xisto Community
Airlub

What Do You Use For Web Programming? Frontpage, Notepad, etc.

I use HTMLKit for most of my web design because of it's expandibility (start using a different language? grab another plugin that does what you want) and time-saving features. It has some nice stuff besides coloring your code and line numbers, for example if you type in <a if will fill in <a href="" alt=""></a>, which makes coding a lot of tags much easier than just typing them out by hand, without adding stuff in like some other editors (like Frontpage). It also has stuff like batch search and replace, which is good if you find yourself needing to change the same thing over lots of pages, and an integrated XHTML validator.

Frontpage is by far the best, since it is easy to use and require no HTML skill at all. I've seen other ripoffs of Frontpage, costing about $100 dollars to buy. I never knew you could construct a whole page in Notepad... Hmm, it would require you to preview your page before actually submitting it, since anything could be wrong. And you know how coding can be, since one simple mistake can mess up the whole thing, depending on what you did wrong.

Currently I use notepad. It's the cheapest way to do your own codings, and quite nice if you know what you're doing. I do tend to go and try programs too since they can teach me so so much more than notepad. So for the new people just coming into programming, I recommend using a program instead of notepad haha. That is until you get much better at it. Frontpage or whatever was what I used to use like in the golden ages of when I began. So that quite helped me throught most of it all. TRY IT !!

I tried Frontpage a year or two ago but hated everything about the program. And several years before that, I tried HoTMetaL, which was okay but still not what I really wanted.So, I eventually figured out that I'm just a Notepad type of person. But that's really not as time-consuming as you might think. When I go to create a new Web site, I set up a template in Notepad, then just "Save As" instead of "Save" so that I always have the basic layout ready to go when I want a new document.

I've always found small programs like Frontpage to be sufficent, especially if you are not that fortified in your knowledge of HTML, Java script, Meta script, etc. There are lots of advantages to using a program that will guide you. However, you can't do quite as much, and you can't use technicalities to do something in a slightly unorthodox manner like someone more advanced can or would. However, if you have overestimated yourself and use Notepad or Wordpad, and you left out one character in an HTML tag, you are SOL my friend, until you have figured out what you did wrong on your own, which is a ver time-consuming troubleshoot. Considering what I do isn't that complicated yet, I just use Frontpage to save me a lot of headache. However, I don't see the point in purchasing a more expensive program for it to do the same task. Someone explain this fad to me, especially if you have a valid reason that I have overlooked, and you may just convert me.

What program do you use to make websites? I used to use notepad and HTML unitl I bought Frontpage and I don't know why more people use Notepad. They say it is more flexible when you can do the same thing with Frontpage AND MORE. Frontpage has a Notepad sort of window also so you can choose to do HTML code or work like how you work other MS softwares. I personally love Frontpage. I wish I could get the 2003 edition though...

1064290880[/snapback]

I personally love to use Microsoft FrontPage as well. I has a great interface, especially the 2003 edition. I dislike MS Notepad in the fact that it has too plain of a option. I use Macromedia Dreamweaver as well, but that is a little advance for me with all the CSS stuff and stuff. FrontPage is what I like to use best, so keep using it!

I agree with most pple here. I guess if you wanted to create a site really fast, (without coding it up and learning and already know the code) dreamweaver would be the way to go. I personally use to use notepad, but with php there's issues. Syntax highlighting, error checking (linenumbers), as well as formatting issues. Personally I like HTMLKit from chami. You can find it at download.com. Also notepad++ has syntax highliting if you want to edit a few lines of code for almost any langauage. Even java and c++. Both programs are free, but HTMLKit has the plugin option that allows great integration with php and mysql functions.