge can decide to strictly apply the copyright regulations.

I know it's a little off-topic but radio blog club (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) is a good way of adding a radio to your website without having to pay licensing fee's. Simply go to the site and sign-up, make your playlist (you can make more than one if you wish) then get your embed code and put it in a pop-up or whatever on your site. The way this works is the radio player is considered a music blog and has a link on it back to the music blog. It also advertises buying the track in the player as well from the radio blog club store. The money they make from the store is used to buy their licenses to allow music blogging. It's got a lot of the popular music on there already and if you have a premium account then you can upload your own music. The best thing is it runs on very limited bandwidth so even if your connection is slow it's still possible to listen to it uninterrupted waiting for the track to buffer. The only problem I've found is the music index doesn't detect if the file is corrupt or not so when constructing your playlist it's best that you test the track first before adding it.

I know it's a little off-topic but

I would say that it's quite not off-topic.
It's a nice workaround for the legal problem.
If a guy uses this solution, it sends the legal problem back to radioblog.com
radioblog.com has to check that thay pay all the legal rights for the copyrighted music they play, and you simply use their services.
So, really nice solution.

from where to buy copyrights.Using Copyrighted Music

hello,,

I want some information about coprights.

if anybody wants to develop a website of songs where he wants to provide songs freely to the peoples online as like other songs websites do.

so, I want to know that from where we can buy copyrights of songs for the website and what's the procedure.

-question by manish vats

Using copyrighted music for a short filmUsing Copyrighted Music

Replying to unimatrixI saw your post to another question and thought that you might be able to help me.I am working on a short film where my actors will be singing copyrighted material. What kind of license do I need to get? I checked the ASCAP and it says it doesn't cover drama. The short film is a musical/show choir type film. The copyrighting laws have me really confused and I hope that you can help.

Thanks,KJ-reply by Kara Joy

using 30 sec of your own recording of yourself performing copyrighted musicUsing Copyrighted Music

Is it true that you can use 30 seconds of copyrighted music without having to get ASCAP permission? And is that the same whether it is the original composer performing the material or someone else whose permission you have to record and sell that 30 seconds of performance?

-reply by swissms