xisto Community
jcguy

Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail Whos winning the battle?

GMail all the way, Hotmail is good, the new junk folder works wonders but there are still bits taht seap throughb and its not nice.. i only got it recently though so there needs to be some rethink on hotmails part, i havent used yahoo! mail for a long long while!!! ... What hotmail falls down on is too many chain mails that are saying that MSn is gonna fall, and you have to do this and do that... it gets irritating.With Goolge set to make their own instantr messaging service, google will rule the internet, nad I'd like a job at hte googlePlex!! B)

Hotmail was winning, before Gmail came out. Now everyone is moving to Gmail because it offers more space. I have a Gmail account and yet I still stick to hotmail, I just couldn't be bothered changing but yeah.Gmail will win, apart from the fact the offer the most space, they still provide better services, etc.Personally I will always stay with hotmail, at least until i get my own internet plan. Go Hotmail!!!

i am using hotmail. but i have signed up for windows live mail at https://login.live.com/jsDisabled.srf?mkt=EN-US&lc=1033 and it gives you 2GB storage to free users and a whole new interface alot better than hotmails. uses AJAX so its super fast. on the downside though it still uses tag lines at the end of emails and does not allow free outlook access. also its got ads like in hotmail today. i am urging them to change these elements to improve because thats what i am meant to do. i am a beta tester for them. any more questions ma email is - tom-lee@hotmail.co.uk. also i use it because msn messenger (now windows live messenger - which i have invites for. just email me) is dominent in the uk and its access for email using that is excellent. i just wish i could use outlook 2003 on my pc!

As it stands in my house right now I use AOL but also have a seperate yahoo email account for when I need it. I actually havent heard alot about Gmail, but I do know there are alot of ads on yahoo which I'm sure probably contribute to some spyware on my computer which I don't want. If Gmail doesn't have any ads that would be the way I would want to go, if it is free. Can anyone tell me what kind of other features it would have that your talking about besides the 1gig of space.

The fervour g-mail invites caused alone should give some indication as to what people find desirable. Those who don't need the storage space won't necessarily favour one over another, but for those of us who actually use it, Gmail is incomparible. Furthermore, I think they're intent on staying that way, and would neutralise any legitimate competition. Even now the amount of storage space they give-out continues to increase. The advertisements which pop up while I'm checking my G-mail tend to be a little strange, however. Am I the only one who is continually subjected to recipes which consist of spam? Oh, the irony.

I use Hotmail mostly, very good service and tools. Junk filter works pretty good.There was a thing about G-Mail a while back about it being a US owned company and the law were that any emails that were X ammount of days old can be read without your permission etc.... And again who would use 1GB of space for mail?Ive heard and seen on some other websites that theres a tool for Gmail which it can act like your harddrive, you can upload / download just like it was a harddrive on yr PC..But i think G-Mail overall will win the battle, yahoo sucks, hotmail been around quite some while. Anything new will take over

I use Hotmail mostly, very good service and tools. Junk filter works pretty good.
There was a thing about G-Mail a while back about it being a US owned company and the law were that any emails that were X ammount of days old can be read without your permission etc....

And again who would use 1GB of space for mail?

Ive heard and seen on some other websites that theres a tool for Gmail which it can act like your harddrive, you can upload / download just like it was a harddrive on yr PC..

But i think G-Mail overall will win the battle, yahoo sucks, hotmail been around quite some while. Anything new will take over

Haha, I totally agree with you on the amount of space XD
I have so much emails in my hotmail folder, that I'd think it would use at least 50 percent of the 250 megs. Then I check and it says only 13 O_O;; What's the point of changing an email that all your friends know to heart, when you can get a 2 gig email that you won't even use much space of? Maybe... I'm sticking with what I already have for the easy way.

Haha, I totally agree with you on the amount of space XDI have so much emails in my hotmail folder, that I'd think it would use at least 50 percent of the 250 megs. Then I check and it says only 13 O_O;; What's the point of changing an email that all your friends know to heart, when you can get a 2 gig email that you won't even use much space of? Maybe... I'm sticking with what I already have for the easy way.

Yeap exactly, as soon as G-Mail offers "15 GB" Hotmail will offer 15.4 GB, its whoever has the balls and hardware to do it first gets most custom.

We'll just have to see how long the Google maina continues B). Soon we'll see Google as a shop, a car model, maybe even a place! lol
Edited by rogeruk (see edit history)

I like yahoo because it is much better than hotmail because of easy spam filters, much more space, exc. the list goes on lol. And I like it better than gmail because it has much more security and privacy. Eventually it will have almost all the same stuff as gmail too.

I like Yahoo because I have all(Hotmail,Yahoo!Mail and Gmail) but Gmail has 2GB and growing.Yahoo!Mail gives 1 email address(your user name)and 1 email that you want(example:coo.l48274@yahoo.com)and you can put a dot* in the email addess! Also Yahoo! has alot of stuff (music,dating,movies,answers,geocities,360,my yahoo...).Hotmail has little space.

I guess there is sentimental value attached to the email which you have been using most frequently

Most of my friends are still writing to my old mail, so I cannot really switch to gmail.I tried explaining them "please you should better write to my gmail mailbox", then they write once to the old one and once to gmail, and when the phone "you did not answer my mail" i cant' find it any more.
There should be a way of reading the hotmail mails from my gmail box.