xisto Community
jcguy

Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail Whos winning the battle?

My first free EMail service was yahoo, but I stopped using it shortly after I started. Then I transfered to Hotmail, because I needed it for using MSN Messenger. As the matter of fact, I still use it, but I get only spam. Recently, I had to delete most of my messages (the ones that I got before I stopped using it for emailing) because I was nearing my 4MB storage limit :D I was also annoyed because the hotmail web site was filled with ads and it wasn't easy to find something you needed. And then GMail appearedIt is absolutely the best service, and not only because of it's big storage. It has no ads, it's is really simple, and it also has a messenger. GTalk is really great, because it is also simple. The only flaw is that it doesn't work with Win98, which some people still use (I think it doesn't work...). But besides that, Google provides the best service when talking about email

Moderators, please delete this post, and the shorter one. I pressed smth on my keyboard accidentaly and it posted a message that was not complete.

Well I thing Gmail is in the leading but they have to make some changes. Gmail gives you more space, more speed but the interface is confuse. When you want to send a mail to a group of people you have to select one by one, you can't make groups or have a list of your contacts select whats you wish and move on, you have to type one letter and than select your desire contact. And the conversation type implemented by google to organize the mails is original, but is confuse and much less pratice. If they review this small things they will be great.Actually a thing we don't need more space, we need more easy ways to make the things.If I can I make a fusion of Gmail with Yahoo! Mail. Only the best! :D

i have a gmail and yahoo mail account but i use yahoo more, its faster to login and things arent easy to move around and stuff, on gmail it takes alittle while to login, they have weird drop down menus for how to move things, one thing i can say good though is nice amount of storage lol

I've had yot to try Gmail, but now that I have a cellphone, I guess I can get myself an invitation sent to my cell phone...I actually am mostly a bluebottle user, but now they added the premium service, which basically took a lot of good features away from their accounts, and they now charge for POP3, and so they have lost me. I hate it when you have free POP3, and then all of a sudden you don't have it because they want to charge for it. I'm going to see if Gmail offers POP3 access.

This is quite a difficult situation to assess. Hotmail, I think, has the most widespread messenger. For all I know Yahoo only gained a certain popularity in Eastern Europe. At the moment, I reckon Gmail offers the best mail service with ~2,6 GB. It also has a simple and bannerless interface, without a billion ads or links to "Weight Watchers" or similar websites.Also, there are no flash ads. These things are utterly annoying especially when having a slow internet connection. If Google Talk becomes a bit more popular I think Google Mail will definetly be the best mail/messenger service on the web.PS: Another good feature at Gmail is that you are able to forward your messages from on Gmail account to another Gmail account so you can have multiple mail addresses and not bother logging into all of them 30 times per day.

Do you still remember the days when our free Hotmail and Yahoo mail inboxes were only a few megabytes? 2mb for hotmail and 4 mb for Yahoo! Mail? With the entry of Google's Gmail which offers 1 Gigabyte of free email storage space, the battle is set between all these free email providers. Who do you think is winning?

I remembered that Yahoo! quickly followed up with 250mb soon after Gmail. I was using Hotmail, and I was conficent that MSN will also increase storage space. But they didn't and I switced to Gmail which now offers 2 gig. Hotmail has only recently gave out 250mb and it was only for US residents. Now Yahoo is giving 1 gig. MSN Hotmail is still slow.

So who do you think is winning the email battle?

Notice from m^e:
This isn't a tutorial by any means. At least make sure your posts are heading for the right forum. Moved to Internet & Websites.

1064311835[/snapback]

I really don't care for them, but probably Gmail. I have yahoo! and AIM, so...but gmail is winning I guess 'cause they give 1gb of space, and lots a people want space...

If Gmail came out earlier, I would be sure that it will win the game. Now, although hotmail is not good enough, it has its own users and network. Also, MSN messager is easy to use and very popular.I will not suggest yahoo. It should provide more creative characteristic but just follow others.

I prefer GMail over all. It seems to be the fastest in load time, and it's pretty easy to navigate through it. I have e-mail addresses with MSN and Yahoo and AIM but I mainly use those for the messenger.

at least a 60% of the internet users have a hotmail accounts, myself begin in the internet with a hotmail account but the gmail service its great, but I think the battle its between yahoo and gmail, those are really big contenders, their service its almost the same, but for me i always love gmail :)

Now Gmail have added their messenger to the service I imagine that they would become more popular then ever.The new messaging looks really good, and as you can combine it with your GMail account, it will make keeping in touch easier, as it will all be in the same window.

I prefer gmail over hotmail because of the pop3 support, which hotmail.co.uk address do not support. Also the interface looks cleaner, less cluttered and as someone said before NO FLASH ADS!!Unsurprisingly Gmail is popular but obviously as it is an invite service, it cannot really compete with hotmail and yahoo.

I personally have all three email accounts and the only two i use are Gmail and yahoo. The reason being that yahoo allows me to send .exe programs while Gmail does not. Also because when i'm at school on their network it has yahoo blocked and allows me to get to Gmail though. So to me Hotmail has defiantly lost the race and Gmail and Yahoo are neck in neck. If Gmail was to incorporate the ability to send .exe's then it would be Gmail hands down! Anyone else agree with me? Also the fact that yahoo sends me alot of spam and Gmail does not.

I am currently using yahoo. Most of the people I know are using yahoo. It seems like most of the people who aren't too good with computers around here use yahoo. I think yahoo stands out the most to these kind of people. I always see my father uses yahoo messenger and search engine... I do not even know why I prefer yahoo over gmail. It is more convient for me to have gmail because I have google as my homepage. B)I haven't heard alot from hotmail anymore... not since 6-7 years ago when I needed a personal email account.

Edited by NewGuyinTown (see edit history)

The best now is google, i switched to it a long time ago and i invited nearly all my friends who switched to it also, i think it's the winner with all new features "the most newest one is Chat", with that large inbox, i heared they will make it unlimited space so soon, google is growing day by day, i think one day it will lead the world of technology, now they are making a new linux distro with ubuntu which is based on debian, i heared it will be called "gobuntu", don't know exactly if this name is right or wrong, but i think this is another long step against microsoft.