xisto Community
microdude431

What is the size of you HD

I was using a 40GB hard-drive (IBM) until it suddenly stopped working last year - it couldn't be read by my computer. The worst thing was that I was in the middle of an assignment due the following Monday (it stopped working on a Friday) and lost all my data. I practically ran out to the store and got an 80GB hard-drive as it was only $20 more than the 40GB one.Needless to say, I had to reinstall all my software and start my assignment from scratch. But I managed to complete it by Monday. Unfortunately, I am unable to securely connect my current hard-drive and have resorted to using a large clothes peg. :D

3,5" :D Erm, 120Gb and it's getting full and I have no money to buy a bigger one.2 Other computer have 3,2Gb hdd's and the back-up server has 4 hdd:420Mb850Mb2.0Gb3.2Gb

Hello there, space hogs!! *chuckles*Well, it has been at least four years since I bought this computer, which I am using, right now, as I type. Anyway, I have a 55 gigabyte hard drive, which is very old because I never ran a reformat on it.Personally, I would appreciate at least two drives with 40 gigabytes each. However, since the gaming industries are releasing massive RAM-and-space-hogging games, that take up at least three to four gigabytes of space now, we really need additional disk space.Last time I went to this IT mall, I saw this guy ordering a 300 gigabyte hard drive. With a bit of hesitation, I asked him, "Excuse me, but why would anyone need such big storage?" He told me that he needed it for his photos and music.You know, with each digital photo taking 3~4 megabytes right now (with 7~8+ megapixel pictures). Additionally, each mp3 song taking up at least (at an average) of 4~5 megabytes. Ermm... I don't think 300 is just right enough... it's too big.Anyway, his choice, not mine. But can someone explain to me the RPM issue? The more RPM, the better? If yes, how? Why?

In my ordinary PC:1x120GB Samsung1x200GB SeagateServer: 1x10GB MaxtorServer at a freind: 1x IBM 30GBLaying at the floor waiting to be used: :D1x2.1Gb Pioneer1x15GB IBM1x4.2Gb MaxtorWhen i have more money am i gonna to by a new Samsung 250Gb disc :D

ive got a Seagate internal 120gb HD andive got a Western Digital external 250gb HD haha the external was on sale for 79 bucks at circuit city, and was actually an internal, but i got on ebay and bought a case for it to make it external yay :D

And by the way cyborgxxi RPM does matter for shure

You'll have to explain to my WHY the RPM matters for sure.

What does RPM stand for? What does RPM do? What are its effects to the hard drive?

Please answer these questions properly or don't answer them at all... >_<

Okay. Thanks for the information about the RPM terminology. So, size and RPM matters. But RPM matter mores but more directly to the size of the hard disk, I am guessing.But this is my second question: which company's hard disks or hard drives are the best? Or does it matter at all? There has to be one that stands out and makes better quality... or shines a little more than the others. Is there such a company?Some popular companies are Seagate, Kingston... err Samsung... that's all I know but if you know some answers to the questions above, then please answer them. I am going to need a hard drive soon and I will need some essential information before I buy one for real.

I have two hard disk, the firs of them is a Hitachi, of 80Gb, and the second of them is a 40GB Segate, this two hard disk are very powerfull, and I make two partition in each one, to prevent the crashes, and also to have backups of my files. In one of them I have Win Xp, and in the other I have Linux, because is important to have this last operation system, and run very well with the hard drives.

Well for my desktop setup I have 4 hard drives installed. Two of these are running in Raid-0 and they are both 36 GB Western Digital Raptor drives. These are super fast 10k-rpm drives. I have all my system files on these, such as windows/linux OS and also all my program files. They do a very good job of keeping everything nice and quick. Then I also have two 200 GB Seagate 7.2k-rpm drives. I originally had these drives before I got the raptors, so now with the raptors, my setup is complete. These two drives I mainly use for video storage and any image files (ISO's) that I have and would like easy access to. I also have about 80 GB of it set aside for music recordings of my band. For me, 400 GB is more than enough space at the moment. I mean, who would need to use more than 400 GB worth of files on a daily basis? My laptop has one 80 GB hard drive and that (just barely) is enough for me. I suppose that once you get bigger hard drive space, you tend to use more. I remember having a 20 GB drive in my old desktop and then when I got my 80 GB I couldn't believe that I had been using a 20 GB drive. It just seems so small!