xisto Community
OpaQue

What brings you here? Give your Feedback? Tell us what you feel about this site.

I joined because of the no-ads promise, The idea of having this forum is great but there are al ot of topics that i cannot post in because i am not into that area. like somebody stated above, you could provide a small icon that could be added to the users "links" or an icon just saying that the webpage was hostied by astahot. I have not received any Hosting privelages yet but am hoping to do so.obviousy what you could offer as alternatives would not havre ot be forced, for example, the user could add the "hosted by asta host" icon anywhere in the page and make it moveable, or they could just lump it and use the forums

What brings me here

Many people have cited different reasons for selecting Xisto.com.

In my case, I was searching for a Ad-FREE MySQL PHP FREE hosting service. I did not have much confidence either that there may be a service like this present in this world when I started the search. But when I found Xisto, I was simply delighted.

We, who are opting for FREE Hosting Services, are ready to compromise and co-operate with the Host in every possible way.

So, earlier I have spotted some hosting services that place Ad-banners either at the TOP or Right Frame of your website.

In each case, I had to change the Layout of my webpages to accomodate for Ad-space. And as you can imagine,what it means.

So far as Xisto.com, though I have not hosted my site here as yet, but every thing is OK.

Regarding compulsory postings, you have clarified your stand at the time of signup and I appreciate your rules. Also staying attached in such an active forum gives me lots of pleasure, information and updates.

Personally, I have got quite a number of fresh information from the forum postings here at Xisto . And in course of our online activities, all of us find so many interesting things, and I think, when we get an opportunity to share those with like-minded persons from all corner of the globe, it really carries a sense of satisfaction.

You may also encourage good posting

encourage good posting

by selecting the best post of the month or something like that.

However, I have a small request. As in my case, it really takes good time to post a quality posting. So please give more preferences towards the merit/quality of a post rather than its length.

And if possible, please publish some model posts

publish some model posts

so that I may work on improving the quality of posts in future.

So, go ahead with your present services. Best wishes for you.

I will be more exact in my answers:

1> Are you ready to accept ads on your website ?

No, i left the previous host cause of forced ads, not because i'm not grateful, but that prevents me from putting my own ads, my site depends on ads for now.

2> Are you ready to make a small payment for not posting?

If this will be the rule i think first i would get to know the price, compare it with other sites considering services, then i will decide to park here or not, but a way or another i like this forum, i have friends here now ;)

3> Do you feel that you are compelled to post? If yes, Suggest about other methods in which we can ask you to come up and support us. We are supported by advertising networks.

Posts is a good way too, because a lot of users now have no patience to stay, post good posts to get anything, even if it's a good service like this for free, such like that user left yesterday because he post a long spam post and when it been refused he left :P i also suggest to make users put a refering small button on thier sites main pages, that will bring more people and more traffic, even users with package 1 so they will work to get package 2 "by the way i'm on package 1 too :o".

4> Do you feel that the facilities provided by this host is enough for you. If not, what do you require.

It's so enough i think for me, just may i need more space, at this time only i will apply to upgrade my account to package 2, for now i don't need it so package 1 is enough, and i want to ask a question, who else gives this number of databases, e-mail addresses and ....etc for free?, i didn't see like that before "just when i was having my own VPS i was having my hosting with everything unlimited for free :o".

5> Do you require Cpanel. [ We provide the most advanced cpanel ]

Yes, it's one of the best features here.

6> Can you comprise Cpanel with more hosting facilites like space and BW.

NO, i prefer to have Cpanel more than having 2GB storage space or BandWidth.

I hope my post will help, really it's a very good service you introduce to users for free, Thank you Xisto.

Answer things like :-1> Are you ready to accept ads on your website ? No, Ads are the reason why I left previous hosts. They cause a very huge distraction in the design of the webpage as well as the optimization of the webpage itself.2> Are you ready to make a small payment for not posting? I believe that those that dont want to contribute in posting and helping others in this community should pay a small amount. But those that are willing to help others than they should be awarded with a free host.3> Do you feel that you are compelled to post? If yes, Suggest about other methods in which we can ask you to come up and support us. We are supported by advertising networks. Well, at times I feel a pressure to post but I can understand that I have to give something back to the person that will be hosting my page for free. Not many sites out there like this would give people free hosting packages without a devious catch. So, the posting to keep my hosting service dont bother me at all, I find it to be very reasonable and a great deal and cant get any better than this.4> Do you feel that the facilities provided by this host is enough for you. If not, what do you require. Although I have not been hosted, I believe the features of the regular package to be very promising. It seems to have everything I will need to design a professional webpage, except the free domain name...hehe5> Do you require Cpanel. [ We provide the most advanced cpanel ] I believe the feature of cPanel provided will indeed come useful in many future aspects of my designing plans. So yes, I would most likely love cPanel.6> Can you comprise Cpanel with more hosting facilites like space and BW. Dont quite comprehend this question...

1> Are you ready to accept ads on your website ?

No, because Ads are very nasty, distract the user, make a lot of troubles in the design of the webpage.

2> Are you ready to make a small payment for not posting?

No definitely.

3> Do you feel that you are compelled to post? If yes, Suggest about other methods in which we can ask you to come up and support us. We are supported by advertising networks.

No, i'm happy to share my knowledge and help, and i think that other members feel the same.

4> Do you feel that the facilities provided by this host is enough for you. If not, what do you require.

Not yet been hosted, reviewing the options i think that is ok, maybe in a future i can complete this.

5> Do you require Cpanel. [ We provide the most advanced cpanel ]

Yes, Cpanel is a good set of tools, i used it in other websites and helps a lot.

6> Can you comprise Cpanel with more hosting facilites like space and BW.

No, i prefer to have it rather than get more space and BW

Suggestions:

Implement some templates Ready to Use.

Telnet access.

Regards,

I joined not long before Xisto took over. When I signed up, the credits were actually easy to understand. I liked it. The amount of features was pretty good too. Then Xisto came and everything changed. I signed up as soon as I got told of the new system. Somehow my signing up didn't get through and I later lost my account as a result. After jumping through a few hoops, things finally got working, but my account didn't last long.I like the forums, but I absolutely hate the Xisto hosting. I've given up trying to make sense of their "you have to buy eggs if you want bread" service. I never did get my questions about how hosting credits work in plain easy-to-understand english. Honestly - I think it's just random. The whole registration process was an absolute nightmare that wasn't worth it in the end, when credits just seem to disappear for no reason.I'm already hosting with another provider and much happier than I was when Xisto took over. No clue on how to stop them sending threat mail about "pay us or your account will be suspended" kind of stuff. I actually did go in to try and "top up" my account once (financially) but found that if paying through internet bank transaction, they would only accept no less than $100 (wtf!?!), I'd have to fill in this horror form of details and then I'd actually have to email them to let them know the transaction had been made.Xisto: what a #$%^&*$ mess.

I joined not long before Xisto took over.

Am a bit confused here. As far as I know , the founder of Xisto is Opaque, the member number one and the founder of Xisto is also Opaque. Then how come this take over happened. You mean Opaque bought over Xisto indirectly through Xisto. Yesterday I was just browsing here when I got to this page: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/86160-topic/?findpost=1064319410. There Opaque mentions the story behind all this.

Well I came here through the suggestion of my pen pal through IRC. I need a basic hosting with full fledged features for testing/learning. Currently as I know, there are very few free hosts which offer extensive features (send mail, curl, safe mode off etc. And I have been with them too, but the servers are too slow, and when you use there sendmail, the mails arrive after two or three days!

I can't tell anything about Xisto right now, as I haven't got hosting. But I am staying optimistic.
Edited by Spencer (see edit history)

I can't tell anything about Xisto right now, as I haven't got hosting. But I am staying optimistic.

It seems that now everything is going fluently, as I saw your myCENTS appeared rather quickly and are growing rather fast. So you can feel the way your posting here can feed your hosting fees, and your ordering of a website at Xisto - Support should also go fluently the same way.

Great idea! Hosting for Posting. Diskspace & Bandwidth are more than enough for many people. Another idea that many expressed is referrals and so I. The other thing is this keep some more ads, I can barely see any ads here. The community here is just great as it was on Xisto. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for having such a concept of Hosting for Posting or Community Based Hosting.Anyone can have a website. It can be a subdomain of any primary hosting site, but it won't be taken seriously unless it's an actual .com domain name.So I was up and running on a free webhost, but I really don't want to go public with it. I have most of my site working but I don't want to start making it public without first getting the domain name.Unfortunately, in doing my research.. there are dozens of sites claiming to be "the best" -- and dozens more "Best Hosting Sites" -- which all are being paid money by these "best hosting sites" to be kept in the top 10. This is not real and it's likely that you are just getting ripped off.After searching, I am between GoDaddy.com, ByetHost.com, and Xisto.com -- and Xisto.com seems to be more community oriented and focused and looks like they care about their members -- or at least, they should! I sure am glad I found this site.. and I've yet to come any negative reviews. I'm here to stay. I'm just wondering what happened to everyone. I see active members, but I guess there aren't 50,000+ active members anymore. Hopefully there are still plenty around. Glad I joined the community.I do feel like this is the first official webhost that I am putting my trust in completely. I'm hoping it remains that way. Seems like you finally understand the concept: Invest in your clients and they will invest in you.

not yet a hostee *uhem* but i i'm here because i've been trying for sometime to find a good free hosting service, read some pretty positive reviews about Xisto so here i am... and i'm looking forward to learn alot from everyone here and keen to help anyone if need sofor ads, i really wouldn't mind putting up an ad of Xisto on my site... at the moment i'll be putting up just a personal website and see from there...

There are a few things that bring me here.

• I want to save up some MyCents to buy some of the items Xisto has on offer.
  • This forum used to be an interesting place where you could find answers and solutions to about anything and everything.
  • I will elaborate on the above point a bit in the rest of this post.

I say "This forum used to be....", as, years ago, when I was here before, there were a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on here, and you could post here about just about anything you had a problem with (PC, hardware, software, mobile phone, whatever), and you would get a competent answer in a relatively short time, and, moreover, the reply would usually solve your problem.

I was really surprised to see how much this place has gone down since then (does Opaque even still post here?), I really could not believe my own eyes.

It does look, though, like most of the people I knew back then have not left completely, as a lot of them still seem to be on positive MyCents balances.

So, I was really wondering what exactly has caused this downfall.

Another reason why I am here, apart from wanting to buy some things, is to add to the number of members and posts on this forum, and while I know that just my presence here will hardly make any difference, I will try to persuade some friends to join too

Also, while I am on the subject, I have been made aware of the fact that the automated MyCents calculation system is no longer in operation, but I think it would be nice if my balance could be started up and kept updated, so that I could at least follow where I stand if I am to make some purchases.

So, here are some reasons why I am here, on a place that used to be so much alive once, and, at the risk of repeating myself, I am hardly going to make any difference to the situation by being here, however, I am going to do my utter best (together with some friends) to try and bring some life back here.

We hope this place is lively like before. Since 2012, Google put many penalty on us, Mainly due to heavy spam. Before the Penalty, We used to attract Millions of Users from Google Search. New content posted on this site would get indexed in just a couple of hours to Google Index. During that time,  Website owners had to wait almost 1 to 2 months for their website content to be indexed by Google. Very popular websites were indexed hourly. We could not keep up with this great responsibility. With your website so popular and famous, We should had taken spam and fake content very seriously. We were some where short of our efforts to keep the forums clean. The biggest mistake during that time was we allowed Guests Members to post on our forums without registration. This caused a lot of spam to pour in which was very difficult to hunt and clean.

After Penalty, We employed 3 people at Xisto Office to dedicatedly filter spam ... but going through Half-Million Posts manually by staff was impossible. Nothing worked... and the forum which pulled Millions of Visitors from Google Search was no more.  From Millions, the traffic feel down to thousands... then hundreds... and finally 0. It was this time,  We decided to bring down the forums and remove our site (webpages) from Google Index completely... so that we can start fresh.

I took the task to clean the forums all by myself by making PHP scripts. Combining 2 Forums, Astahost and Trap17 was another task which was again time consuming. There was no support from the forum software company (invision) to help us do this. So I had to understand the database table structure and do the importing/merging of 2 forums into 1 took a lot of time. Then we found out that no just spam but also another Major Issue reported by Google was our forums were filled with links and images posted by members which were "dead" i.e. no longer worked. So again, further PHP scripts were made to scan, identify the links and check them if they were genuine. 

After a long long break from Google Index, We recently submitted our new clean site to Google and here we are... waiting for our site to be back in good standing with Google Search. :)