xisto Community
Airlub

What Do You Use For Web Programming? Frontpage, Notepad, etc.

Hi, I've always used AceHTML and I think to be honest I always will. It combines both simplisity and advanced coding (for the pro's) and it is friendly and easy to use. I think it's great. Sean Webber militaryknowledge@hotmail.co.uk

I use notepad the most.Frontpage, Dreamweaver, Homesite are installed for my lazy days when I just want to click and add what I want and not actually type the code out.I have heard that frontpage is the lazy persons way to creating websites. I agree it is a little bit of a cheat, same with dreamweaver and homesite.They change the color of the code if it doesn't match or if the code is broken they have debuggers built in so you can debug your work before publishing it, but I love notepad clean and simple, no fancy gadgets or cool spiffy buttons to push nothing cluttered around my workspace.Just my 2 cents

I mainly use dreamweaver but occasionally I will use notepad for basic html stuff. I like using dreamweaver the most because when I don't do coding everyday, I tend to forget some things. Also, dreamweaver makes the code easy to look at, especially when you have php files that are 100+ lines.

Okay... first of all, FRONTPAGE???? I hope you didn't pay money for it, no offense or anything but you can do waaaay better. I'm not too sure about the latest version but I had FP 2000 and it was crap... sure it has a nice Windoze user-friendly UI and all, and alright it does seem to remind you of almost EVERY of MS app out there but it has one MAJOR problem.... it's made by M$!!! The King of all things unsupported and clumsy... just take a quick look at the code that it generates behind the scenes, after you've created a relativley "simple" site with navigation, lets say about 10 pages... you've got nothing but clutter. Even the templates leave something to be disired. Also, try loading up one of your frontpage created pages under another browser (no NOT IE :() like opera, firefox, mozilla... you'll see the pain people have to go through for microsofts ignorance, half the time if you create anything moderatley "dynamic" under FP you'll get a mess of M$ vb code or w/e.. last time I made a website with FP was almost 6 years ago and I can't even stand to look at it anymore... slow, bloated, half-works... ugh.If you want a REAL website designer go for GoLive or Dreamweaver, or better yet go for the freebies.. like Nvu.. or Bluefish (seeing as how your header does mention Programming.. :() If you want good programming.. stay *away* from FP... I personally use Quanta or KDevelop (but those are for Linux.. so your outta luck here) But on windows I'm *trying* Nvu, but it does remind me a bit of.. ugh.. Composer.... I used to use dreamweaver religiously... very easy to use, powerful, and creates decent code (as decent as you can get with WYSIWYG). I no longer use it as I don't have the mula to pay for it and I don't feel like stirring up any legal troubles by using a crack :P....So once again... stay away from FP...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!Good luck!

i use acehtml and i think its really good.

it shows you the code and you can type into it by hand but if you want certain code snippets you just click on a button and the most minimal code possible is inserted.

there is then a sidebar with all the variables you could want to change.

it is sort of like a lazy notepad but the project funtion helps to keep sites together.

also certain buttons like the image one allow wysiwyg style editing of individual elements, things like imagemaps.

the sites i make with it have very clean code and work really well in all different browser.

i recomend it to anyone using a wysiwyg who knows html but cant be bothered to type everything. it is at version 6 at the moment but 3 is out as freeware if you want to try.

http://www.vmn.net/

acefpt isnt bad either.

I usualy just used editor. i think im much of a graphical designed so all i need is the div tag and css. i make my images with Macromedia Fireworks. its a really good program. very intuitive and easy interface. I coudent manage with photoshop. I have a thing called Webgenz CMS thats like an offsite cms thing.(assuming you all know what it means). you just make a template and then set the thing for each variable. i cant explain it very good but its pretty cool.

Well, mainly what I use most of the time is Frontpage for XP, Notepad, and Photoshop CS for my graphics. I know that a lot of people have something against Frontpage, mainly for the people that use it as a crutch and don't try and work on the programming on their own. Me, I use Frontpage mostly to make sure that my layouts look all right and that the color scheme is working. I like the fact that I can edit my html right there, then switch back and check to see how it should display. (Doesn't work real well with my PHP files, but that's okay...I know how they look when they're done.) I know how to edit HTML pretty well, so when I just need to tweak something in the coding that doesn't really effect how the layout looks, I'll just fire up Notepad. I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to my designing...three programs and I'm good to go.

When first starting out, I used mainly text editors(like Notepad) to do all my HTML coding. By starting out doing your own HTML, you will build a solid base of HTML understanding. But soon you will realize that coding yourself has limits and eventually becomes a pain when creating very complex sites. Thats why we move onto HTML editors, like Frontpage, Dreamweaver, etc. I now use Dreamweaver and Fireworks to take my pages to the next level. Sure, people may you that you lose control over your site, but with Dreamweaver, you can go back to the code editor and still put in your own code. Give Dreamweaver a try, theres a 30 day trial download at the macromedia website. A full license is rather costly, but you will find it well worth it for theheadache it saves you. Macromedia also offers an downgrade of dreamweaver called homesite, which is slightly simpler. Both give you the ultimate edge in web design. Theres also a free nifty program called NVU which is a simple HTML editor. And Fireworks is the ultimate web graphic program, hands down. Works seamlessly with dreamweaver.

I started with notepad and learned the basics. Then I moved on to Dreamweaver and got halfway decent with tabled layouts. But now as I'm experimenting with and being impressed with CSS design, I'm starting to use NotePad++. If you like notepad, then you definately want to get NotePad++. It's free, covers many programming languages, has syntax highlighting, small download, and tabs! The tabs are enough reason to use Notepad++ over plain Notepad. it's so much easier to work on an entire website in one window instead of having to wade trhough 20+ windows of Notepad.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever heard of it, but I've been using Arachnophilia for 4 years now, I love it! It's nothing too advanced, but it gets the job done. I like it because it runs great even with Photoshop and all my other programs running (I tried dreamweaver but it took forever and a day to load, and it's the only application I could have open at the time). I use it for HTML and javascript. For PHP, CGI, and css stuff, I use syn text editor.

Arachnophilia

syn Text Editor

First I used Dreamweaver but I did not like it. Than I have tried HTML-KIT and 1st Page.Both are good specially HTML-KIT. But then I was busy in my work and did not have time to write html code so I decided to go back with Dreamweaver. This time I carefully learn its features and I found that it is super tool. It has option for working either in WYSIWYG or HTML code. Now I am enjoying Dreamweaver for my home as well as in my Job.

hey....most of the wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) editor for web designing introduces some lines of code that are not realy neccessary. ANd i dont think frontpage uses the new tech which is the style sheets if they do i think coding it your self still gives more power to the programmer or coder. ANd i dont think you can use front page in developing CGI base website like message board and guestbook or perhaps a chatroom. Over all frontpage are mainly for very simple website or page but when it comes to complicated and very good page its better to code it yourself specially using style sheets. You should learn style sheets.. man its good.... :lol: anyway gud luck

I originally started by using frontpage, as it has a good layout for beginners and is easy to use. It was where i learnt a lot of html, by building it in the design page and then flicking over to html view to see how it all pans out.Now that im a bit more at home with it all, i tend to use Dreamweaver a lot, it has more options and allows you to use designs made in photoshop too.