xisto Community
xelloss

What's Your Tool of Web Design? Say Something about your web design

What's Your Tool of Web Design?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To all of you that brag about only using Notepad. Why on earth would you

do that? To keep it uncluttered? Come on, as long as it's not WYSIWYG editors they

wouldn't clutter your code. In 1stPage 2000 you can choose the level of the editors

participation to an almost notepadlike style.

Still with all the advantages of a real editor when you need it!

OK! Go for my throat now

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, well, first off I'm not bragging that I'm using notepad. I just find it much more efficient then using a big program such as Dreamweaver and other programs to do such a simple task like coding a site. Sometimes you can even cut out the uploading process by writing the html/java/php straight into cpanel lol. That is...if I'm short on time ^_^

lol, well, first off I'm not bragging that I'm using notepad. I just find it much more efficient then using a big program such as Dreamweaver and other programs to do such a simple task like coding a site. Sometimes you can even cut out the uploading process by writing the html/java/php straight into cpanel lol. That is...if I'm short on time :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I assume it's cool to be coding in Notepad, but I don't get it at all!

What's the convenience? There's a lot of editors that's as fast to work with.

I write rather fast, and I love syntax highlighting for quick access to typo's.

I think it's crucial to have fast access to images and libraries.

Working in multiple documents is so much easier!

I say, for a little tiny homepage with no content at all....I may consider using it...

Naaaah, don't think so.

hmm....well sometimes it's a matter of preference. I just prefer using notepad. I use to use Frontpage, but then stopped after a while and stuck with the simple notepad. It gets the job done and I'll content with the results it provides me ^_^

hmm....well sometimes it's a matter of preference. I just prefer using notepad. I use to use Frontpage, but then stopped after a while and stuck with the simple notepad. It gets the job done and I'll content with the results it provides me :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you were use to frontpage i can understand why you think Notepad is better :P

There's nothing wrong with just using notepad. Most other programs simply generate html code for you, so if you KNOW the code (IF), then it will do almost anything you like. However, it is very time consuming. I can't afford any decent design software, so I tend to use MS publisher to get text frames etc. in the right places, but usually go through the code myself after complilation and remove all the rubbish.

Hi DanThMan,Read your reply .......... I must say it is one of the longest repy that I've ever received in disagreement of my view !!HTMLGATE I repeat still SUCKS. I can't believe any professional using it !!. Ab8 1stPage2000, I frankly don't know what is it all ab8 ; I've never used it myself.Personally I also do respect all the people who are writing freely distributable softwares, but that in no way makes them the best in the world !! DREAMWEAVER MX is a professional software, meant only for professional people ........ ie people who need a fast and efficient development tool. These professionals know the nitty-gritties of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP etc very well and then they use this very specialized software.I am never saying that it is the sole tool that should be used, but I'm trying to tell that it is the best according to me !!. If you are happy ab8 your existing pace of web-page development with your meentioned tools, that's fine by me.A request : PLEASE try out DREAMWEAVER MX 2004. (you can get the trial version at the Macromedia website only) and compare its features with your mentioned softwares.I surely agree with you that DREAMWEAVER does cost a bit heavy, but so does any other professional applications. Remember, it is solely meant for professionals and it can be used to its fullest potentioal only by a professional.Bye,Bigyan

I surely agree with you that DREAMWEAVER does cost a bit heavy, but so does any other professional applications.

That depends entirely upon what you call "professional". MySQL database is in my mind an incredibly "professional" piece of software which is used by some of the biggest and most "professional" companies in the world including NASA and Google. It however is completely free!

Yeah Darren,You are absolutely correct. Some gr8 softawres are free like MySQL, Irfan View etc. In a slightly philosophical tone I may add, that most needed things in life are free : air, water, love etc.Bye,Bigyan

Dreamweaver is the most complete... But i use HTML Kit. Just a plain editor but with lots of extra tools... You don't want to get back to notepad after you used a real editor like this... :P

Hey Tweak37,Yeah, if you are really professional, ten at some point or the other, you are bound to leave notepad and teke up any HTML editors. I personally am a gr8 fan of DREAMWEAVER, but if used in the wrong way, it can end up producing a hell lot of useless lines. And whats more, you can test your pages for most of the popular versions of web browsers !!Bye,Bigyan

hmm...i don't know. Does it really matter how you created the outcome? As long as it works...it really shouldn't matter if you used Dreamweaver, Frontpage, notepad, or any other editor. I don;t think any way is more "professional" then the other...

hmm...i don't know. Does it really matter how you created the outcome? As long as it works...it really shouldn't matter if you used Dreamweaver, Frontpage, notepad, or any other editor. I don;t think any way is more "professional" then the other...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice thought there ChronicLoser and so true!

It all comes down to the person in front of the keyboard.

There's always going to be a right,wrong,easier or harder way of doing things!

As long as the outcome seems fine in the eye of the beholder, it's ok!

It's time to let go, and walk away in peace :P

cheers

Nice thought there ChronicLoser and so true!

It all comes down to the person in front of the keyboard.

There's always going to be a right,wrong,easier or harder way of doing things!

As long as the outcome seems fine in the eye of the beholder, it's ok!

It's time to let go, and walk away in peace  :P 

cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree more. What makes a professoinal is mostly the result that they produce, not how they do it. Although I myself am ow beginning to use Dreamweaver MX as it is powerful and simple :P .

FrontPage is evil. Please, please stop using it. Forever.

It makes HTML that is illegal. It screws up your site, and it makes the most ugly sites ever. Dreamweaver is good, use that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No kidding! And it always adds tons of extra coding that you don't want (like what happens when you save a Works document as an HTML file). I don't even know why people use that junk! My school site uses it, and I could hardly figure out how their coding worked, it was so messy! It had the weirdest tables I've ever seen. But honestly, any novice on an automatic HTML program like that is bound to make some ugly HTML and also ugly pages resulting from the bad HTML. That's why Notepad is the best! It's pretty much guaranteed to be cleaner and easier to space the HTML to your liking for ease of editing.