xisto Community
jcguy

Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail Whos winning the battle?

the only reason I have accounts with hotmail and yahoo was to use their instant messenger. every e-mail service ive ever had has spammed my mailbox, but on yahoo i can mark them and then they dont fill up my inbox. ive been trying to get gmail for a year or so now, and I can't even sign up. maybe gmail is so fast because yahoo had 100 times the users. yahoo is available to EVERYONE, not those who catch it when signing up is available. personally, i think all free services suck, but why would you need 1 or 2 gig? honestly! what are you doing writing novels!?! I am personally a fan of yahoo. forget gmail, its all about YAHOO! and besides, im anti-google. I refuse to use google, they're a fishy company. I'm converting my school over to yahoo. AND . . . might I add, that yahoo had more websites registered in their catalog thingy so that more websites are made available to you than on google. YAHOO! YAHOO! Oh yeah, and gmail looks like it was a rip off of yahoo at some places, like the login, and the inbox. Just thought I'd been that to your attention.

I guess there is sentimental value attached to the email which you have been using most frequently or the longest. Email has found its way into our rank of daily priority things to do, and it's quite a personal thing cos that's where some of your friends, your love ones and your life-lines comes through to you. Even the least computer savvy person will still know how to check their email. It's not surprising why people stick by their email brand and even feel a deep sense of loyalty and love for it. I like Gmail more and more now, it's a joy to use, but I suspect it will take about half a decade before it really anchors down to become a household name. Lots of branding to do yet, but the people at Google does seem to know exactly what they are doing, don't they? Especially in the way they plan ahead to unveal overnight surprises.

i used hotmail for a long time, but i noticed lately that it's been farting out on me. plus, if i try to send large attachments, it times out.yahoo is ok. i mainly use it for message boards in an online game i play.i haven't tried gmail yet. i may give it a spin sometime this week.

I've used Hotmail ever since I turned 13 about 5 years ago. I haven't stopped using it yet. I also don't care about space, since 250 MB is more than enough for all my email that come to me. I think MSN is the same as Hotmail, but it's odd how they are put. Yahoo isn't that bad though, just I'm a Hotmailer :P

I vote Gmail. it's a heck of a lot of space and it's got a really cool interface. i recently switched back to gmail after signing up to hotmail, but hotmail's so old-fashioned looking. It's got a really "linky" interface, it's like how gmail would look on the "basic HTML" mode. So, gmail for me! :P

Gmail for reliability and sheer speed. Plus, I like the concept of conversations rather than loosly-linked messages.I've been using Yahoo for about 3 years now, purely because they partnered with my ISP and I can access my POP via Yahoo. Quite useful for when I'm on the road. I've been transitioning over to Gmail (sadly, what I really need is an IMAP), and I'm very impressed. Once Google includes a notes and calendar function, I'll be completely sold. Until then, I'll still maintain my Yahoo accounts.And I still remember when Hotmail wasn't owned by Microsoft. Ah, memories...

If Gmail still in beta, I think Yahoo! will win. But I'm still waiting dor Gmail to go public. I like the conversation style inbox. It's kind of organized. I wish Yahoo could do the same thing too. We can track all the mail which we reply and receive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah, i think more that the reason they keep it in Beta is so that memebers feel they belong to an "elite" club, and of course that'll make others who don't have it feel like they're missing out on something. when something is totally free it isn't valued as much. i think it's a smart idea on their side. even though every gmail account has their 50 invites to give away, and the mroe you give away, they just get replaced in your box, but still, it's a good idea. then the lack of graphical ads, the ability and ease of checking your mail through a pop3 client, the speed with which your pages load, the ever-increasing hard disk space, ability to use your gmail account as a hard drive, to run your website from your mail account, and much more. all this i think makes a pretty strong case for google as the No.1 in email providers.

gmail > rest imho :PI love everything about gmail, the comfort of having the huge inbox should you ever need it, the way it stores messages, how you can classify them. I have just loved everything about gmail since I've gotten the account. Highly recommend it everyone all the time :P

Gmail will win. Easily.Gmail is the fastest and biggest e-mail service on the net, You get over 1GB of space, just for mail, and lots of other features. Yahoo and Hotmail barley stand active, since most users are moving to Gmail. You can find Gmail invites all over the net, so that makes it simple. Also, you can control your sent and recieved mail easily, and use many features to do with it as you wish.Yahoo, then again, has different features the Gmail, like the online games and such. Still, Gmail doesn't waste their time on less important things like games, but rather on the important things that actually benifit the users. Since Google made Gmail, and their a multi-million dollar company, I think they can out-run Yahoo in just about anything.Hotmail seems to act as if they have a plan to beat Gmail, however, they haven't shown anything since then. They won't waste their space offering 1GB of room, and either will Yahoo. I believe they could come back anytime, but they're not. I don't understand them.Gmails storage space is increasing every second, basically showing off in front of the other two. I believe that Yahoo will be the first thrown out of the three, but then again, it might come back with something to put them in the lead.

I like gmail the best. I use that gmail notifier on my computer, which is very usefull when I email with friends. Lots of space I don't even need too. It's easy to sign up and sign off and I rarly ever get random junk mail with gmail. It's easy to organize and navigate and pick options for stuff. This is only from my experience. With hotmail, I have problems and I don't like I can't see any of my sent mail. Gmail rules.

Just doubt about the gmail approach, till now they continue improve their service, and their e-mail box size, now it's about 2.3G, but they are still an invite only mail service provider, so any clue when they will open to the public, or that's the way they will provide their service for ever.