xisto Community
Airlub

What Do You Use For Web Programming? Frontpage, Notepad, etc.

What program do you use to make websites? I used to use notepad and HTML unitl I bought Frontpage and I don't know why more people use Notepad. They say it is more flexible when you can do the same thing with Frontpage AND MORE. Frontpage has a Notepad sort of window also so you can choose to do HTML code or work like how you work other MS softwares. I personally love Frontpage. I wish I could get the 2003 edition though...

I used Notepad a lot. I first started out with Notepad it will teach you the fundamentals of HTML by putting in the code yourself instead of the computer program impleamenting the codes for you. As my Skills got more advanced for Notepad, I turned to Macromedia Dreamweaver. I love the programablity of Dreamweaver. Most of my friends find that Dreamweaver is hard and wierd but if you give the program some time you can easily navigate through the program easily. :lol:

I've used a plethora of html/php editors along with Notepad. Some of these editors include Crimson Editor, HTML-Edit, NoteTab Lite, PHP IDE, and others that I can't remember now.Note that these were not WYSIWIG [ What You See Is What You Get ] programs. On the other hand, I have also utilized FrontPage [ which is a WYSIWIG ], but not to the same degree as I have the ones before that. To be quite honest, I've only used it 4 times, and only because I didn't know what the hell I was doing. :PCurrently, I use an absolutely amazing program called PHP Designer 2005. It can except many other languages besides PHP though, plus more. But before I started to utilize this program, I just settled with Xisto's default text editor which is no better than Notepad. Actually, it's worse. But that's just me.

Frontpage is one of the worst programes made for web programing. personaly i use notepad for itt's quick opening speed, because it doesn't have to load anything! if i dont use notepad i use 1st page it is much better than frontpage and comes with over 150 or something like that pre-written scripts, only problem is when i installed a version from one of those pc magazines with free cd's one of the pre-written scripts had a virus so if you just delete that one script you should be fine

I don't know what all the fuss is about Frontpage. I don't have a problem using it. But I have both FP and DW. I use FP normaly because it loads quicker on my computer than DW. But if I'm using images with links in them that I created in Fireworks, I use DW because FP breaks the images up. Image resizing, banners, logos, I use FW. I tried Adobe but I felt more comfortable with FW. I've done a few things with flash but I don't really understand it. About the only time I use it, is if I need to add audio to an image. Other programs I use are Gold Wave, which is an audio editor that allows you to manipulate audio files and change their formats. I use Snag It, which is a screen capture program. And I use ACEFTP for uploading files.

I use dreamweaver and flash and notepad primarily. Notepad is just quicker to make little changes on things sometimes. Occasionally I will use Imamgeready to slice things up and then bring that into Dreamweaver to clean things up. As far as graphics fo rthe sites, I use photoshop, illustrator and flash.

Me, I mainly use notepad and frontpage, mainly because I'm a visual oriented person and don't have the 400 bucks to buy dreamweaver, though I know I'd have a blast if I ever got my hands on a copy. However, in lieu of that, I find that notepad and frontpage, the old standbys work just fine for me...however, I have been suggested to try out Crimson works, or something along those lines, which is supposed to be a notepad plus kinda thing, so I'll check that out and see how that is too.

i learned how to HTML code in the fourth grade because of Notepad. I mainly recoded templates, but it tought my so many tags that I now know by heart. I now use Dreamweaver, but only because I have large student discounts. Dreamweaver comes in handy because it underlins mistakes in your code inr ed, so you don't have to cycle all that code to find one mistake. I believe Frontpage does the same, but I uninstalled Frontpage once I recieved Dreamweaver. My finl advice would be to try to get Dreamweaver for a holiday gift or student discount store/catalog.

EditPlus2, the best text editor for windows.I started web designing/programming when the WYSIWYG editors were absolutely useless so coding HTML by hand was the only option. And I've never have seen any reason to abandon this. I think it would be quite hard for me to learn to use a tool like DreamWeaver or Frontpage. But I've never really used Notepad for HTML designing. Simply because I demand a little more from a text editor than that. Mainly its the code highlighting, I really hate reading un-highlighted code, be it HTML or some programming language.

I haven't tried EditPlus2 yet... I might have to give it a go. I use Dreamweaver and Flash Pro mx2004 for all my sites. I used to use text editors to do all my coding, but with products like Dreamweaver, it takes a lot of the time and effort out of doing simple tasks (ie: setting up a table with 40+ cells in dw takes about 10seconds). I also like using Dreamweaver because it makes it easy to link sites to SQL databases. I find this really helpful and saves a heck of a lot of time in screwing around. I use TextPad for doing minor changes to html/php/css docs on the fly. Text pad is my default text editor (it has some nice syntax highlighting for c/java programming). I really dont have the time (or patience) to wait for Dreamweaver to load up just so I can edit a few lines. A lot of people have this idea that if you use Dreamweaver then you aren't a true web programmet. Well I have to say that over the past few years, I have done a great deal of web programming and I believe that if used correctly, a WYSIWYG program such as Dreamweaver can be one of the best tools for cutting down the time it takes to create a page. If you were serious about it and wanted to churn out sites quickly, then you would be almost silly not to use it (apart from the cost issues).

i prefer Dreamweaver. i think it's just because I'm more familiar with it and I really learned web design on it.... I'm not great with code, but i try to teach myself a lot and the split HTML/preview view is great....

I'm currently using Netscape Composer for my web-pages and serves my needs for my homepage on my ISP's server. At the moment, I have only one website to manage and there are a lot of limitations put by my ISP, so it's in html with some javascripts. I'll probably be using PHP if I can get hosting here at Asta.I've also used Notepad but I find it less helpful because you can't preview your changes. If I could afford a professional web design software like Dreamweaver, I would be using it instead.

A lot of people have this idea that if you use Dreamweaver then you aren't a true web programmer

Do they think Dreamweaver users aren't true we programmers just because it cuts down their effort and time to create web pages and do web programming? I mean, that's why softwares are there for you. Believe me, I don't even know HTML and I can do the most basic text changing stuff in notepad. For example, changing the binary codes from 0 to 1 or vice versa.

I really have to learn HTML and some web programming. Hmm... also, is web programming the same thing as web development? I used to use the latter term for building websites and stuff. But anyway, I hear Dreamweaver is a nice program.

However, you should take a look on that web programming software from Adobe (the CS 2 version). I watched the trial video and dude... it's truly awesome!! AWESOME!! It's jaw-droppingly cool...

You can add side menus, top bars, etc something like that. I mean with just a drag.. and also you can set up template colors (for some reason, it can detect them) from lime to purple or blue. Very interesting idea and I like it. Too bad its cost is something over 200 dollars!!

Now that is jaw-droppingly expensive too :D

There are 2 main tools I use to develop websites, Dreamweaver MX 2004 and UltraEdit 32. I find the latter to be a GREAT text/code editor.That of course is on the windows world, then when I'm on Linux, I tend to use some of the editors that are included (I'm trying to remember the name of the one I use on the graphical interface... but for some reason the name doesn't come to mi mind right now), yet, there's nothing like the good old VI ... ;)