xisto Community
Cookiemonster1405241499

Is Your Internet Speed Good Enough Vs. Cost ?

I used to be on Sify "Broadband" I used to pay 10USD a month for a miserable 48kbps "Unlimited" connection. The speeds were pathetic. Their 'unlimited" meant not more than 200MB/day. If you dared to cross that 1 day would be deducted from your validity. It was better than 1GB limit for SIX months at 128 Kbps.A few months back the government made a law stating that they had to provide speed of "256Kbps" upwards to call it boradband so now it's "Lightning Fast Internet through Cable". BSNL thats a government owned company give 256Kbps ADSL at 10USD per month. But their are limits. You can get upto 1 Mbps for the home segment at.........60USD if im not wrong.

EDIT:

i thought of coming back and adding this in:

While I'm using a 1Meg ADSL link here in Thailand and I was feeling lucky - I was amazed to hear recently, that my home country India, is one of the FIRST ever to offer ADSL2 - which offers download speeds upto at least 25MB/s - and right now, only U.S. and India are the ONLY two countires in the whole wide world offering these standards. The rest are busy implementing it yet - most will get it done sometime later this year. Now, I've been out of my home for almost past 5 years, and I'm extremely impressed to hear about such fantastic developments in the communications front... In fact, even when I was back home, I'd worked in the Network Design section of a company named Reliance Telecom, India which was setting up a 3 Terrabyte Fibre Optic backbone all over the country, which was to (possibly) link every home/office all over the country through high-grade copper core wires joining up with the main FDDI backbone through certain ports known as the MAN or [/b]Metropolitain Access Nodes[/b]. I'm overjoyed to hear that all of it has worked out for the better and this post is simply to share the delight with you guys ...

25Mbps....man thats costly....Im not too sure about the provider though.. I never heard this one...

Allright....im ignorant.

No matter how much I pay, I always get the feeling that the price is too high. In my opinion bandwidth should be free! Free as Linux for example. Like air or water, internet connection should be something that simply is there. As soon as I get free unlimited SDSL bandwidth the price is just right. :lol:

Holy S*** - 20 bucks a month for 28.8 ?? OMG!! Dude you're being massively ripped off. Here in Thailand we pay approx. 700 Baht ( 17.5USD ) for a 1 meg ADSL link. Do something about it real quick. Break you modem, rip off your phone line or something similar - do some extensive damage to the connecting mechanism that your folks are forced to switch over to the better alternative :lol: Tell them, you had  a talk with your modem and told it about the kind of speeds other modems handle, and yours got extremely shocked and died of shame.. - that'd be the perfect excuse :D

Regards,

m^e

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LMAO. That'll show them. :lol:

I just switched to DSL a few months ago. Getting 3Mbps at $29.99 per month. Can't wait till fiber optic comes around my area. Only $5 more if I get the lower end plan.

ADSL2? Is that like the new Internet2 that I've been hearing about? I heard you can download the whole matrix DVD movie in around 30 seconds. Holy cow. :lol:

Six months or so ago the broadband connection prices here in finland dropped quite dramatically. Partially because of the increase in competition but probably also because of a government warning to the operators who kepts way too big profit margins compared to other european countries.My own connection... well I have 1Mb/512kb ADSL with no transmission limits (we don't have them here) and I use it quite heavily, ie. download stuff from p2p networks. It costs me 30EUR/month which I think is reasonable.

ADSL2?  Is that like the new Internet2 that I've been hearing about?  I heard you can download the whole matrix DVD movie in around 30 seconds.  Holy cow.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The whole matrix movie in 30 secs? Ok, lets see. If it's a normal DVD of around 3-4 GB, then it's 3-4 GB / 25MB/sec = 120-160 secs, wow, that's pretty amazing. I tought it would be much more then that, even with such incredible speeds. M^E, I think I'm gonna move to Thailand :lol: , I have already some family there, maybe they heard about it.

Lol.. sorry dude.. slight mistake in calculations here.. See all Internet Speed ratings are actually measured in MegaBITS or KiloBITS per second... which is 8 times more in constrast to the actual download speeds you get..For a 1Meg ADSL Link, the actual download speed would be: 1024Kbps/8 = 128KiloBYTES/second.. which means it would take you approximately around 8-10 seconds to get a 1MB file, if your link can sustain the speed continuously..Similarly, a 25Mbps connection means 25 Megabits/second.. actual download speeds would be around - 3200KiloBYTES per second which is approx: 3.12 MegaBYTEs/second.. Still this is a humongous figure... even at this rate, a 3.5GB movie would take you around 1195 seconds i.e. approx. 20 minutes.. IMPRESSIVE MAN :lol:

Let's see ... am I paying too much for my wireless Internet connection?Probably. It doesn't cost me anything directly, but this (and all of my other computer-related perks) are covered in my "computer and technology" fee every semester. All told, for two long semesters (I take summers off), these fees add up to $800 a year.But ... I get a lot more than just this Internet connection. No, really. I get a dinky little e-mail address with the university that I never use. I get to go into the computer labs all over this campus, which I only use when I'm printing a massive project that will suck down a few hundred pages. Other than the Internet connection, the only other computer-related thing I actually use is our on-campus computer store. I guess that, all told, getting deep discounts on legal copies of all sorts of programs almost justifies $800 a year for these services.Almost.But it beats the snot out of being at home. We live in the middle of nowhere and can only get dial-up. We only pay about ten bucks a month for a near-48-k connection, but it still sucks.

Like Nakul I too use Sify (in INDIA).I have 256kbps cable connection connection priced at around 15 US dollars. I have unlimited download option. Though the browsing speed is quite quick the download speed is around 30-35 kbps. The bad point is that though the service providers claim it unlimited they forbid us to download more than 150MB during the day (9 AM to 10 PM). If we compare the prices with other service providers in the country it’s quite cheap, but overall I feel it’s costly. The speed is too slow if compared to service providers in other countries.It is expected that the prizes of internet would go down in the country as they want to encourage broadband.Like hazeshow has said i too believe that the internet should be free and government should provide it.Lets see if that might happen in the time to come :)Speedy

Here in Mexico things are so different. I pay 400 pesos ($40) for a 512kb connection and the prices are: 1mb: $70, 1.5mb: $100 and 2mb: $500!!. Telmex is bad, really bad. And when I come to think about the prices, I seriously want to go to USA just for a cheaper Internet, well, public services. If you don't believe me here's the link: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by PyramidHead (see edit history)

Well it seems like you all are better off than I.Well here in Jamaica, the prices arent has outragious as you may have thought or conclude. And within a few months its about to get even lower.You see we have one landline service provider, which is Cable & Wireless Jamaica(http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). They also provide our mobile services along with there competitor Digicel Jamaica. These two, have so far been ok(*not good). Now theres a reason why I mention Digicel Jamaica; which provides only mobile services. Its because they also provide internet access(not via landlinebut mobile as a modem).The current prices for ADSL via Cable & Wireless Jamaica are as follows: 128 down / 64 UP US$29.99256 down /128 UP US$39.99512 down /128 UP US$49.99768 down/256 UP US$59.991024 down/512 UP US$69.99Yea I know pricey huh? lolAny how Im using Digicel Jamaica & Cable Wireless Jamaica's internet via wireless or phone as a modem. Digicel charges 25c/kb but I get on for FREE via my own method so its free internet for me. C&W J charges $15/day.Now there is a new telecommunications provider thats also most completed there infrastructure work in Jamaica, called FLOW. They will offer us cable services(TV), internet services and landline services also. There internet service will be far faster and cheaper when compared with C&WJ. There starting package(128kbps) will be about $10 US! Which is really cheap considering, there speeds are also great, there maxium for residential will be 8MBps(10MBps for business) down and 2MBps UP. All with there fibre optic network. They also wil offer a service called Flow High-Speed VLAN Service Which is a High capacity fibre connectivity between multiple locations is provided through our Metro Ethernet network. This service is ideally suited for the transport of voice, data and video between multiple locations within Jamaica. Capacities range from 1 Mb to 1 Gb.I guess Jamaica isnt too bad after all in terms of internet and telecommunications for a small island. LMAOSo what do you guys think?

Edited by ram130 (see edit history)

I live in Easter Kentucky, and I'm surprised to see many people's options as ridculous or as small as mine. I pay $60/month for a 1 megabit connection with 320 kbps upload stream. I'm not too satisified with it, but from what I'm reading here it's not "all" that bad. That's the only option we have here and it's offered by our local telephone company (xDSL). Adelphia cable is offered for digital television, but they refuse to offer cable internet here. Our rates: 39.99/mo 320kbps/128 kbps49.99/mo 740kbps/320 kbps59.99/mo 1024kbps/320 kbpsOver the past few weeks however I noticed a change. I think they've upped our limit and now I'm getting anywhere from 2 mbps - 2.3 mbps down, and around 520 kbps up. Hopefully they've changed their plans permenantly. I'm a lot more satisfied with those speeds.A friend of mine did a test on testmy.net and showed me he had a 10 mbps downstream and 2 mbps upstream. Insane speeds. He's on a cable connection I believe in Mexico and he pays like 24.99 a month. He could increase his speed by 50% by painging another $15/mo, or so he says. I'll check my message history and post a link to his results if I can find it to see if they're real or not.Overrall, as of now, I'm satisified. When I first got it, I expected more, and I'm glad it's been increased to 2 mbps. I just like being able to share my bandwidth with my wife and still have a decent connection.

My parents pay about $30 for internet, and we get a decent speed. So I suppose the pay and internet speed are ok. Though I want them to switch to Broadband, for faster speed. I think it's only an extra $5.

Ive recently changed to dsl, I had comcast cable before. But it seems that comcast has raised their prices for broadband so I had to switch over to dsl. I rather be charged 20 dollars a month for the basically the same thing than being charge 40-60 a month just for comcast. I beileve comcast to be a great service but now using sbc dsl, I cant really notice the difference between the two, besides that one plan is cheaper than the other.

Comcast...now that's something to talk about. They're good if you're in a rural (as in less people using Comcast in your area) area and you're basically one of the only ones using Comcast because everyone goes by the same cable to the Comcast internet gateway so they all get clogged up if you have too many. I tried testmy.net before and believe it or not, I'm only running on 20% of the average Comcast cable speed. That is seriously absolutely horrible but i can't help it. The downloading speeds are fine i guess, uploading not so good. The only reason why i stay with this company is because they're price rates are way cheaper than the others around when i went searching for ISPs during that time. I was about to go with Bellsouth too but Comcast beat them by 5 dollars.