xisto Community
jcguy

Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail Whos winning the battle?

This is still a discussion?! No doubt about it, Gmail is the best e-mail provider out there. I use Gmail myeslf - obviously, or I wouldn't be making such extreme accusations, and the fact is, Gmail rocks.Pros: OVER 2 GB space; no need to delete - ever. Very clean layout; nothing obtrusive or annoying. "Intelligent" Ads; Google Ads made to match your current search, e-mail, etc - also, very unobtrusive. Import Contacts; move your contacts from your earlier e-mail provider to Gmail in a jiffy!Cons: Like I've said before, you feel bad that you don't pay them for such a service.So, there's my review - yes, my review; as in, I just did it.You like?

Isn't there a "new" hotmail interface coming out? It's supposed to be extremely cool, showing the progress your your attachments both up and download. I wouldn't be suprised if Google made the g-mail drive program unusable, they're going to run out of space sooner or later. The general public doesn't even know what g-mail is, though..mostly PC savvy people, so maybe not.

Comon' people.

Gmail without a doubt. Once you use it you never turn back. Only con so far is the fact that you gotta be invited. Other than that it's a webmail dream come true.

Hell, I'm gonna set mine up to act as a drive/server storage for my webspace - if I can figure it out.

If that works out then I'll have upwards to 2gigs or more FREE WEBSPACE!

I have a Gmail Account, Yahoo Account and a Hotmail account (.co.uk one and a .com one and a @msn.com one :mellow:)I think the best is Hotmail because it comes with MSN Messenger but I know you can register your Gmail account with MSN Passport and be able to do instant messaging on MSN Messenger (I've done that) but Hotmail is much nicer, I think its hard to navigate on Gmail (Not on your email client but logging in using the site to read your mail, all those colours :blink:)Overall here are my ratingsHotmail :- ****Yahoo :- **Gmail :- ***(***** - Best / * - Poorest)But its just my opinion so dont shout at me for liking hotmail the best :huh:

I just don't know what I gotta do with 1 Gig.

I'm using Hotmail, but that's enough for me.. so I don't think I need Gmail or Yahoo! mail.

And maybe Hotmail will follow Gmail and make it 2 Gig.. than I got more space..! :blink:

1064312078[/snapback]

Same for me. I've had my Hotmail account forever and I dont think I've ever used over 10% of the space. A gigabyte of space for email?!!? Jeez, I could almost fit the entire content of my computer in there. :huh: I dont do much besides simple emailing back and forth to family and friends, and for that Hotmail works great! :mellow:

Although, I think in the "battle" Gmail will definitely win among

..bumped enter. Is there an edit button? oO If so could a mod delete this post and tack what I said onto my post? Thanks! :mellow:--I think in the "battle" Gmail will definitely win among the more computer-literate and "hardcore" people. But for folks who use their email for casual correspondance with friends and family, why NOT go with a trusted name like Microsoft or Yahoo? Thats my opinion, anyways.

derouge, I fully agree. For the vast majority of people, the large amount of space Gmail gives is not needed, (hell, for most of us we'll not need that much for mail), and they don't want to store files anywhere either, which I would suggest is the main reason most here would use Gmail.

I never really tried Gmail, but between hotmail and yahoo, id have to say hotmail. I choose hotmail not really just because of space,but just that i like how the website looks and just the feel to it. yep...pretty weird. anyways i dont really mind that much about too much space, because im probably not gonna use it all anyways.

it is more important that the email provider is safe, including taking good care of personal info, the content to the mail and much more.

Do you still remember the days when our free Hotmail and Yahoo mail inboxes were only a few megabytes? 2mb for hotmail and 4 mb for Yahoo! Mail? With the entry of Google's Gmail which offers 1 Gigabyte of free email storage space, the battle is set between all these free email providers. Who do you think is winning?

I remembered that Yahoo! quickly followed up with 250mb soon after Gmail. I was using Hotmail, and I was conficent that MSN will also increase storage space. But they didn't and I switced to Gmail which now offers 2 gig. Hotmail has only recently gave out 250mb and it was only for US residents. Now Yahoo is giving 1 gig. MSN Hotmail is still slow.

So who do you think is winning the email battle?

Notice from m^e:
This isn't a tutorial by any means. At least make sure your posts are heading for the right forum. Moved to Internet & Websites.

1064311835[/snapback]

I think that GMAIL is the current winner. They support POP for free, and the webmail is really cool because it's optimized using Java Script. I'm currently using all of them. But my main email account is an Gmail one. That's all

i don't think it's about how many megs do they allocate us, because, frankly, my inbox in't bigger that 15-20 megs after 5 years, so i don't think it's all about that ! The thing is that MSN it's out of the battle, Gmail is still new and it hasn't got everything put together really well, and yahoo it's ok for now ! Yahoo gets alot of users form the Yahoo Messenger, but in the future i think that Gmail will win the battle ! We have to say that all of this is only for the best of us, the users !